Author Topic: Which Tires?? and I need Lots of other help with my VW  (Read 5696 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Which Tires?? and I need Lots of other help with my VW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
Most of us over the years have aquired tires which will meet the specs needed to reach the speeds we are trying to attain. After reaching 196 and setting a record on GoodYear 28" we needed a larger diameter to attain 200; we had run out of rear gearing. Special 18" wheels were made and tires aquired at well over $1000.00 and a speed of 202 was averaged and 1 hat was the reward. The following year an additional set of wider 18" wheels were made and larger tires purchased at over $1500.00 and an average speed of 210 was reached and 2nd red hat was this reward. Total tire/rim cost for the red hats. . . . . .Who Cares........Red Hats are priceless...(I didn't include the barrel of nitro or all the engine work and parts + 28 years experience) We ended up on Dunlops and have never used either set again so far.

At my 45th High School reunion af good buddy saw my 200 MPH shirt with the speed of 210.9 on it and asked what something like that costs. I asked him how much he had (this guy is definately not hurting) as he balked a little I responed it was not enough. He laughed and I said "It will take all you got."
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

saltfever

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »
All of the information so far is "spot on" and correct but they are trying to fit you into a legal class for the car to set a record. That was an assumption based on your first response. However, it is now clear you just want to run for experience first and a record in the future . . .  a very wise strategy. :wink:

So . . . you can run your car just as it is for T/O (Time only) and not have to worry about disconecting anything or changing any fuel and you can try for any speed you want. However, if tech determines the car is capable of 200+MPH you will have to meet safety requirements for 200+. In essence, the tires must be LSR rated and the body will need roof rails, parachute, window clamps, etc and fire suit, gloves, etc are upgraded. The rule book clearly spells out safety requirements for 200+. You can go round after round, all week long, have a ball, and learn a lot this year. All the best  :-)

PS: I didn't look at your cage but as mentioned, requirements are more stringent for greater speeds. You need your cage inspected. Perhaps El Mirage in June? For 200+ I doubt a 6 point cage would qualify. It may be easier to de-tune (remove turbo?) for slower speeds for this year if you can't enhance your cage in time for Speed Week.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:08:11 PM by saltfever »

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »
Thank you so much to everyone for all of the useful information. This is a lot to digest but I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that you guys have a ton of knowledge. I have to read through everything again but I have more questions.  :-D

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 03:05:16 AM »
Keep posting as you progress with the mods required for Bonneville.
That's a serious VW! :cheers:
Welcome to the sport, you will be addicted soon enough.

Cheers,
Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »
All of the information so far is "spot on" and correct but they are trying to fit you into a legal class for the car to set a record. That was an assumption based on your first response. However, it is now clear you just want to run for experience first and a record in the future . . .  a very wise strategy. :wink:

So . . . you can run your car just as it is for T/O (Time only) and not have to worry about disconecting anything or changing any fuel and you can try for any speed you want. However, if tech determines the car is capable of 200+MPH you will have to meet safety requirements for 200+. In essence, the tires must be LSR rated and the body will need roof rails, parachute, window clamps, etc and fire suit, gloves, etc are upgraded. The rule book clearly spells out safety requirements for 200+. You can go round after round, all week long, have a ball, and learn a lot this year. All the best  :-)

PS: I didn't look at your cage but as mentioned, requirements are more stringent for greater speeds. You need your cage inspected. Perhaps El Mirage in June? For 200+ I doubt a 6 point cage would qualify. It may be easier to de-tune (remove turbo?) for slower speeds for this year if you can't enhance your cage in time for Speed Week.

So I am planning on just going out for World Of Speed. in Sept. run by the USFRA. Can I still just run my car as it is for time only? That is really what I think I should do just to get used to the speed. We are building the car to push around 600-700 awhp and with a top speed of around 250mph but I don't plan on going that fast. Maybe only 190mph since I might not be able to change everything tech wise in time to do 200+mph

saltfever

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
The USFRA is kind of time only. You sign up for different MPH brackets (130, 150, etc). You can read the rules here.
http://www.saltflats.com/

The main thing is that USFRA safety requirements are less stringent than SCTA. I am not ranking one organization over the other. It is a different culture for USFRA and since the MPH brackets are constrained, safety issues can be focused for that bracket. Each organization has a specific (or different) mission and rules are optimized to make that a safe experience. You might even want to enroll in the 130 club. I think that bracket only requires a driveshaft loop and stock safety equipment. At any rate you will find a bracket that your car will fit into as it is equipped now. However, I'm not sure about E-85 since no alcohol fuels are allowed in USFRA. But E-85 is quite popular and maybe USFRA is considering it for a special class. Check with them for their current thinking. Both organizations provide expert tech support and both are there to encourage and promote your salt experience. You will find nothing but positive support from either organization. The only difference is safety requirements which of course, is time and money. Know the difference and plan according to how it fits your current situation. Welcome and good luck.

saltfever

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
One other issue I forgot to mention. Your car is one of 500 produced. That is the minimum for homogulation. That is the minimum production needed for a car to fit into any of the SCTA car classes. That could be a particular focus with Tech as well as other competitors in the future. To avoid any problems make absolutely sure you have irrefutable evidence to prove 500 cars were produced.  :-)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:12:02 AM by saltfever »