Author Topic: Which Tires?? and I need Lots of other help with my VW  (Read 5697 times)

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
Which Tires?? and I need Lots of other help with my VW
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
So I plan on coming out to Bonneville for the World Of Speed event and I am wanting to make it into the 200mph club. I have a 2004 VW R32 which is basically an all wheel drive Golf. My wheels are 8.5" wide but I can run as skinny as 7" wide. Any experts have any tire recommendations for the salt? I have never run out there and after doing a lot of reading I am nervous about what tire to run. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:59:48 PM by xbluewaterx »

Offline GH

Re: Which Tires??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
200 MPH Club, that's what a lot of us are after.

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
Yeah I have guys coming from all over the world to tune and prepare this car but the one thing that I can't find an answer to is what tires to run.... :?

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Its good to have goals but it might be a little more complicated than that. :-D

Do you understand that in order to gain membership into the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, that you are required to set a record over 200 and there may still be a minimum on top of that, not just make a 200 mph pass? What is the record in your class?

Tell us more about your car.

Do you have a rule book?
Does your car fit into a class? Is it legal for that class?
Do you and your car have the required safety equipment?

You are at the right place and you will receive a lot of support.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
Its good to have goals but it might be a little more complicated than that. grin

Do you understand that in order to gain membership into the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, that you are required to set a record over 200 and there may still be a minimum on top of that, not just make a 200 mph pass? What is the record in your class?
I believe BFCC Engine "E"
or possibly PRO but I am planning on running E-85 and in Production class I don't think you can run E-85.
I do understand that I would need to set a record and that is my ultimate goal but I am not sure that it can be achieved this year. Since it will be my first year I am just looking at making some 200mph passes to try and gain some experience.

Tell us more about your car.
My car is a 2004 VW R32. It has a 3.2L VR6 engine. The car is only 1 of 500 like it. The engine has been fully built with all forged internals. 8:1cr I am running a Precision Turbo PT6865 .81ar
The engine is being tuned to run E-85 on 1600cc injectors and we plan on running around 30-40psi of boost which should put us around  700-800 AWHP. The top speed with the current gearset is around 250mph. It is a 6 speed transmission and the awd system is controlled by a Haldex controller and is about a 50/50 split from front to rear. The car currently has a 6 point roll cage with Nascar Style door bars and I am still running the stock fuel tank. 

Here is a picture of the car at a recent car show

and here is a link to the roll cage build.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4883618-My-Turbo-R-Roll-Cage

Do you have a rule book?
I just purchased one last week but it has not arrived yet.

Does your car fit into a class? Is it legal for that class?
Do you and your car have the required safety equipment?
I am not sure what class my car fits into. So I am hoping someone can give me direction.
I am also not sure about the safety equipment.
I do have a SFI-5 rated 2 layer suit, gloves, shoes etc..
I also have a hans device. I have a Kill Switch, I do not have a fuel cut off switch.... I don't know if I need one.
I basically have all of the safety equipment and certification to run in the scca.

You are at the right place and you will receive a lot of support.
Thanks a lot. I have a lot to learn and I am a bit overwhelmed. I just hope there is a good community of people here that are willing to teach a young buck like me.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
xbluewaterx

There isn't a more helpful and understanding group of people in the world than the folks on this site.  Good luck with your dream.

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Thank you! :-D

-Gabe

Offline dw230

Re: Which Tires?? and I need Lots of other help with my VW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
A couple of basics.

The only classes you can run your VW with AWD in are Production. If the supercharger is non OEM, did the car have the same type as produced?, you cannot use it in Production.

If you want to run the E85 it will have to be in one of the Modified classes such as /BFCC as you mentioned. The AWD will not be allowed there. You can unhook either the front or the rear, your choice.

As you will see when you get your rulebook your SCCA driver's suit, etc. are not adequate for 200 MPH. Your cage may need several modifcations or replacement to meet specs.

Keep asking questions, these guys will give you the straightscoop.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »
BTW, where are you located Gabe? There may be an event soon that you can attend to get some hands on info.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »
A couple of basics.

The only classes you can run your VW with AWD in are Production. If the supercharger is non OEM, did the car have the same type as produced?, you cannot use it in Production.

If you want to run the E85 it will have to be in one of the Modified classes such as /BFCC as you mentioned. The AWD will not be allowed there. You can unhook either the front or the rear, your choice.

