Author Topic: Trailer Tires . . . what is your experience?  (Read 5881 times)

saltfever

Re: Trailer Tires . . . what is your experience?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »
How`s everyone feel about running the same tire/bolt pattern as the tow vehicle? Might get you out of a "situation" JB
The problem is that almost all trailer bolt circles are 5 on 4.5" (a Ford bolt circle). I am not including 6 or 8 bolt patterns here.  I am having a difficult time now because mine is 5 on 4.75" (Chevy BC). I currently have steel Camaro rims and I want to change to a legitmate trailer rim because I can't find out how much pressure a stock passanger tire can take. I need to up my pressures to the 60-70 psi range. That is a 100% increase in pressure of the typical pax car! I also have an offset issue which restricts my choice. When researching trailer wheels there is plenty of choice for the Ford BC but not the Chevy BC. The cost of converting (or drilling) to the Ford BC does not make the change attractive.

I am running the Chevy BC for the very reason you mention but I never had a flat or needed the spare. I then switched towing vehicles long ago but still have the trailer. It is a good idea but I wouldn't let compatibility be a big driver in decision making. Trailers seem to last a long time and they seem to outlast what is towing them.

saltfever

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Edit  . . . we had one that kept cracking high end aluminum wheels in the bead area till we changed to steel.
Thanks, JD. What brand of steel rim and what Bolt circle? What tire pressures do you run?

Offline jl222

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
Had a Goodyear Marathon blister up a good 1/2 inch and separate just mounted as a spare in front of trailer :-o and tire had less than 30 miles on it.
JL, that is a common complaint about the Goodyear's I have seen on some other web sites. How long ago did that happen to you? I am wondering if the problem has been fixed. What tire brand are you using now?

It happend in 09 but tire was 7 years old, in 08 we had a flat in Reno, put the spare on and had another flat 20 miles later took the flat tire off put 90lbs in the tires and made it to Fernley on 3 tires, got the tire store to come out after hrs [$200 service call]  :cry: and put on 8 ply Carlisle, 2 plys are steel, 2820 lbs at 80 psi. Saved the looked like new spare.
  An old racer friend said a lot of trailer tire failure is caused from sitting for long periods in one spot then towing long distances and if jacked up off the tires it would help.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
Had a Goodyear Marathon blister up a good 1/2 inch and separate just mounted as a spare in front of trailer :-o and tire had less than 30 miles on it.
JL, that is a common complaint about the Goodyear's I have seen on some other web sites. How long ago did that happen to you? I am wondering if the problem has been fixed. What tire brand are you using now?

Site is having posting problems
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:57:36 PM by jl222 »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
Thanks, JD. What brand of steel rim and what Bolt circle? What tire pressures do you run?

Well it was when I was on a drag race crew back in the 80's I don't remember the specifics you ask.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

saltfever

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 04:14:34 AM »
A lot of postings to this thread have mentioned extremely high air pressures. One issue I am concerned about is that even though a tire may be rated for a high pressure it is very dangerous if the rim is not equally rated. On most rims (with a lot of research) I can find the load rating. However, it is impossible to find the air pressure rating! How do you know if your rim is safe? How do you find air pressure maximums?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »
My experience with trailer tires has been a pain in the a-- to say the least. For a guy who never had any trailer problems with an open trailer to nothing but trouble with an enclosed one. Mine is a #7000 rated (too light) 20'. The original tires made one trip to Bonneville and failed in the middle of the next one, I replaced with 10,000# gross weight Goodyears and made 1-1/2 trips.

This time I did a ton of research and found Carlisle made a 225 15 rated a 2890 each for a total of almost 12,000# and these seem to hold up (2 trips). My pattern is a 5 on 5 and wheels are avalable from Carson Trailer. I keep my tire/wheels covered and when I can the trailer is on blocks with the tires in the air. Trailer rims are in the 5 to 6 inch range and I reccommend staying with that. You can get Chevy 4-3/4 on 5 "rally wheels" in those widths and easily use 60 to 70 psi in them. They also make for easy locking with chain. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

saltfever

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Good information, Jimmy. Thanx.  :-)