Author Topic: Trailer Tires . . . what is your experience?  (Read 5885 times)

saltfever

Trailer Tires . . . what is your experience?
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »
Oh man I hate this . . . its time to buy new trailer tires! I have had good experience with Goodyear Marathons in the past; but since they are now made in China (as well as most of the others) I would like an opinion from those with recent experience. I still have some tread but after 8 years I'm pushing my luck. There is a lot of negative bashing about every brand on the web. What is your experience?

Trailer is: Open trailer, two 3,500lb. axles and 4 wheel brakes, 5,500lb GVW.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Trailer Tires . . . what is your experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I bought wheels where I could run takeoff 3/4 ton 245/75R/16 10 ply, I pay 25-30 mounted last 3-4 years and the spare is the same as the truck.  usually they end up throwing the tread belt because you shouldn't run radials
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
I can tell you from a repair shop observation that most blowout repairs we do are not goodyear but mostly everything else (and we get a lot of blowout jobs). I run Goodyear Marathons on the race trailer and 5th wheel and have never had a problem. Most trailer tire blowouts we see are from age and sidewall checking. We recommend that all trailer tires should be replaced every 4-5 years even if they have little miles on them.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

Trailer is: Open trailer, two 3,500lb. axles and 4 wheel brakes, 5,500lb GVW.

Saltfever,

I have a couple of trailers, and I run different tires on the different trailers. I have one trailer like you have, very low GVW with two 3500 lb. axles. On that trailer I do as Sparky does and put good takeoffs on it. Reason for doing this? This trailer has a very low load on each tire, they always run cool and I always check the tire pressure and keep it at the cold rating.

On the 14,000 GVW Trailer I put new tires on it. Load rating per tire is greater, and the greater the load the more heat generated by tire flex. Goodyear does not make the tire I like for trailers anymore. (G159)

I also need new tires for my big trailer, so this thread will be of interest to me also.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

saltfever

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
Thanks, everyone for speaking up.

Sparky: I’m not sure I understand your comment about radials. The Goodyear Marathons, and most other trailer tires are radial design. Are you are saying they throw the belts because they are radials? Are your truck tires radials? I do like your idea of running a D or E load tire. My problem is; to convert my drums to the truck bolt pattern would be cost prohibitive when I could put that expense into new tires. However, you gave me a good idea and I’ll check it out.

Thundersalt: You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly my current condition. Good tread, but sidewall cracking and age are too far beyond a useful life.

Tom: I run my trailer right at GVW and check heat at every fill-up. My Tires are always hot, but most of my towing is down Hwy 5 on 100 deg days. That is the main reason I want a good tire.  I’m not sure what G159 is.  Is that the tire designation?

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
Remember that the tow vehicle is taking some of the load when figuring load rating.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »
When I have to replace the trailer tires that come on new trailers I try to find a compatable size LT tire. They're usually the same price or cheaper then trailer specific tires with a higher weight rating.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »

Tom: I’m not sure what G159 is.  Is that the tire designation?

I guess you would call it the model number as it is molded on the side of the tire. Goodyear quit making these tires (215/85-16R) and I loved them. But I can understand why they quit. I have a truck that has never been garaged or under any kind of shade, has always been outside, and it has had a set of G159 Goodyears on it for 10 years.(35,000 miles)  I don't use the truck very often, and don't take long trips with it anymore, and I will get new tires for it in the next month or so.  But these tires have no side wall cracking. People don't believe me that they are 10 years old, until they look at the manufacturing date.

On the other hand my big trailer has Goodyear wranglers on it,(LT235/85-16R) and all 6 of them are cracked so bad after just 5 years I cannot believe it. Same manufacturer different model tires. I am afraid to tow this trailer more than a couple of miles, until I get new tires for it. So in the very near future I am looking at buying 12 new truck tires. Ouch $$$$

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

saltfever

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 03:06:57 AM »
I had the same experience. Tom. Before my Marathon tires I had 14" Wrangler LT tires. The trailer was always outside and the tires were not protected. With little use (about 1200 miles in 5 years) I had to get new tires due to terrible sidewall deterioration. I have covered the marathon tires and they have lasted about 8 years but the sidewalls are also cracking now.

I thought trailer tires had extra ozone protection added to the rubber formulation due their normal environment of long term storage outside. But they "weather" so fast I doubt anything is added anymore.

Should I stick with new Goodyear Marathons? or?

saltfever

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 03:12:41 AM »
edit  . . . compatible size LT tire. They're usually the same price or cheaper then trailer specific tires with a higher weight rating.
That is why I originally ran the LT tires. However, I was told that trailer-specific tires are constructed differently with a stronger sidewall ever though they are radials. I switched to Goodyear Marathons and honestly didn't notice any towing difference. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
You are correct about the Radials.  My trailer has 2 7200# axles, the belts seperate I am sure because they are radials.  I have only had one blowout,  (knocking on wood) and you get some really intresting "spark shows" when the steel belts first encounter the pavment---lol---

I run 80. PSI in them the max recomended. the rated tire capacity is still inly 3200# each I think.  I would love to find something Bias that had a 5000-6000 rating other than mobile home tires.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »

Had a Goodyear Marathon blister up a good 1/2 inch and separate just mounted as a spare in front of trailer :-o
and tire had less than 30 miles on it.

JL222

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
How`s everyone feel about running the same tire/bolt pattern as the tow vehicle? Might get you out of a "situation" JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
Trailers put a lot of load on a tires that they never see on a tow vehicle. Whenever you are turning a multiple axle trailer you are dragging two of the tires sideways. This puts a lot of heat into the tire and a lot of torque into the tread and sidewalls. Stand by your two axle trailer in a parking lot and have someone tow it around you in a tight circle to see what I mean. Three axle trailers are vicious, we had one that kept cracking high end aluminum wheels in the bead area till we changed to steel.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

saltfever

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:46:40 PM »
Had a Goodyear Marathon blister up a good 1/2 inch and separate just mounted as a spare in front of trailer :-o and tire had less than 30 miles on it.
JL, that is a common complaint about the Goodyear's I have seen on some other web sites. How long ago did that happen to you? I am wondering if the problem has been fixed. What tire brand are you using now?