As you will see when you get your rulebook your SCCA driver's suit, etc. are not adequate for 200 MPH. Your cage may need several modifcations or replacement to meet specs.

Keep asking questions, these guys will give you the straightscoop.

DW

I am located in Denver, CO.

So this year will I be allowed to run at all to try and reach 200mph with my AWD system? I do not think I would have the time to modify and just have it FWD or would I just have to run in the 150mph club?

I figured I would need a different suit and cage modifications for the 200mph but I wasn't exactly sure.

Offline jb2

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Can't run production with E85 and can't run other classes with AWD.
Can you calibrate for Gas?

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
I can calibrate for gas but I really do not want to because of the higher engine temps. So basically with my awd setup and the E-85 all I can technically run is the 150mph club? Or if I disconnect my Rear and just run FWD I can run for my personal goal for this year which would be a pass at 200mph?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
As per your question re tires. 200 MPH speeds require racing tires for LSR. Goodyear makes several in 15 inch rim sizes. Mickey Thompson makes them in 18 and 16 inch rim sizes. All of the rim widths are relatively narrow , 5 to 7 inches and the tires cost between $400 to $800 each. Here is the Goodyear site
 http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/dragspecial.html

click on Eagle landspeed.

M/T has no on line info but here are there specs
BONNEVILLE TIRE SPECIFICATIONS                     

Size        24.5x7.50-16   26.5x9.0-18   30.0x9.0-18            

Part No.     033060            033057      033011            

Approx Weight   13 Lbs.     16 Lbs          19 Lbs.            

Measuring Rim   5.5x16      6.5x18      6.5x18            

Rim Width Range   4.0-5.5           6.0-7.0          5.0-7.0            

Tread Width *   "5.2"""           "7.0"""          "6.7"""            

O.D. (Static) *   "24.2"""    "26.1"""   "29.4"""            

Section Width *   "7.5"""            "9.0"""   "9.0"""            

Est. Speed Rating 375 + MPH   475 + MPH   590 + MPH            

Price    $720.00     $740.00     $760.00             

*APPROXIMATE INFLATED DIMENSIONS @ 90 PSI                  
      NOTE:  ALL TIRES ARE TUBELESS               

"ABOVE SPECS PER M/T ENGINEERING:  REVISED AS OF JULY 29, 2003"                     
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:31:28 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Well - you're getting a lot thrown at you, so let's see if we can clarify and crystallize a bit.

The 200 MPH club is a SCTA/BNI sanctioned award.  In order to qualify, the car will have to be built to the SCTA Rulebook, which I gather you have on order.  As has been already explained, you'll need to set a record over 200 MPH, not simply travel that fast.  I viewed your cage build, and I'm not taking anything away from the work you've done so far, but I suspect it won't pass tech for SCTA.

The 150 MPH Club is a USFRA sanctioned event, and those who successfully turn an average speed of between 150.000 and 159.999 will be recognized.  These are somewhat looser rules, and their rules are posted here -

http://www.saltflats.com/I50_Club_2009.html

To run the 150 club, you're going to have to get it running on gas.  Decent quality high octane racing gas is available at the event.

If your cage meets SCCA requirements, it's likely the USFRA will okay it.

WOS is an event that is, for lack of a better term, co-sanctioned.  What's nice about that is that there will be a lot of SCTA folks around who would likely be able to steer you straight as far as your plans are concerned.

I'd shoot for the 150 Club this year and spend the winter prepping for the SCTA/BNI event next year.  You'll get salt on your car, you'll figure out how to drive on it, and you'll have a clearer picture of what it's going to take to get a hat.

Welcome aboard!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »
To go Chris (MM) one farther -- at the USFRA meet in September it's not unusual to find Dan Warner doing impound duties -- and he's an SCTA guy that's full of information for you.  Tom Evans is usually there to inspect bikes - another SCTA guy, even though of not much use for your car.  Many racers run at both meets -- so you'll find lots of people that can give you advice and information that'll do you well when you're heading for one of the SCTA/BNI events.

The USFRA follows SCTA/BNI rules as far as records go -- and have some other stuff, too, like the 150 Club and the 130 Club.  But since they follow the rules and use the same rulebook - and records -- a record set at a USFRA meet is just as valid and goes into the same record book -- as one set at Speedweek or World Finals.

We'll be at all three meets this fall -- hope to see you there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com