Author Topic: Indian 741B from England  (Read 26599 times)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
Re: Indian 741B from England
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »
The battery is a sealed one off of eBay, originally intended to power "mobility scooters" for disabled folk and measures 6" x 4" x 4".
Watch out for that kind of sealed battery! If, and most are, it is only intended for trickle charge it can explode quite nasty (there's many that can verify this) if you charge them with too much amperage, it's doable -with the bike generator or alternator- but takes an adapted electronic regulator to avoid overcharging! The battery got internal valves or special material between the sheets of lead for the induced gas and the pressure can go kaboom.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:18:00 PM by charlie101 »

indianjoe45

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:42 AM »
Wow where have I been..... Here is another Indian bound for the salt and looks nearly finished! I have to say the styling looks like an early Arlen Ness. You are obviously a very good metal worker. I look forward to seeing your bike in the future.
All the best....
Joe
Melbourne, Australia

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Charlie, it goes on a very low trickle charge and seems fine. Joe, thanks for your kind comments. It's been likened to Ness a few times, and isn't helped by the fact that I ran a Chop-Shop for 20 years!
The powdrecoating came back last Wednesday night and it's stunning, red metallic candy tinwear and "Chromex" frame, which really does look like real chrome. Assembly began at 5am Thursday as it had to be at a show Friday. Billet ally yokes (triple trees) arrived mid-day. Finished assembly at 10.30pm and managed to get it together without a single scratch to the paint, then drove to the show arriving Friday morning after a 7 hour night-drive. At 59 I'm getting too old for this. Then we partied the whole weekend!
Should be running in the next week or so (tank sealer to cure, cables, hoses and wiring to finish).
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
Wow, I got the old girl running last week, but kicking it over whilst laid on the tank holding the clip-on bars is going to take some getting used to, as it always had 18" apehangers on 6" risers! Still a lot to do to get it right, mainly carburation. The electronic ignition I got from Moen at Indian Parts Europe is amazing, what a spark (I'm using a single coil off a Yamaha 750 triple).
It's funny how you think you've got everything how you want it, you lay in bed not counting sheep, but going through the bike from end to end wondering what you could have done better. This idea came to me about 3am when I was mentally going through the parts under the bench in my shed.
When I did the cable-hand operated clutch, it worked great, but at the back of my mind I could see the cable breaking or something going wrong at Bonnevelle, so I decided to go hydraulic, using only parts I'd stashed away incase they came in handy one day, but I would have to make my own slave cylinder. I had a bike clutch master cylinder under the bench, and also a brake master cylinder off one of those Piaggio scooter thingys (dunno why I kept that, but I do now.)
With hydraulics, the amount of travel on the slave cylinder is dependant on the bore of the master cylinder. The master was 14mm, so I somehow worked it out that the slave bore ought to be @12mm. Amazingly, the Piaggio one was 12mm, so it was stripped and relieved of its piston & seals. Had to do a bit of machining on the piston to get more travel.
Big problem 1. How do I bore out a PERFECT 12mm hole when I have no reamer? Solution: Sharpen my only 12mm drill to perfection, put the ally bar in the lathe, pilot-drill to 11mm, then wind the 12mm drill in so slowly I nearly fell asleep doing it (60mm of boring boring). Result? Abso-bloody-lutely perfect!
Bid problem 2. OK, the piston moves 15mm but I want the clutch lever to move at least 30mm or more. Solution....A bell-crank lever, with the top pushrod adjustable with a ratio of either 2:1 or 2.5:1. Both worked nicely, but I plumped for 2.5:1, as (like my Mrs says) length matters.
This whole setup was made from stuff laying in the workshop. If the "Earl's" hose had been 1" shorter, it wouldn't have fit! Total cost £0. Time spent making it, 12 hours without a break.
Does it work? Better than I could ever imagine. Light lever & super-smooth.
Last night I forced the other half into the workshop, I wanted to show her how nice my super-trick digital speedo looked. "Wow" she said, as it zoomed through the numbers. "Do you like that?" I asked. "Yes, but I said wow because the bloody thing started first kick". I like my missus, and I LOVE my Indian.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Hi Desperate...

Yes, it takes a lot of elbow grease to build stuff on a budget!!! Keep on the good work...

I should know, I'm doing the same, trying to built a Bonneville bike for next year for next to nothing...

But I'm with the opposition... H-D...!!!

