Author Topic: Maxton this weekend.  (Read 5972 times)

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
Maxton this weekend.
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
Going to actually show up this weekend and would love to meet some of you.  I'm almost positive this will be the kick in the pants I need to get back on the BSA land speed bike.  Anyways, is there anything I should know in advance or bring?  I am planning to be there on Saturday only.
 :cheers:

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: Maxton this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
Not too much.  It'll set you back $10, which is an entertainment bargain.  Bring a chair if you want to sit - we sometimes have bleachers but don't count on it.  We have a good food vendor at the track so sustenance should be no issue.  Watch out for fire ants - the little buggers are NASTY!  The racers will share what they know - great bunch of folks.  If a lady tells you something about going fast, believe her.  We have a bunch of fast women and I don't mean "of loose moral fiber"!

See you at the track
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
I know you said you'll just be there to spectate, but for the sake of others that read this thread -- motorcycle inspection will begin Friday - usually by midday or so.  We try to get as many of them done as we can so Saturday is more open for us to race, too.  Nancy will be checking safety garb and placing helmet stickers - so have leathers, helmet, etc handy when you take your bike to inspection. 

Have your paperwork filled out completely, please, including the existing record in your class!  No paperwork filled out?  Go back to your pit and do it and take your bike with you so we can get on with the folks that DID have the paperwork done.  Thanks.

See you in a few days.  The weather forecast looks pretty mellow -- if you like mid-80s.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
I know you said you'll just be there to spectate, but for the sake of others that read this thread -- motorcycle inspection will begin Friday - usually by midday or so.  We try to get as many of them done as we can so Saturday is more open for us to race, too.  Nancy will be checking safety garb and placing helmet stickers - so have leathers, helmet, etc handy when you take your bike to inspection. 

Have your paperwork filled out completely, please, including the existing record in your class!  No paperwork filled out?  Go back to your pit and do it and take your bike with you so we can get on with the folks that DID have the paperwork done.  Thanks.

See you in a few days.  The weather forecast looks pretty mellow -- if you like mid-80s.

Good point made!

I would like to spend this day meeting everyone and getting familiar with things and watching some fast vehicles show off.  I would like to volunteer in the future as it looks like my BSA is still just a pile of high performance parts (or parts that have the potential to be high performance if they were actually being used.) 

Thanks for the info guys! 

Offline WildBro

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Jon,
If we have an ECTA 2010 sticker on the helmet, do we still need to bring it to tech?

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
Yes, Bill -- we need to see all of each racer's safety outfit to make sure he's got it with him and ready to use.  Not that I'm lecturing you, understand -- but for those that haven't gone through the routine before might think they could get away with not having the helmet at inspection -- and telling us that it's okay, was inspected and stickered last month.  Maybe, maybe not -- strange things have happened, you know -- and when the racer with a non-stickered helmet is in the staging line and the pre-stage folks check out his helmet -- whoops, he goes back to the pits for his legal helmet.  We want to avoid getting someone cranky at the line -- so have all of your stuff with you at inspection.

And before you even leave your pit for inspection - have your paperwork filled out!!!!!!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
I always bring two helmets and have them both inspected. I guess thats kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders. :roll:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Fred - "like wearing  belt and suspenders?" - only if you wear both helmets at the same time.
Greg, be sure to stop by shutdown and say hey. It might be a good idea to bring your safety gear with you to get some of the inspector's opinions if you have any questions. If you do come to race and some gear item doesn't pass however, there are usually a bunch of folks willing to share what they can.

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
Fred - "like wearing  belt and suspenders?" - only if you wear both helmets at the same time.
Greg, be sure to stop by shutdown and say hey. It might be a good idea to bring your safety gear with you to get some of the inspector's opinions if you have any questions. If you do come to race and some gear item doesn't pass however, there are usually a bunch of folks willing to share what they can.

I have new gear minus my currently used Bates suit.  Plan to purchase a new suit before I hit the track again.  Should pass inspection as none of its been worn on the track.  Thanks for the advice though, when it comes closer to me getting out there I'll bring it along for pre-inspection.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
Hey Greg,  I recommend that you try to get in there early on Saturday and head over to bike  tech when you arrive.  It will definitely be good for you to see a bike or two run through tech to get a feel for what issues you might come across.  When you come and park just walk in the direction of the timing tower and you will spot the registration/tech area.  Feel free to stop by and say hi when you get a chance.  I run a blue 500cc Ninja and park around the corner from registration.

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
Hey Greg,  I recommend that you try to get in there early on Saturday and head over to bike  tech when you arrive.  It will definitely be good for you to see a bike or two run through tech to get a feel for what issues you might come across.  When you come and park just walk in the direction of the timing tower and you will spot the registration/tech area.  Feel free to stop by and say hi when you get a chance.  I run a blue 500cc Ninja and park around the corner from registration.

What time should I get there?  Maxton is about 2hrs from where I live.

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Wish everyone good luck, be safe and go fast.  I have by Daughters' birthday this weekend and won't be able to make it out.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
Good luck everyone!!  Safe journey, Go Fast. Stay Safe. Stay Upright!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
 :cheers:   Go get 'em ECTA!  And, have some good runs Cajun Kid, everybody else, also!   Go fast,,,,,be safe!    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
Cajun Kid won't be running this weekend -- he and his girl friend are on a Caribbean cruise ship.  But the rest of us will be here, and right now it's a few dozen folks walking along and blowing the crud off the course, spraying with Roundup, and putting out the cones.  The weather is dandy -- mid-70s (it's just before noon) and there are light clouds out there.  Nice breeze -- too bad we can't get to inspecting now, but the registration trailer isn't open for the sheets for us.  Thee are about a dozen race vehicles or maybe 15 here so far -- but I expect that'll grow as the day goes along.

Nancy is sunning and I'm typing.  Not all that bad.  Not enough to take photos yet (of the race vehicles -- I won't comment on Nancy's outfit).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com