Author Topic: Indian 741B from England  (Read 26607 times)

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
Indian 741B from England
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
A short introduction. In the UK back in the sixties thjere were no "Custom" magazines, so at 14 I would flick through Hot Rod at my newsagents, but couldn't afford to buy it. At 16 I went to the cinema to watch some wierd film starring Frankie Avalon, and it did my head in, it was called Bikini Beach, and there was footage of Tommy Ivo's "Showboat". It really did my head in. In England we had one drag strip which had only been open a year, and for my 16th birthday I got my Dad to take me (on his old scooter).
The other year I was looking through some of my old school rubbish, and found a picture I had drawn of a chopper. Now, back then ('67) everyone drew Harleys, but I had drawn an INDIAN! I'll try and find it and scan it. At 18 I actually owned one, it cost me £10, happy days. From then on I have rarely been without one even though they're pretty rare here, and I've owned my current one for 20+ years. It's been through many re-incarnations, and last year it was a show winning trike. I sold the chassis and the engine's been sitting in my workshop with me wondering what to do next, until Oz turned up with his salt stories, and that night, after we'd drunk two bottles of vodka, its final build was decided, it's coming to Bonneville in 2012.
This might be a long build, I'm not sure, and as a "Newbie" I might need some help and advice, but it WILL be there. The motor's already had an extensive rebuild and is running Royal Enfield pistons, Peugeot valves, modified head and gas flowed but I reckon I'd better do the bottom end. Building the bike is the easy bit as I spent 20 years building frames.
I'm so fired up with getting to the "Holy Place" that even now, I'm having trouble sleeping.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Indian 741B from England
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
Funny how the "Holy Place" has such a draw on people around the world.  I'm looking forward to seeing this build.  Its nice to see an engine on a bench and it will get a frame built around it.  Have you any "chiseled in stone" plans or are they still very flexible?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:44 AM »
Welcome, Welcome... any friend of Oz's is a friend of mine. We finally were fortunate enough to meet at Bonneville and he is a good man. I am posting a pic of the three of us(My husband Willie, Oz and myself) out on the salt after one of my runs. I offered a place when he comes to the states, and you are welcome, as well. I have a soft heart for men who race, especially on another continent, so come on by on your way to the big white dyno.
I am also posting a picture of one of my favorite Indians and the awesome Lady who rides her, Jill Iverson. Look forward to seeing your build. Welcome and Good Luck.

Sheri Buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
With a welcome like that you have no option but to come to Bonneville.  Sheri and Willie are the salt of the earth.  And Jill's Indian is everyones favorite Indian!  You won't be alone Indianwise.  I spotted this one at the last El Mirage.

By weslake at 2010-05-19
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:02 AM »
Funny how the "Holy Place" has such a draw on people around the world.  I'm looking forward to seeing this build.  Its nice to see an engine on a bench and it will get a frame built around it.  Have you any "chiseled in stone" plans or are they still very flexible?
Thanks Cheri. Me and Oz shared a house for years, he's great. He also worked for me for many years and it was me who taught him how to build frames.
Nortonist, my frame is pretty well sorted in my head. Here's a picture of the bike as it was a couple of years ago.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
might need a little bit less rake this time chris!

It was quite strange when I met Willie and Sheri, Willie reminded me of you chris I reckon you will get on like a house on fire but hopefully not my house again.might even be Beeroclock

Chop Chop Chris the boat leaves in 101weeks!!!

TTFN Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
A short introduction. In the UK back in the sixties thjere were no "Custom" magazines, so at 14 I would flick through Hot Rod at my newsagents, but couldn't afford to buy it. At 16 I went to the cinema to watch some wierd film starring Frankie Avalon, and it did my head in, it was called Bikini Beach, and there was footage of Tommy Ivo's "Showboat". It really did my head in. In England we had one drag strip which had only been open a year, and for my 16th birthday I got my Dad to take me (on his old scooter).
The other year I was looking through some of my old school rubbish, and found a picture I had drawn of a chopper. Now, back then ('67) everyone drew Harleys, but I had drawn an INDIAN! I'll try and find it and scan it. At 18 I actually owned one, it cost me £10, happy days. From then on I have rarely been without one even though they're pretty rare here, and I've owned my current one for 20+ years. It's been through many re-incarnations, and last year it was a show winning trike. I sold the chassis and the engine's been sitting in my workshop with me wondering what to do next, until Oz turned up with his salt stories, and that night, after we'd drunk two bottles of vodka, its final build was decided, it's coming to Bonneville in 2012.
This might be a long build, I'm not sure, and as a "Newbie" I might need some help and advice, but it WILL be there. The motor's already had an extensive rebuild and is running Royal Enfield pistons, Peugeot valves, modified head and gas flowed but I reckon I'd better do the bottom end. Building the bike is the easy bit as I spent 20 years building frames.
I'm so fired up with getting to the "Holy Place" that even now, I'm having trouble sleeping.

