Author Topic: Ground Clearance for Maxton  (Read 4833 times)

Offline SlyOneJr

Ground Clearance for Maxton
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
Just trying to figure out how much (or little) ground clearance is needed at Maxton. Can you get down to 1" of ground clearance and not drag over the whole track, or would 2" be better? I know that the track is a little rough, but it is a lot better than it was thanks to the guys working on the track each year.
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Ground Clearance for Maxton
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
Unh, do you have a long springy chassis on your car -- or is it a short bike with plastic bodywork that's close to the ground?  An inch is asking for a bit of "polishing" by the bumps in the pavement - two inches will probably avoid most of that, unless (back to the long chassis scenario) you get it flopping up and down.

Back when I started running at Maxton the long shutdown was still pretty primitive -- with a few missing sections of pavement (acting as sand traps).  They'd get the bottom of the race vehicle if you didn't have three or four inches between earth and vehicle.  Look at some of the old bodywork from my ZX12R and I can prove it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
Bounce your front end up and down...it can not touch the track surface, Period!!! You can't drive a car against the bump stops and maintain control at Maxton....so, I would recommend at least 3 to4 inches of ground clearance because you can't even get to the starting line with less than that because of the return road.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
3 inches with stiff suspension should be enough. But as Joe said 3 to 4 inches would be best.

I took Joe's advice, my setup is adjustable...

The lowest part of my new car is the front air dam. My ride heigt is adjustable from as little as 2  3/4 to as much as 4 3/4 inches of ground clearance up front.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
I have a fairly stiff suspension(coil overs) and I still run around 2.5 to 3 inches of ground clearance.

Mike Reichen
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »
The red hot racing camaro has about 1.5" of ground clearance at the air dam, but the front struts are bottomed out and there is zero travel going on there. Also, the bottom inch or so of the spoiler is rubber that will wear off or deflect if it hits the track.

Offline jreken

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »
Rubber is the good idea for the bottom of your air dam. McMaster Carr has any size , hardness (durometer)or type you could want. There wedsite takes some work (choices) but they ship immediately. If you do scrape we'll hear or see it from the tower and note it on your time slip.
Have a fast, safe weekend everybody!!!

From the the tower

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
I'll mention that at the April event drivers meeting we were informed that NO, repeat NO, rubbing on the ground by any race vehicle will be permitted from now on.  So -- if you show up in inspection with an air dam or something that's apparently too close to the track surface -- you might get instructed to move it a tad or two.  The track workers have been notified to keep and eye (and an ear) open for violators of this rule -- so be forewarned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
I've heard a rumor that the guys in shutdown will rat you out too if ya' scrape.

Offline dtimney

• New folks
  • 205 MPH WooooHooo
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
Hey guys and girls...the rule is "do not rub the track". It is a safety issue...you can pull up old concrete or a patch and jeapordize the safety of the next person down the track. Rubber can still cause a problem. The tech guys have the authority to fail your car if they can make your car's spoiler contact the ground in inspection.

Zero bump stops are not a safe way to run. None of you need to set your cars up so low...it does not make that much difference. wHAT IS YOUR LIFE WORTH!!!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
Howdy all, we ran 2" on the little red Kia that could with stock suspension and had an iassue in shut down when the wife got on the binders a little hard. Bumping it up to 3" this year as it really does not make that big of a differance under 150. besides, the dirt road to the staring line will trim the dam for ya if your not careful. :-D Safety First!!!!
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »
I can say that even with fairly stiff springs on the old cup car we brought in april we rubbed the ground pretty good at 2 inches 'normal' ground clearance and got a talking to about it
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931