Author Topic: Can a SFI 3.3 Helmet support be used as a replacement for a head sock?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline tedgram

Thanks for any feed back.

Offline Peter Jack

Doesn't do the same thing. Follow the rules and stay safe.

Pete

Offline tedgram

Saw somewhere in rule book Helmet skirt or head sock. Helmet support protects your neck by being fire resistant same as a skirt or sock. Thought I would get some feed back.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:24:13 PM by tedgram »

Offline jimmy six

Can't tell you what to do but I wear a head sock and the helmet skirt and have for years. Prior to the new rules I also wore the neck "horse" collar which was covered in nomex. The more the fire protection I could wear, I did........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Can't tell you what to do but I wear a head sock and the helmet skirt and have for years. Prior to the new rules I also wore the neck "horse" collar which was covered in nomex. The more the fire protection I could wear, I did........Good Luck

My helmet per the rules has a nomex liner, I then ear a nomex head sock, then use a nomex covered neck (horse) collar,, and my cars are equip ed with containment seats that have the required lateral movement head and neck restaints all covered in fire resistant/re tardent material.

These are precautions are in the rules to help keep any flame from entering the helmet around the openings...

Don't skimp on a $30 piece of insurance (most head socks can be bought for that)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline jdincau

As the rules are now, an SFI 3.3 horse collar type helmet support will not fill the "head sock or skirt" requirement nor will it meet the "helmet support" requirement. The helmet support is described in the rule book as side to side and rearward movement specs built into the roll structure and a forward movement conforming to SFI 38.1 for new cars this year and all cars next year. If you want to wear a horse collar go ahead, wearing more than the required gear is always OK but you will still need a head sock or skirt. I must say that horse collars became obsolete when it was discovered that they just gave the helmet more leverage to stretch your neck.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:17:28 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!