Author Topic: Motorcycle Wiring Help - CB160 Honda Turbo  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Chaulkdust

Motorcycle Wiring Help - CB160 Honda Turbo
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
Need some help with some motorcycle wiring. My project bike is an old 1967 Honda CB160. I plan to run the bike at BUB and Maxton this year. I finally got the bike running and all set to go except for some wiring issues. Need some assistance/advice on how to complete some the remaining tasks.

Since I know very little about wiring, the below comments are just guesses on my part since I have no clue as to what is correct or not.

Since the CB160 doesn’t have a kill switch I need to install one on the right grip, also need a dead man tethered kill switch in case I leave the bike. I imagine that these 2 switches need to be install in series so activation of either with turn off the bike. I was thinking about taping into the switched power line on the keyed ignition for these?

I have turbocharger that uses an external oil pump & reservoir, and a fuel pump to feed the carbs. Currently, these are fused and directly connected to the battery and turned on and off via a toggle switch panel manually.

I need to get these rewired, so that they come on and off when I turn the bike on/off. The oil pump at max draws 7 amps and the fuel pump 1.6 amps. For this I was thinking of using an auxiliary fuse box using a relay to a switched line (perhaps the tail light?) – I believe the relay on requires ¼ amp. The aux fuse box connects directly to the battery and the switched relay turns if on/off. Also, these would be disabled with either the kill switch or the tethered switch.

So I need to know does the above sound as the best way to accomplish my tasks, and then some assistance in identifying the proper lines to tap into and get the wiring right. Be happy to do this off-line if some is will to spend the time with me. I do have a wiring diagram for the CB160 I can send out.

By the way, the project does work, the bike generates 8 psi of boost and uses the stock carbs with a blow thru set up and plenum. It’s been bored out to 174cc’s (2mm over) and I made a custom manifold for the motor to turbo which is ceramic coated.

Thanks in Advance!
Ron Pavlak
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Motorcycle Wiring Help - CB160 Honda Turbo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
Ron, last weekend at Portland International Raceway the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association had an event.  There must have been 20 or 30 Honda 160 racers there.  For some odd reason they are very popular.  I looked in my program and it appears that these folks know about 160's www.viciouscycle.com  They had a picture of a racing 160 on their advertisement. 

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »
When you get a chance, please post some pictures of your bike.  :cheers:

Thanks,
Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
Scott, I posted some pictures in the Build Diaries area under CB160 Turbo project.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
I've had good luck using a standard JetSki kill tether.  I wire one side to ground, and the other side to my power wire from the battery, after my main fuse. 

If I pull the tether, it pops the main fuse, and also cuts control power to the starter solenoid (or relay signal wires, such as you might use to run your oil pump, etc.).

The advantage to killing everything, is that if the bike is on the ground and someone tries to pick it up....pushing the starter button does nothing when the supply to the starter solenoid is on the "blown fuse circuit".

Have fun with your project; it's a neat one!

JimL

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »
Ron,
    You have the right idea, but i do like JimL's idea of having the lanyard switch shut everything down with the electric fuel and oil pumps to keep raw fuel from being pumped into a still spinning-with-no-spark turbo motor as raw fuel could mean the end of your turbo. Good luck.
                                                                                      -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
Your relay idea is sound, i would use the ign power to trigger the relay and have the ign power inturrupted by the tether , kill switch or key.

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what I ended up doing. The relay is wired to the ignition line and the tether and kill switch in series to that. Works great, kills both the fuel pump & oil pump if either the ignition switch is off or if the kill or tether are activated. 
Ron Pavlak
Florida