Author Topic: Fuel Shut-Off Location  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
Fuel Shut-Off Location
« on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
For a car/truck (ie: not a bike) what is the location preferred for the Fuel Shut-off?  I am running electric pumps, with an inertia switch.  I will list my two conflicting thoughts below.

Fuel Shut-Off between tank and Pump:

Pros: Shutting off fuel close to tank means any fuel line rupture won't drain the tank into the fire.

Cons: Fuel Line from shut-off all the way to the engine is still full of fuel, in the case of an engine fire, this will only feed the fire.

Fuel Shut-Off at engine:

Pros: During Engine Fire, fuel is shut off closest to the fire, reducing the volume of fuel available to the fire due to fuel line integrity failure.

Cons:  Roll over or other crash could rupture lines and drain tank.

I work on Helicopters and the fuel shut-offs are ALWAYS close to the fuel cell outlet.  But Jet Fuel (glorified diesel) has different characteristics than gas. 

If I put the shut-off at the tank, then run hard line to the engine compartment, will tech want a fire sleeve on the braided part going from the frame to the engine, a fire sleeve on everything, or nothing at all?

I did a search and came up with more questions than answers.  Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline geh458

Re: Fuel Shut-Off Location
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't have more than one fuel shut off valve/switch.  Put the inertia switch on the fuel pump, and put an oil pressure switch and a valve of some kind at the other end of the hardline.   Therefore any fuel remaining between them if a line ruptured would be somewhere on the ground behind where you come to a stop, theoretically.

-----

edited at 3:30PM to correct terminology

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:30:01 PM by geh458 »
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Genuine GM

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »
The inertia isn't a valve, just an electronic switch that kills power to the fuel pump during a specific G event. 
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline geh458

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »
The inertia isn't a valve, just an electronic switch that kills power to the fuel pump during a specific G event. 

Yes, I know it's a switch, I corrected my phrasing in my reply above.
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
Add this to the mix. On an injected engine (non-electronic) 99% are between the pump and barrel valve; most being right on the valve. Most don't worry about what is in the line. (other than Smokey Yunick who liked to get a couple of gallons in his fuel lines) Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Genuine GM

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »
Smokey tried to keep a couple in the filler neck as well.   I love reading anything he wrote.