Author Topic: Steering damper requirements  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Chaulkdust

Steering damper requirements
« on: May 09, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
I was going through the 2010 ECTA Rule Book and did not find a steering damper requirement? I know that this year at BUB a steering damper will be required in all classes. I am I correct in assuming that for 2010 ECTA doesn't require a damper for motorcycles? My old 1965 CB160 has a built in friction type damper does anyone know it this would be OK at BUB or do I need to install another damper?  Below is a top view of the damper that runs through the center post.
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Re: Steering damper requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »
If you are chasing a record of 125 mph or more you will need it.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
I won't even be close to 125 MPH, more like praying for 90.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that in the rule book, I'll look again.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »
On page 74.At the top under general motorcycle rules
7.B.17 Steering Damper.Required in all class over 125 mph.

It dose not matter if you can go 125 or not.If you are chasing a record that is over 125 it is required.
Cant wait to see the 160 go.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
Yep - Thanks, can't believe I missed it, it's right at the top of the page! Another question perhaps someone can answer for me. I plan on running in the 175cc Class M/BG. There is no record for this class, but the fastest time in the entire 175cc category is 103.841 MPH. My tires are H rated so I'm assuming that would be OK, and since there is no records near 125 I wouldn't need a damper? I'll end up putting one on eventually for BUB in August but was hoping to run at Maxton in June and may not have it on by then.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
The whole idea is to avoid a speed wobble, or worse, a tank slapper.

A steering damper is a very good idea no matter what speed you are going.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:11 PM »
A steering damper is definetly a good idea on our not so fast bikes. The old runway at Maxton is concrete with expansion joints and the occasional patch. My bike doesn't come near 125 but the damper seemed to calm down the rear end as well.

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
The friction steering damper will work fine for that bike at its speeds.  I have run at Maxton with a 1954 Parilla 175 4 stroke with a similar damper.   Just remember to adjust it tighter than you would for a roadrace but not so tight that it won't allow you to do that right hand turn at the end....
As others have said, though the rules don't require it for your class, it feels much more comfortable with the damper cranked on than without a damper which I also did at Maxton with my Montesa Trials bike for 3 runs.
As for your other question, the M/BG 175/4 record is indeed open at Maxton for your Honda 160.  So, make it to the finish line and get a record!  But the problem will be that you will not be satisfied with that one, and you will want more and more and more!  Then we will have you right where we want you- hooked.  I am a fellow Honda rider (250cc) and there are not many of us at Maxton.  Come say hi.
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
Thanks Jarl, I will look you up at Maxton if you plan to attend in June. I hope to use the June meet as a shake down to see what the bike will do, how well it performs and what issues I may have. I was at Maxton in 2008 for 1 event as a Volunteer, either the Sept or Oct meet I believe. It was a lot of fun  :-D, worked the shutdown and posting records in the books. So I've been hooked for a while, just took a long time to get the bike built.
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
Ron, no doubt you worked posting records , but "worked" shutdown? We don't work shutdown, everybody knows that. It has been a long time since anyone brought a swimming pool though.  Look forward to seeing you again - ken

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
Ken - actually was busy! We had 1 fellow who's turbo caught on fire and had to spray the bike. he was running Alcohol so it was hard to see the flames but it was burning. Also, the meet I was at was when Dave Owen went off the track, very sad. However I was posting records when that took place. Don't want everyone to think we are loafers. Still running the Triumph?
Ron

Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I must have been busy with the bike when that fire happened - I've always been particularly worried about an alcohol fire. Vic (whose been there the last few September meets) has a wealth of racing experience, so it probably wasn't too new to him; not there is any kind of good fire. As for the terrible trajedy, being there didn't do a d--- bit of good to anybody.