Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142151 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Thanks John, no point in bitching, it is what it is. We just need to know what to get and where!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline osti

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
Where does one buy "Special LSR tires for racing as designated by the manufactacturer"? To my knowledge their is no such tire on the market. If I'm wrong(which is entirely possible) please point me in the direction where I can buy such tires. Since I have already paid to run 2 bikes at speedweek that now will no longer pass tech I guess I need to get on the ball and buy 4 new tires plus spares...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:43:45 AM by osti »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »
Okay, good question comes to mind:  Does the rule mean BOTH tires -- or just the drive tire? 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
Both.

Offline osti

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

many of the tire manufactures make racing tires.

John,

Do you have a link or a phone number of someone who makes these tires?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline k.h.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
Running a narrow Goodyear or M&H on the rear and a 17 inch drag tire on the front? 

This is deja vu all over again from 6 or 7 years ago.  A lot of conversations with Marvin Rifchen back then came up with some ideas.  Don't know if I can find my drawings for such tires, which I'd be glad to share with a potential maker.    Kevlar bias ply with a Kevlar band to stop expansion by centrifugal forces.  Don't know if there's enough money in doing it for anyone to be interested.  I would suppose a consensus on tire sizes would be in order, as molds aren't cheap.  Z-14 and Hayabusa size and everyone make them fit anything else.  And a race tire maker willing to deal with the liability.  So, my Avon Azaro collection in the garage can be tossed, just by date of manufacture, though I am confident they were good to 223+/- after shaving, rubbed with carnauba and kept out of sunlight.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
We need to start looking for wheels also. Most race tires for bikes will be sized for the road racers and the wheel sizes they use. Some road race tires also have a big "growth" ratio at speed that needs to be factored in to gearing choice. I checked with Dunlop, Avon and Bridgestone last year and they were very reluctant to recommend a tire for LSR. Maybe someone has better connections and can get more info. We all do not run 17" wheels.

Offline cranberryroo

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
I would suppose a consensus on tire sizes would be in order, as molds aren't cheap.  Z-14 and Hayabusa size and everyone make them fit anything else.

Admittedly I'm new to all of this, but my understanding is that narrower is better. Why would you pick the biggest tire out there and make everyone else run it?

Offline k.h.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Looking to satify the largest potental market. 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
Looks like there are going to be a lot more really fast bikes at Bubs this year as it sounds like that is the only place bikes capable of 200+  are going to be able to run.  

I am just really confused.   How to you make a new rule that says you need special tires yet the tires do not exist?  Am I missing something here?

Noonan or Kent,
It sounds like you both were involved in this decision. What tires will satisfy this requirment?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:29:55 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
There are some off the shelf road race tires available that the manufacturers stated would be better when given the facts, speed, weight loading, duration etc.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
Could  you be a bit more specific as it seems like the rest of us have no idea what those tires are

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »
 OK,my 2 cents. The idea of requiring a purpose built race tire is great. But unless we bike racers can be directed to a specific tire,bikes running on over 200mph records are parked from this point forward.
 I been on the 'net looking around and the only thing I can find that appears to meet the requirement is a roadracing slick from one of the major mfg's. Are we going to need to shave these? Can we groove the drive for traction? What about DOT legal roadrace tires with a W suffix(which see 200mph+ in WSB competition)?
 For me,this is a problem. New hides ain't in the budget and the only way my ride is going to go over 200 is after its tossed off a cliff with a rocket tied to its ass,but my class record is 205.891.
 Somebody please give me a mfg,model and compound in 120/70-17 & 190/55-17 or 200/50-17 so I can start searching and MAYBE continue racing.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 01:50:09 AM »
Well I guess I picked a good year to sit on the sidelines and watch. I can see the need for this rule as in the past year we have watched sit-on bikes go from a fastest speed of 259 + to 272 + at the last two Maxton meets and it appears that several of the really fast guys have learned a lot in the off season and are more likely to go even faster.

Thumbs up for the SCTA taking action now instead after someone gets hurt.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 02:05:31 AM »
I think that SCTA needs to publish a list of approved "RACING" tires. I have been doing research on this all day and there is no real definition of what a racing tire is. They are not defined by a designation like DOT tires are (W, ZR, ect). The several websites that I have gone to that claim they have race tires do not make it clear that the tires are good for over 200 mph. How are we to know for sure? Is there a standard beyond ZR? I am sure that without some guidance, there will be many racers showing up at inspection with tires that they claim are "race tires" but the inspectors will object to. Just because a tire has "race" in its designation does not mean it is safer than a DOT tire.

We really need more guidance on this from SCTA. John Noonan, what tires are you going to use?
Thanks,
Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer