Author Topic: could I get away with this????  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

could I get away with this????
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
Ok, heres what I am proposing.....

(Tell me I'm nuts)

I would like to explore using 2 GSXR 1K motors side by side with both counters to a common jackshaft and then to the primary.

This would get me in the G class.

My question is would it be possible to remove one of the counter to jack chains, pull the plugs from one of the engines (*& have this verified before running). This would physically disconnect the engine from the drive, and disable it from running. Would I be able to run in the 'I' class?

I think it would be sweet to be able to run the I & G class at the same event.

Any probs with what I am suggesting?

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: could I get away with this????
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
Jonny, I won't tell you your nuts, and I don't know if what you're proposing is legal or not, but I will say this much - you ARE ALWAYS THINKING.

My initial thought is that by disconnecting one engine, you've created the most expensive piece of ballast on the salt.  Not a bad thing, mind you.

Do you think the chains would hold up to it?  I know it works on drag bikes, but you're pushing a bit more weight, and for a longer period of time.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:18 AM »
Sorry Jonny, but the way I read the 2010 rule book (pg. 15 2.A 4th sentence) "Only streamliners and unlimited diesel trucks may use more than one engines at the same time".

Otherwise it's a great idea.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
I wonder where the line is drawn between 1 & 2 engines. The V8 hayabusa engine is 1 engine, but is this because it has a common crank and case between them?

If I were to build the 2 gsxr motors with the cases grafted together and could not be separated unless cut, could that be considered 1 motor?

More importantly to me is finding a way I can get 2K with a chain drive in the car.

-and....MM, Not worried about the chains. Many peeps have run way more HP then I have and I was able to put down 440 HP without issues last year.

~JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
Section 2.A

"Only Streamliners and Unlimited Diesel Trucks may use more than one engine at the same time. For any engine to be considered for cubic inch (cc) requirements, the engine shall have contributed to the propulsion of the vehicle.

If you remove the plugs then that puts the underlinedd sentence into effect.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Utahfab

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
A question/thought on the Hayabusa based V8.  I don't think anyone would argue it is a single engine as they use one crank, one crankcase and one management system but! Is it legal, Under SCTA rules, as a motorcycle?  Motorcycles must use motorcycle engines, one or two depending on the class.  People point to Bub7 as an engine that's never been seen in a production motorcycle but SCTA agreed it was from conception to installation, a motorcycle engine.  There is an English gentleman working on an assault on a bike record that plans to power it with a Busa based V8.  Unless he has something in writing from the SCTA I think he might be in for a surprise.  There are several Hayabusa based V8 engines out there but all were conceived and built for use in CARS!  To my knowledge, his is the first use of one in a bike.  Chrysler had a show "bike" with a Viper V10.  Does that make it legal as an SCTA motorcycle streamliner?

I'd say unless the class requires a "production based" engine, you should be able to build your own.  The question ends up being what constitutes an engine vs. two?

One crank?  Not necessarily as there are examples of production engines with multiple crankshafts.

One crankcase?  I would think a single crankcase would qualify as a single engine.  I don't think you could bolt together that crankcase but if it's welded into a single case I'd have to argue it's legal.  Cast or welded, there are production examples of both.

One engine management system?  Not necessarily as there production engines that use two separate systems.  I don't think any of the twin engine guys are using a single management system but I'm surprised they don't as I’d think it could simplify tuning.

Rules.  Do you ask for clarification (get it in writing!) and run the possibility of having an innovative idea overruled or do you build within rules as written, and in some cases, previously enforced?  I think pushing the envelope IS the challenge of Bonneville but we can't afford to build it then see if it gets past tech the way NASCAR did/does?

Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
Not to de-rail the conversation, I just have a comment.

I am very happy to see/read that innovation and radical thinking is still alive today.

It is the true definition of racing. IMHO.

Carry on, looking forward to more of this.

John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
Jonny - If you're thinking of using the Hartley/Busa, it might simply be a matter of pulling four pistons.  We've both seen 4 cylinder SBC's running short loaded to make class. 

But it's a boatload of cash to get into that one.

Welding two blocks together?  I seem to recall a discussion between SCTA members last year about what constituted a vintage block, and while that wouldn't include your engine(s), the discussion might be germane to where you're headed.

You're running MS, correct?

Cheers! :cheers: 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bak189

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
OK.....Regarding the Busa V-8 that is going to power the M/C liner out of the UK.  It is my understanding that SCTA/BNI ruled it legal (I might be wrong on that DW?) However, keep in mind if it runs at a BNI event it would be only for testing and for time only........They are going after the FIM World Record
so that means the BUB event of the Cook Shootout........for FIM Records the Busa V-8 is legal........

PS. Regarding, BUB-7 you will not see it racing at a SCTA/BNI event, not because of the V-4 power unit
but it uses cable steering.......(read the SCTA/BNI rules)
Question authority.....always

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
Sorry Bob,

Not my deal, I'm a four wheel guy. That said, I believe you are correct as to legality.

Contact either Tom or Van.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
I am not even remotely considering the Hartley V8 motor.

I am trying to find out if I were to have 2 GSRX 1000 engines with grafted cases (side by side in an inline 8 configuration), would this be considered 1 engine even if the cranks were independent?

*Andres Segovia

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
Well Jonny your nuts are a little cold on this one....  :-D

But if you want to run G, make your Hayabusa bigger.  We ran ours in G.... they are not quite as reliable when you make them real big...

If you want to run I put a gsxr 1000 in it. 

I think you will spend a lot of time and money on something that will be disallowed after they see the execution.  If you grafted the cranks and cases together you might have a shot at it. 
BTW folks, the hayabusa V8 is not chain drive.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O