Author Topic: alky  (Read 3613 times)

Offline hawkwind

alky
« on: October 28, 2005, 02:01:34 AM »
A question for those who have used alky ( methanol) what type of engine oil did / do you use  and how often did you change it  ?

Im using alky / carbs  naturally aspirated  and spraying  nitrous / gasoline  up to 300 HP
Thanks  Gary
slower than most

Offline Larry Forstall

alky
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:04:16 PM »
Hawkwind: I have used methanol on a carbureted air-cooled M/C at Bonneville. I switched from petrol because I was having problems overheating about 3 miles down the course. You need compression and timing to run at 4200' and methanol was the only way I could cool the engine. After first boring all the jets to twice the AREA of the petrol jets and milking the oil almost instantly I found that just the mains needed to be enlarged. I could safely get 6 four mile runs before the sight window started to look whitish. I used petroleum oil and never had any bearing problems although the starter sprag came loose a few times. I also had NO2 on the bike but never used it. Probably should have as my best mile was 199.8  Good luck with your project.    Larry

racin jason

alky
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »
hawkwind, i would look into spraying the alcohol with the nitrous and leave the engine on gasoline. wayne pollack did this on a bone stock busa and it made hundreds of passes with no problems.check it out on
www.waynepollack.com
also mike golightly at nitrous express has done some nitrous alcohol systems.

Offline hawkwind

alky
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 12:37:48 AM »
Thanks Larry and Jason for that advice , much appreciated  :D
Gary
slower than most

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
alky
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:24:45 AM »
Quote from: Larry Forstall
Hawkwind: I have used methanol on a carbureted air-cooled M/C at Bonneville. I switched from petrol because I was having problems overheating about 3 miles down the course. You need compression and timing to run at 4200' and methanol was the only way I could cool the engine. After first boring all the jets to twice the AREA of the petrol jets and milking the oil almost instantly I found that just the mains needed to be enlarged. I could safely get 6 four mile runs before the sight window started to look whitish. I used petroleum oil and never had any bearing problems although the starter sprag came loose a few times. I also had NO2 on the bike but never used it. Probably should have as my best mile was 199.8  Good luck with your project.    Larry

Larry, great info, still have that double engine GSXR "layin" around?

J

Offline Larry Forstall

alky
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 03:45:35 PM »
Yep: Collecting dust on my Handy lift. The engines are connected by chain from the trans. output shafts. Same spline as a Busa  :lol:      L

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
alky
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 03:47:57 PM »
Quote from: Larry Forstall
Yep: Collecting dust on my Handy lift. The engines are connected by chain from the trans. output shafts. Same spline as a Busa  :lol:      L

Lets do it... :wink:

racin jason

alky
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 05:21:09 PM »
hawkwind, i just switched my busa over to methanol. the horsepower increases were good but the torque increase is something very special. not to mention the cooling properties.