I met Dave Draper in Santa Cruz who was in Bikini Beach I actually trained at his gym when I was going through my Body building phase really nice bloke and he used to train the guv of california small world eh

Damm it was dont make waves my mistake oops
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:47:52 PM by oz »
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »

I dont know who this gentleman was as I didnt get a chance for a chat but couldnt help thinking he was a bit like old Burt

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
It'll be interesting to follow what you come up with! Theres an interesting array of Indians bound for Bonneville. What's your goal? Just getting there? Fast or reallyreally fast? Sit on or sit in? The beauty of the Saltcracker is bar to none, but for speed the tiny Buddfab streamliner is my favourite, they know their shit with small displacement engines. Wind factor is everything. It surely would be thrilling to se someone going reallyreally fast with a Scout, and you Englishmen know how to put up a fight for a record, don't you?

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »
Hi Charlie. Well, the main intention is to get there and do at least one run. The bike's been so many different things (it was a trike last year) and I couldn't think what to do next....until Oz came to stay, so the rebuild into a Salt Flats Racer will be its last re-incarnation, and if it throws a rod I don't care, but having said that, I actually do intend taking it as fast as possible, and a few tuning goodies are in the post to me.

Right, back to today. I've been scanning eBay for a decent set of forks and a pair of wire spoked wheels, but the Japs phased them out years ago and started using mags, which just wouldn't look right. To top it all the rear wheel had to be chain drive. The problem with eBay is either everything is hundreds of miles away, or the only people who might have what I want are far too expensive. However, Sunday brought some luck, a complete set of Suzuki GS550 forks in bits, less wheel, for free, and only 20 miles away, leftovers from my mates Chop build. He also threw in a pile of calipers and a fork brace, plus a brand new Harley Kehein CV carb, exactly what I was looking for, and the price? FREE! That's what mates are for.
Monday, I decided to visit a local bike breakers. I knew he had no wheels, but there were other parts I needed. On the way out of town I stopped off at my local car breakers for a chat with one of the lads, and couldn't believe my eyes, sat in a shed was an accident damaged Honda Shadow, and it was fitted with good wire wheels, and as a bonus was chain drive. After a little haggling the were mine (complete with good tyres) for £60 or $86.
Today I spent 5 hours on the lathe making a spindle and spacers for the front wheel, and now it's a perfect fit in the Suzuki forks, and I can start thinking about building the frame.

Offline bak189

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
Don't need no stinking front brake for the salt........Good luck...........

We got a big base scout we might run in the future........
Question authority.....always

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »
You have some luck Chris good on ya, so if you get some tube by friday should be on wheels tea time saturday.I hav luck too seems whenever I touch the honda I have loads of it,I got my redundancy notice today!!

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
Bak, I'm thinking of junking the brake, although it'll be handy when testing it on the tarmac over here, there aren't many long strips. Oz, the tube is on the shelf!
Made a jig for the frame today. It's extremely basic but very accurate (I've used these before). The base is a Black and Decker "Workmate" (do you have them in the 'States?) and will easily take the weight of a complete bike. On top of that I clamped a length of 1" oak, and screwed a 6' 6" x 2' sheet of 1/8" aluminium. All of this was already in my workshop, so why waste it?
The ally sheet is marked out with 3 centrelines and crosslines at 9" intervals. The contraption at the back clamps the axle plates firmly, and is made from 3 lengths of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle. I've set the distance between them 1/8" wider than they need be, as they'll pull in slightly after welding.
The biggest advantage of this setup? It'll all fold flat when not in use, and the work height is perfect. Disadvantages? The weld spatter will stick to the ally, but I'm only using it once. Hardest part of building it? Lifting the engine on.
One handy tip...before I scribe a line on steel, I pre-mark it with a tyre paint pen, makes the lines easier to see!

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
Just a picture of my Indian when it was a rat, to see if I can post bigger pictures.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »
Hmmmm.....didn't work. Anyway, I've been busy and the basic frame's done. First I had to spend hours on the lathe making spacers to fit tha Honda wheel in the Suzuki forks, pacers for the rear wheel, spacers for the engine to offset it and also make it easier to remove. Each time I completed a major section of the frame I took it out of the jig to weld the parts I couldn't get at, and also to rectify any tubes distortion caused by welding, and it must have come out ten times. The last part to go on was the headstock. Here's some dimensions: Rake is 45 degrees, wheelbase 65", ground clearance @4", and the forks need to be shortened 3-3/4". That's the easy part done.
Next it's brackets, tags, making parts......I dunno why I do this sometimes, but I'm determined to get to Bonneville in 2012.