I will start a built diary as soon as I can get decent photos out of my worned out camera...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
Hiya Patrick, are you the person building a Harley '45 that Andy from American-Vee told me about? Nothing wrong with Harleys, I've owned a few myself. If you're UK-based, get in contact, none of us has any money, but we can sure pool our skills. My email's down at the moment but my number's 01493 733695. There's a bunch of us going to Bonneville in 2012 with Oz (gives us time to beg, borrow or steal to get there.)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
You know it everyones welcome Patrick
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Hi Desparate, Hi Oz,

Yeah, that's me... Andy lives just 5 miles from me...

But it won't be a 45ci, more like a 55ci. Shot of the cycle parts in the garage where you can hardly swing a cat...

Spent nearly all today on AutoCAD, drawing mods and bits for the 3/8th Swagelok s/s valve I'm gonna use as a fuel valve, with lanyard auto shut off from the bars and incorporated auto kill switch...

I'm trying/aiming for next year's Speed Week cause it'll be my 60th...

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:33:12 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 04:05:54 AM »
Hi Patrick
Looking good it looks just about finished.If you dont make it next year we could probably squeeze you in the container if you wanted.
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2010, 06:34:20 AM »
Is that a K model you got there Patrick?
Thats a rare ol' beast on these shores, thats for sure.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Hi Patrick, Andy's coming to my place to take some pictures, try and grab a lift. Meanwhile, here's my latest update and at the moment I HATE it.
I thought everything was going too well. Borrowed another carb of Phixer and it fired first kick, revving freely, then after 15 seconds it locked solid....bastard. I needed to get at the crankshaft nut to turn it, which meant stripping half the bike to get at the primary bolts. I'd never actually worked on the bottom end before, apart from the clutch, and getting the inner primary off was a puzzle, but I found the problem (I hope). The crankshaft pulley was finger tight, and instead of driving on the taper, the sprocket was driving on the key, which had bent and allowed the inside of the sprocket to bind against the crankcase nose. An easy fix, and new keys, nuts etc are on thier way from good old Indian Parts Europe (in Denmark).
Now I know what's wrong I LOVE it again.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:36:24 PM by desperate »

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
Phew! I bet cou carked yer sel as we say up noorth!

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
Is there a Geordie interpretor on this forum :-D

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
Is there a Geordie interpretor on this forum :-D
Hmmmmm....a bit of language-crossover her. "Carked" is a Geordie way of saying "done a poo" (excuse me, moderators), and "yer sel" is Geordie for "your self". Here in the UK, Geordies are seen as the sort of person you wouldn't like to be sat next to in a pub, drinking pints of bitter. Geordies prefer Newcastle Brown Ale, and after they've drunk a few pints, want to fight the world and tell you how wonderful the City of Newcastle is, whereas the rest of the "UK" won't go anywhere near the place because of people like Oz live there. People who live in the next town, which is in reality part of Newcastle, but on the wrong side of the River Tyne, are called "Maccums" and the "Geordies" hate them, so please don't call Oz a "Maccum", he'll go mad. Anyway, geography lesson over and back to the Indian.

Waking up this morning I felt relieved I'd found the problem, and the whole episode had an unexpected bonus. Whilst waiting for the parts to arrive from Moen, I've decided to do a few jobs now I can get at it. I've helicoiled all the threads in the engine (where the chaincase bolts on) to 6mm, and drilled out the rear mounts in the gearbox & tapped them 8mm instead of 1/4 UNC (I'm getting partially metrified). Now the chaincase is held on the gearbox with 5 bolts instead if the 2 it always had, and its annoying oil drip will be no more. Also blanked off where the dynamo chain came out of the front so it doesn't chuck oil out, and made new gaskets all round.

Tomorrow, I'm going through the clutch assembly (it's in good nick except for a few burrs) and the oil pump's coming off for a full check over & clean-out. I've also found another rear wheel off some vee-twin Honda with an enormous Avon Venom-X 170/80/15 tyre, as new, so I'm going to see if there's any way I can squeeze the whole wheel in (the wheel in it is Honda Shadow, also 15".)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Dont go too wide chris your bike may not be heavy enough to get traction on a wider rubber its like loads of rubber on the trikes! not enough weight and you will just spin up.

and you are quite right you wouldnt like to get stuck in a pub on a dark night with the likes of me and hmmm TEAM OZCO,or on the other hand its always good for a giggle aint it. No Macums allowed or maybe one or two. ooo boy is that a new ooter on yer scooter.

ttfn Oz