Author Topic: Modified Production class motorcycle chassis legality  (Read 7838 times)

Offline jeffb

Modified Production class motorcycle chassis legality
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
Hey everyone.  I am looking for some help understanding the rule related to what chassis can be used in the M motorcycle chassis class.  

The rule book seems to allow "limited production" motorcycles, less than 500.  

Would this bike qualify for M-PG?  It wouldn't qualify for P-PP because they haven't built 500, but I think it would be ok for M-PG.  True?  This bike is street legal and available for sale in Europe.  

They have built about 25 of these and have more in the works.

http://www.engmore.com/6-images.php

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:09:32 PM by jeffb »

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Modified Production class motorcycle chassis legality
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »
Ya probably better run this one by Tom Evans.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
i think what might stop you is the rule that says    "the engine shall be from the same manufacture as the frame"       the engine is made by S&S cycle   the frame is not               willie buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:38:53 PM »
The engine and the frame must be from the SAME manufacturer.  Anything else is in special construction A.  If your engine is an S&S and your frame is by someone else your in A.  Plain and simple.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
i think what might stop you is the rule that says    "the engine shall be from the same manufacture as the frame"       the engine is made by S&S cycle   the frame is not               willie buchta

If that's true, then any "manufacturer" who sources engines would be ineligible.  It's a production bike, albeit somewhat limited production.  Were Buells ineligible before HD bought an interest?  If you go to a Wakan dealer and order a replacement engine, you'd probably get a receipt with a Wakan part number on it and an S&S engine.     

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »
this bike would fit into M-PG..... Jeff, ever get my crank and pistons made?
Kent

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:27 AM »
I know I'm simple and not overly bright.  But can someone explain to me how "The engine shall be from the same manufacturer as the frame." can be construed that an S&S engine and a "John Doe" frame falls into modified?  Maybe too, expain how all the "Harleys" with S&S engines that ran in Modified were dumped into A special construction when the rule change was implemented?  Or how my Norton was tossed from Modified into Special Construction despite the fact it has a bone stock Norton frame with a Weslake engine?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:45 AM »
its not that hard to figger out.... Your Norton never came with the Westlake motor thus "A"chassis designation... You know the answer to your own question.... Aarons Buell came with a "harley" sportster motor, when he put in the S&S sportster motor that the bike never came with it went into "A".... This chassis comes with a S&S motor and thats what it will have to run with.... Lets say for example if frame manufacturer Spondon (who makes chassis to fit just about any motor) was to make a street legal bike, then whatever motor they put in the street bike will be the motor it will have to run in "M"... Oh wait Spondon is making a new street bike and guess what motor they are putting in it? Yep a Norton motor!!! If John Doe builds a generic street bike it will have to make 500 to run into production
Kent

Offline jeffb

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
You guys have hit right on my question.  I understand that a S&S engine in a Buell would put me in A.  But a S&S engine in a OE bike like Big Dog or something would be M.  In theory, I think could run a Bid Dog in P-PP if they built enough of them and you were crazy!

The Wakan is a pretty neat bike and very well finished.  I have ridden a couple on the street and they are pretty cool and handle well.

How do I contact Tom directly?

Kent, I have a set of wheels with no shafts or rods set asside for you.  The problem is your pistons.  From what you told me, off the shelf S&S pistons won't work for you.  Email me offline and we can talk about this again.  baileyj76@hotmail.com

Jeff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »
What about ---ATK with a Rotax eng---as far as " I know" please remember, I am not a bike guy they were not available any other way?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/rule-question09.html                                     willie buchta

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
lol  thanks
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
What about ---ATK with a Rotax eng---as far as " I know" please remember, I am not a bike guy they were not available any other way?

My point precisely.  "they were not availabe any other way".  ATK (or Spondon) don't make their own engines so how does buying in engines from an engine maker make that Rotax engine an ATK (or a Spondon)?   Back in the 70s if you wanted to win the 125 world GP championship you went to Itay and bought a Morbidelli engine.  You then gave it to a guy in Germany who prepped the engine to GP standards.  And you went to Bakker Frambou and had Nico Bakker make you  frame.  Nico, like Spondon, makes frames for just about anything but that still doesn't make him (or any of the others mentioned)in compliance with the rule saying the frame and the engine must be from the same manufacturer.  

Of course I knew the answer to my Wesake/Norton question.  Nortons didn't make Weslake engines.  I think the difference between a bike manufacturer who sells a machine with an engine his company has manufactured and a machine with an engine supplied by someone esle is wha is being questioned here.   I mean, what is to stop me from decaring myself a manufacturer and buiding a slinky LSR frame with an S&S engine and running it in modified.  What then, is the purpose of special construction?

Offline jeffb

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
I tried using the link to send a rule clarification, but it doesn't seem to work when I hit "submit".

Jeff

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
the modified production class is intended for a  production bike that has been modified to meet the modified class the frame and engine shall be from the same manufacturer     willie buchta