Author Topic: Indian 741B from England  (Read 26604 times)

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
Re: Indian 741B from England
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
Ha ha OZ, my £3 Ebay watch is still going.
Serious question again. Are assisted starts allowed? I'm about to do my controls and would like to go foot clutch & hand change, as I'm used to it, but pulling away in the low gearing I will have to use will probably burn out the clutch or I'll stall it, plus slipping it from a standing start will cause balance problems, I had that before when I changed the gearing when it was a road bike. I was thinking of trying hand clutch and foot change so I can keep both feet down, anyone tried it?
It's difficult to interpret some of the rules, but from what I read, it's possibly allowed as long as the engine is running???
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:17:37 PM by desperate »
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »
Goodness Chris...if I could build at half the speed you're building,
I could build a Jumbo Jet in a week.

Bike looks brilliant!

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
I got my first bike 8 years ago and i think in that time i haven't seen enough Indians to count on one hand. I guess they all meet in Bonneville. Now i have to go.
Wierd is good

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
See you there in 2012 CK! I've not done a lot on mine lately, but I did finally make room to wheel it outside. It's nice to see it in daylight. Next jobs are foot change and hand clutch, which aint as easy as it sounds.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »
Bike's looking good Chris !!!

... Next jobs are foot change and hand clutch, which aint as easy as it sounds.
Doesn't sound easy to me.
How do you plan on doing it, especially the foot change ?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »
Hows it going Gaffer?
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
Bike's looking good Chris !!!

... Next jobs are foot change and hand clutch, which aint as easy as it sounds.
Doesn't sound easy to me.
How do you plan on doing it, especially the foot change ?

Here's the front of the footchange, no drawings, just a couple of cardboard templates, and the design worked out in bed while trying to get to sleep without thinking about the bike (which is impossible.....I even wake up thinking about it!
It's pretty simple, the two brackets clamp each side of the primary casings to support a 3" tube, through which is a cross-shaft holding the rose-jointed rods. Each lever is drilled & tapped several times to give loads of adjustment. The foot pedal (which isn't finished) will be "heel & toe". This is my second prototype, but I reckon it'll work really nicely. The fiddliest part will be setting up the "heel & toe" to get perfect angles.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Good on ya Chris
Pleased to hear you still aint sleeping.
of to italy to see SIDI on thursday for a fortnight wahoo I think he is still a full paid up member of the Wide Awake Club but I hope not I dont reckon I can do all nighters  anymore ...... or can I hmmm will have to see.

Time for another chin wag in your Garage soon oh and how do I get a copy of the Mag I aint seen one yet!

TTFN Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 07:05:04 AM »
Footpedal's done and I've tried it out. It works smoothly but needs tweeking as the gearchange lever on the clutch housing goes "over centre" when I select 3rd. Luckily this is an easy fix, it simply needs a longer lever.
I've mocked up my idea for a hand clutch and can't believe it, it works really well and is smooth and light, so now I'm off to shape (by hand) those billet ally parts.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »
Several hours of drilling and filing later, it's done.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
looking good chris!!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
like the look of your bike--if you are going to race at speedweek your number plate will have to be in front of your axle             willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
Thanks Willie, I'll move them forwards. I'm still making all the parts that look so simple once they're bolted on. This is my battery tray, it only took six hours to make and fit, so I can remove the battery in seconds. I had to notch out the frame, but it's the only place it would fit where there won't be excessive heat. The battery is a sealed one off of eBay, originally intended to power "mobility scooters" for disabled folk and measures 6" x 4" x 4".

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
Another job done....last weekend I met up with a mate who deals in old British bike spares, and he gave me a pile of BSA, Triumph and Norton pipes. With these pipes I managed to make my exhausts, which are 1-5/8", so I turned up some adaptors which also double up as heavy duty clamps. Each pipe is made of three pieces, and after cutting and shutting, only two pipes from that pile remain!

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »
Wow, I've finally finished the "Dry Build" and stripped it down. After 2 days of filing and sanding and finishing welds I couldn't get at, it's gone for powdercoating, the frame in "Chromex" (looks amazingly like real chrome) and the tinwork in red candy metallic, plus some other parts in "Gunmetal". I get it back next Wednesday night, only problem being I have to have to leave with it Thursday night for one of the biggest shows in the UK, plus the forks are at the machinists for a set of billet ally yokes which will also be ready Wednesday and....the tank & frame decals are also being done, but they'll be ready Tuesday. Phew! :-o