Author Topic: Rookie Orientation at El Mirage  (Read 6930 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Rookie Orientation at El Mirage
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:42 AM »
Hey all,

I'm the new Rookie Orientation Director and I wanted to get some basic info posted up for all of our new participants.  I am part of a new Driver Education Committee that consists of Head Car Inspector "Kiwi" Steve Davies, Car Committee Chair Lee Kennedy, Head Motorcycle Inspector Tom Evans, Motorcycle Committee Chair Van Butler, SCTA Secretary Miriam MacMillian, and myself.  Our goal is to make sure that all drivers and riders, new or otherwise, are supplied with the information necessary to go out and compete safely while having fun.  Unfortunately over the past few El Mirage seasons, there has been a bit of an influx in driving infractions occurring.  As a result, this new committee was formed with the goal of reducing the number of infractions by increasing new driver education.

To do this, we've made a couple of changes to the Rookie Orientation procedure.  First, all new drivers and riders will maintain their rookie status for the entire event whereas before you were only a rookie for your first run.  The purpose here is to keep our new drivers and riders in a controlled environment and work on making good clean runs and getting lots of seat time with no pressure to go for broke and attack any records too soon.  Yes, there will be exceptions but they will be dealt with on a case by case basis.  Just be prepared to run out of the rookie line for the entire event.  You will graduate out of rookie status when you have successfully proven to the Driver Education Committee that you're ready to do so.

The next big change is that the Rookie Orientation is now a two part event.  We will start the first part of the orientation the day before the event and finish the orientation on the morning of the event.  So, on a normal one day event, orientation is started on Saturday at 4:00 pm and the second part starts at the driver's meeting on Sunday morning at about 7:00 am.  Two day events will have two orientations: the first starting Friday afternoon and ending Saturday morning and the second starting Saturday afternoon and then ending Sunday morning.  Because of the time change in the fall, afternoon orientations in November will start an hour earlier (3:00 pm).  All new drivers, riders, and crew members must attend both parts of the orientation. 

Rookie Orientation will begin promptly at the Registration Trailer.  DO NOT be late.  From there we may go over to the SCTA property to hold the classroom section of the orientation.  Once the classroom stuff is taken care off we will drive over to the starting line and then proceed down on a tour of the race course.  In order to do this you will need a support vehicle with working CB radio.  Please bring any new crew members with you.  We will be covering very importation information that all drivers, riders, and crew members must know.

The morning of the event we will all meet up for the second half of the orientation at the driver's meeting.  From the starting line we will watch the first ten or so race vehicles start their runs.  Importance here is seeing how starting procedures are conducted.  Then we will move down to the finish line and watch the next ten or so race vehicles complete their runs.  Importance here is seeing how to correctly end the run and move off the course while staying within the race course boundaries.  Rookie stickers WILL NOT be issued until the end of the second half of the orientation.  You MUST attend both parts in order to complete the orientation. 

Rookies will be allowed to make one run per round once the first 25 vehicles have ran.  First rookie runs are limited to 150 mph.  There are NO exceptions to this rule.  Once you have completed your first rookie run, you will continue to run out of the rookie line where you will be making licensing passes.  As stated before, any rookie status exceptions will be dealt with on a case by case basis and are subject to approval by the Race Director.  You CAN NOT set a record from out of the rookie line.   

Well guys and gals, I think that about covers it.  Our first event is coming up in a week and I'm looking forward to starting the 2010 season off on the right foot.  If you have any questions regarding Rookie Orientation please feel free to post up here or message me.  If you are a new driver or rider and will be debuting a new race vehicle, please be sure to consult with the appropriate technical personnel BEFORE arriving to an event for the first time (contact info is in the rule book). 

Show up early and be prepared to be orientated.  It's going to be fun.  :-D

Nate
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Rookie Orientation at El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
Great info Nate.  Thanks for posting.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
so after the first meet that you are not rookie anymore ?  the next meet will you have to run out of the rookie line ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:54:33 AM by mkilger »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
The new standard is that all new drivers/riders will stay rookies for the entire event and not just their first rookie run.  After their first event as a rookie they will "graduate" up into normal status and run out of the regular lines during the next event. 

The only expection would be if someone were to show up that already has significant SCTA driving experience.  For example, a driver who has only driven at Bonneville shows up to El Mirage for the first time but is already licensed up to 300 mph.  Assuming they make a good clean rookie run and maybe one additional follow up run, we would move this person out of rookie status quicker than someone who has never driven at an SCTA event.  These exceptions will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

The true new drivers/riders will keep their rookie status for the whole meet.     

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
cool thanks what time fri is the meeting

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:54:47 PM »
Nate,

I applaud you for taking on the responsibility of training the new drivers. It sounds like some very positive changes have occurred that are long overdue. Great move to keep a rookie a rookie for the whole meet.

Good luck,

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
Mike, RO starts at 4:00 pm sharp (3:00 pm in November).  We meet at the registration trailer.

Tom, thanks!  We're hoping to see a significant decrease in infractions.  Guess we'll see! 

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
Nathan,

I think that this is a GREAT program that you guys are doing here, and that it will be very beneficial. My question is, what if someone has watched hundreds maybe thousands of runs from the starting line and has been around Land Speed Racing for quite some time? Do they still have to watch the runs from the starting line and at the finish line? Thanks for all that you're doing Nathan! Again, I think this is a GREAT program!  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:42:21 AM »
As a comment:  At least once a year both Nancy and I go through rookie orientation at Maxton.  A refresher doesn't hurt -- and if nothing else, it's fun to see the new folks and the excitement they've got.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bville701

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
Hey Slim,

I hear ya.    :cheers:    It's just a question? I have no problem with the new rule. I think it's GREAT!   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:08 AM »
Nathan,

I think that this is a GREAT program that you guys are doing here, and that it will be very beneficial. My question is, what if someone has watched hundreds maybe thousands of runs from the starting line and has been around Land Speed Racing for quite some time? Do they still have to watch the runs from the starting line and at the finish line? Thanks for all that you're doing Nathan! Again, I think this is a GREAT program!  :cheers:

Yeah, any and all new drivers/riders would need to do the full orientation.  What goes for one applies to all.  Rookies can't run until the first 25 cars have ran anyways so this gives them something to do for the first hour or so.   :wink:  Also makes sure that they go to the driver's meeting like everyone is supposed to do.

I think I heard somewhere the your brother was going to start driving this year.  If so, it's always nice to have someone in the orientation that's already familiar with running a car on the dirt.  Helps to keep me in check!

Offline Papi

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:44:17 AM »
Thanks Nate.
Even though I'm no longer "technically" a Rookie and on my "B" now, I find the orientations always helpful to stay in touch with the Rules
and get your head back in the game safely before each meet.
You guys do a great job. Thank you.

Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Bville701

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »
Thanks Nathan. I totally understand.  :cheers: By the way I am the brother that will be driving this year.  LOL   :wink:  My brother will be one of the first 25 cars running in the morning, so he won't be able to attend. Thanks for answering my question, and I will see you Fri. afternoon.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline Bville701

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »
I just wanted to say that Nathan did a GREAT job for rookie orientation and that I appreciate him taking on this task! Thanks Nathan for all that you're doing for the sport!  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline FADED

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
THANKS NATE! I enjoyed your class and the whole experience. If you never had this before I dont know how the rookies knew what to do? I learned so much from you, and would have been lost without it!
THANKS AGAIN, SEE YOU IN JUNE, LANCE