Author Topic: LSR Chassis Questions  (Read 6601 times)

Offline geh458

LSR Chassis Questions
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
Hi All,

Is anybody out there familiar with S&W Race Cars in Spring City, PA?  They are known for their dragster, funny car, and door-slammer drag racing chassis', but I'm curious if anyone has used one of their chassis' to build an LSR car.  Most of their chassis' meet one or more SFI requirements, but I don't recall seeing any SFI requirements in the current SCTA rule book with regards to chassis'.  I'm considering their '67 Camaro Roadster Chassis, but haven't yet decided if I would go with an original Body, or the fiberglass/carbon fiber one they recommend.

Also, I don't know where this car would fit in the LSR classes, it's to new for the Roadster classes, and it's not a sedan either.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Gifford
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: LSR Chassis Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
Yes we're aware of S&W racecars, they've been around for over 30 yeas. I'm not sure what a '67 Camaro ROADSTER is but you need a rule book ASAP. It's highly unlikely that a 'glass/carbon body will be legal in any SCTA classes.
I'm guessing here but I'll bet you want to run with the ECTA so maybe they have a place you can fit in.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
As a former employee of S&W I can answer that question... as designed, the chassis will not meet the safety specs for Bonneville or ECTA. The body will not pass the class requirements either. S&W will work with you to build a car to pass tech...actually, they call me and I help them with the rules. If you want, feel free to call me at the shop at 302.378.3013.
joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline geh458

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »
Yes we're aware of S&W racecars, they've been around for over 30 yeas. I'm not sure what a '67 Camaro ROADSTER is but you need a rule book ASAP. It's highly unlikely that a 'glass/carbon body will be legal in any SCTA classes.
I'm guessing here but I'll bet you want to run with the ECTA so maybe they have a place you can fit in.

Michael,

I already have a copy of the 2010 SCTA, and that's where some of the confussion starts.  At least, in the rules for the roadsters, they require an original body, or a fiberglass copy "is" acceptable.  And this isn't the proper thread, but my rule book seems to be missing a few things, as an example the figures referenced when talking about the roll cage reinforcements is missing a couple of the figures.  When I finally get started in the LSR world, I'd love to run with ECTA, but alas I live on the wrong coast.  And just for reference purposes, here's an S&W '67 Camaro Roadster chassis with a Cynergy fiberglass body in drag racing trim.
Gifford Hawn

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
Roadster "...exact replica of a body produced between 1923 & 1938."  That Camaro doesn't qualify at least twice.  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
the only class that body would fit into is streamliner
kent

Offline racergeo

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »
   May I suggest you go to Speed Week in Aug. and take about 500 pictures and talk to some of the competetors that are in the classes that you are most interested in. I think you will have a different take on things and may even want to build for a different class. Some look for soft records so they can have a chance to set one, while others want to be the big dog and think they can beat any record. Roadsters are tough records and you would be wise to hook up with  someone who knows the ropes.

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
geh458,

I see you live in Oxnard. Take a trip to El Mirage this weekend. I am sure you will several questions answered, and get ideas for a few more.

If possible hit tech on Friday, or Saturday morning you can see cars with body panels off that meet the requirements to race.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline geh458

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
geh458,

I see you live in Oxnard. Take a trip to El Mirage this weekend. I am sure you will several questions answered, and get ideas for a few more.

If possible hit tech on Friday, or Saturday morning you can see cars with body panels off that meet the requirements to race.

DW

I'm trying to get out of something to go out Saturday, and try to get there before 7AM, before it get to warm.  But, Friday might be better as you mentioned, and people (racers) will have more time to talk.

Gifford Hawn

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
depends on temp. and how much beer is in play  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Gifford, hope you can make it to the lakebed (El Mirage) this weekend. Look us up (Modified Roadster #701) and say hi. We can try to answer some of your questions. See you then...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...