Author Topic: Any Motorcycle LSR, performance shops ect. in SE Wyoming ?  (Read 5326 times)

Offline BusaBFTE

• New folks
I am new to Wyoming and will be new to Land Speed Racing and am looking for anyone in the SE Wyoming or Denver area to help me set up my 04 Busa for Land Speed. I am used to racing 1/4 mile back east and have been wanting to get into Land Speed, I just realize the value of having friends that can help you along the way. So, if there is anyone out there, any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Any Motorcycle LSR, performance shops ect. in SE Wyoming ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
Remove engine, ship to Carpenter racing in NJ, receive engine back and go racing.. :cheers:

Welcome to the site..

Tell us more about what your goals are speedwise and how you plan to get there..Turbo  :evil: NAWS, NOS,SPRAY,Giggle Juice, all motor..?

You might be better off buying a purpose built bike for LSR and keep your current ride as a weekend warrior streetbike.

Good luck either way.
  :cheers:
John

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
If you had something powered by a Harley engine I could give you lots of advice but I am plumb stupid when it comes to the newfangled 4 cylinder motors with the cams on top!  ;)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
SE Wyoming is not quite right next door to Salt Lake City -- but Scott Horner is just opening a shop in SLC and might be worth contacting if you don't find someone in Denver or some other nearby town.  Scott builds and races 'Busas, having been in SoCal for a while and Las Vegas for a while as a builder and tuner, and now has moved to Salt Lake.

I talked with him at Maxton last weekend -- but don't remember the name he'll have on the new shop.  I do know that if you go to him - or most any of the truly professional shops - that you'll be expected to put some confidence in him/the shop and not spend too much time telling the shop what you think should be done.  Trust the professionals -- tell them your goals as carefully and explicitly as you can - and let them tell you what needs to be done to achieve them.  Then let them do it their way.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:45:01 PM »
If you had something powered by a Harley engine I could give you lots of advice but I am plumb stupid when it comes to the newfangled 4 cylinder motors with the cams on top!  ;)

Yeah well, I think they're just a passing fad anyways... :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
Jon Amo lives in the Denver area.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

landracing

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
Trust the professionals -- tell them your goals as carefully and explicitly as you can - and let them tell you what needs to be done to achieve them.  Then let them do it their way.

Really... Aren't the professionals the ones who had your crank for about 2 years, weren't the professionals the ones who setup your nitrous system?

Trusting the person is more important then the "professionals"

I'm not saying you shouldn't but the "Professionals" usually don't understand our sport. Not all, but most....

In the early years of our Nitrous years, they "Professionals" told us we were liars and our motor wouldn't run with the pressures, timing and fuel pressures we were running.....

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »
No, Jon -- I've learned that the folks that had my crankshaft (it took only 16 months - after they promised delivery in 6 - 8 weeks), and the ones that set up the nitrous system -- were not "professionals" in the true sense of the word.  They did work and charged for it --and I trusted that they knew what they were doing when I entered into my time with each of them.  I've come to feel that the professionals are the ones that not only do work for a fee -- but do the work based on interpreting what the customer wants and applying their skills to deliver a product (a race bike, for instance) that will meet the goals.  Those goals might be a speed, a certain specified horsepower, a delivery time, even a concept -- but whatever might be the goal - a professional is wise enough to tell the customer if it can't be done.  The first few places where Nancy and I had work done for us were part-way to being professional - but weren't truly deserving of that moniker.  They could do some of the work and rightly expect the pay for it -- but they didn't understand the concept, just like you say.  I now have crew and builders that ARE land speed racers - they do understand the sport.

I mentioned Scott Horner because I feel (caveat:  I have never used his services) he would be able to do work that's at least close to, if not spot on, a level that deserves to be called "professional".

Enough for now -- it's bedtime in Skandia, Michigan.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »
If you are going to run a Buell of a Harley, NRHS is in Longmont just north of Denver  ...

Offline BusaBFTE

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
Well thanks everyone for the help and advice. Now does anyone have any advice on having a bike shipped from Georgia to WY ? I'm looking into FED EX now but any advice will help. Once again thanks  :cheers:

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
Buy a few motorcycle magazines, there are usually ads in the back for shippers. Then maybe contact OOIDA or Better Business Bureau to check their reputation.

Offline joea

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
sss gave some great insight...into professionals..

NRHS can still be a great asset in helping your
realize and understand many aspects of lsr, preparing for,
getting there, what to expect etc...

getting ahold of him or jon a. in denver can get you
all the info needed to get there and start learning bonneville

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
Try Uship.com.  It's sort of like an eBay for shipping.  I've used it -- worked fine, and at a very reasonable price.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com