Author Topic: 130 class tech - tire valve stem question  (Read 6851 times)

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
130 class tech - tire valve stem question
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:08:05 AM »
Will the factory GM TPMS sensor/valve stem satisfy the metal valve stem requirement for a 130 class vehicle?

My 2007 GMC Canyon project truck uses the factory TPMS sensors and I'd like to be able to install a set on the wheels that I will be purchasing for my H + race tires which will also get some street use. The TPMS alerts every 20 minutes when they are not installed which is no big deal for Bonneville but it gets really annoying on the street. There is no way to turn off the feature, either.

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: 130 class tech - tire valve stem question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »
The TPMS valves are Metal, so you should be OK to use them for the 130 club.  Are you certain you can not turn off the TPMS monitoring ?  Consult your manual or the dealer,, there is a reset sequence and there should be a disable feature as well ??

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
My dealership (local GMC place) said the tire pressure sensing system can't be turned off -- probably a federal requirement or whatever.  Since I put other-than-stock wheels on my truck for the summer -- I fix the annoying little yellow light on the dash with a piece of electrical tape.

By the way, Bob -- I don't think you can retrofit the sensors into wheels other than those built for 'em -- at least not according to two or three different vendors.  It's something about the shape of the hole and something else, I think, I remember, sorta.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I guess I need to get my hands on the new wheels first and measure the valve stem hole and compare it to my stock wheels.

Seems odd but there is no way to disable the feature by programming or even pulling a fuse. Nothing turns it off.

So what happens is that every twenty minutes or so the system wakes up, can't find any sensors talking back to it and puts an error on the DIC (Driver Information Center) screen that is smack dab in the middle of the gauge cluster. I had thought about taping over it but there are other messages that are worth seeing. Maybe I just get used to ignoring it like I do over the winter when I have my winter wheels/tires on the truck...
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline oldrodder

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
Down n dirty fix for the TPM............ toss all the sensors into the spare.  Federal and most state laws prevent shops from disabling this so called safety feature.  Just so you know, I wouldn't want you to break any do-gooder laws. :evil:
if it has an engine, i like it

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
I still want to know if regular valve stems will fit in the holes for the TPMS.  I was told they would not -- that the hole is way different.  Someone please tell me there's a difference - if there is.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
Jon,

The Metal Valve Stems that Bolt in will work for sure,,, but I am not sure if the old rubber pull throuh kind will work ( I would bet NOT)  but we need metal valve stems for Racing. So long answer yes other non TPMS valve stems will work.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
This is one fairly clever way with someone thinking laterally.
Although, I would be inclined to use some sort of pressure vessel, like a cheap fire extinguisher
And I'm not really that keen on the description as it will probably put me on a federal watch list

G

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
I submitted an official request to Tech via an email to Gary and Ellen a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from Tech yet. I'm within a couple of weeks of mounting my tires and wheels and would really like to know if the factory TPMS valve stems/mechanism are legal before spending $100 on another set only to find I can't use 'em. So if any of the tech guys/gals happen to see this post could you please let me know?

Jon - I ended up ordering a set of factory steel wheels because the smoothies that I really like from the various aftermarket manufacturers can't be built because my Canyon requires a big positive offset. So that solves my problem of wondering whether or not the TPMS sensors will fit something other than a stock wheel.

Thx!

Bob

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:02:06 AM »
Hey Bob;

I are a tech at WOS, done 100's of 130 cars, have never run into this problem.  I have never owned anything new enough to know what you guy's are talking about, but if the valve stem is metal and it has a metal cap, you will be Ok.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »
Thanks for the response, Steve. Yes, the stems are metal and and I believe the stock caps are aluminum. Obviously the cap is the easy part to deal with. The TPMS units attach with a nut just like a traditional metal valve stem but they've got that big sensor inside the wheel and I was worried about that.