Author Topic: Classic Altered top chop  (Read 9795 times)

Offline dw230

Classic Altered top chop
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
This post is for Tim Boyle, MadCad on the HAMB, and any others that may be confused with the top chop rule in the Classic Altered class.

The 2010 rule book has a line in bold print(indicates a new/updated rule, page 62) that states that cars in the class "may have a 3" beauty chop". This was added because I was told by an individual that I was holding up his build because there was no wording allowing the chop. He would not take my word for the allowance and wanted to have it in the rulebook. Now maybe his build being on hold for 7 years will move forward.

In Classic Category, all classes it states that you should refer to the equivilant class in the Modified Category. On page 65 of the rulebook it states: "Pre-1949 bodies may be chopped. The chop shall be equal front to rear and shall retain a vertical windshield height of at least 6 in. above the top of the cowl with a maximum horizontal length of 7 in. from the base of the windshield at the center of the car."

The meaning of the two rule statements is that a Classic Altered coupe may have a windshield height from stock to the max. allowed.

Same rules, more words,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Classic Altered top chop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:05:10 PM »
I rarely go there any more.  Most of it seems to be people who can't read asking questions that have been answered many times.  :-(

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
Great work Dan, This has not affect on me, But it is always great to get things that are expensive and permanent clarified!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
"The meaning of the two rule statements is that a Classic Altered coupe may have a windshield height from stock to the max." allowed. As long as it is a Pre 1949 car. Right?

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »
Yes Rich.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
Thanks Dan,for clarifying that,so the chop on my sedan is still legal for altered,smashin!
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
Dan, I just got a call from the guy doing the beauty chop,for the Vintage Coupe class, and he has a couple of questions. He says that to make the chop fit right, he needs to lean the 'b' pillars (the pillar the door latches to)  forward, and tilt the rear window forward a tad bit.Chop will be 2-7/8". Windshield will remain at stock angle.

Because of the curves,  is not possible to simply cut 3" out of the roof, as you could on a car shaped like a Model A. I do not believe leaning the 'b' pillars forward will give me any aerodynamic advantage- I think I'll still be pushing a brick! Lol!

Is this permissible?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »

Your guy is correct on leaning the "B" Pillars forward as well as the rear glass. It is the only way to make those chops look good.   However, leaning the B pillars may not be an aero advantage, leaning the back glass area forward sure is and I would get a ruling in writing first.

Hmm, or just do it and have fun, as it only matters if you set a record.  So if setting a record is your goal, make sure all modifications are legal and any questionable ones are approved in advance and in writing.

Keep up the good work..
and post plenty of pics
Cool Car

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
Thanks Charles!

I'm chasing a record on this one, so I'll wait for an official ruling.

I was just hoping someone knew the answer, so we could get started! :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RICK

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
DW QUOTE= "The meaning of the two rule statements is that a classic altered coupe may have a windshield height from stock to max. allowed"

Or should that be "MIN. allowed"  ???

So if I had a (pre-49) 1934 Ford coupe, that was going to run in 'classic', one could chop it down to 6 inches of vertical view glass, not stretch the roof,,, but instead, lean the A-pillar/windshield back, as long as it did not exceed 7 inches of horizontal glass?

Did I get one right, Or am I still way off base?

Thanks,  RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Rick, I think you are a bit off base on your example.

My "understanding" of that rule would make "leaning" the "A" Pillar or Winshield back would be illegal.
(that appears to be a body mod that is not allowed in Classic)
My 1933 Ford Vicky has the "same" chop front and back and has the "stock" "A" Pillar and windshield angle.

If you find out you are legal to lean the windshield back ,, please let us know.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
Rather like Gene Winfield's coupe?

Man, those windows can't be legal, can they?   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RICK

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
Kid, You're thinkin about "VINTAGE",,,38flattie is building a VINTAGE .  Beauty,,,,3in front to back,,MAX.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Pierson Bros coupe.  I think the rule is written the way it is,,,,because of them.

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
Winfield's a Comp Coupe -- different rule.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
Buddy,

You have indicated that you are competeting in Gas Coupe classes. Top chop 3", equal/front and rear. There is no allowance for looks.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth