Author Topic: "Casper" report.  (Read 3812 times)

McRat

"Casper" report.
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
 :oops:

Well, things didn't work out as I planned.  We are still waiting on parts, and there is only a 1% the truck will run next week.

But a BIG THANKS out to the SCTA/BNI crew for the honor of putting Casper on the 2010 El Mirage T-Shirt and poster, and in the 2010 Rulebook.   :cheers:

There are a lot of other race teams that deserve it a LOT more than we do, but DANG it sure did put a smile on everybodies face who has helped us with the truck.
 8-)

Thanks again!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: "Casper" report.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
Well, well -- there it is, on the /DT rule page.  Sorry I hadn't noticed it earlier.

So Nancy and I recently traded our '04 Duramax for an '09 -- with no diesel fluid reservoir.  That's good, right?  Anything I oughta learn about the motor?  We're only at about 9k miles so far.

Good to hear from you -- you've been quiet for a long time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
The LMM engine you have is the most powerful diesel put in a pickup, at 365HP.  Stock, on a dyno, it shows about the same rwhp numbers as an original 426 Hemi, ~325rwhp.

Most everybody loves their LMM's.

Things you need to know:

Smog testing is coming for the diesels.  Be careful of removing components.  Do not discard.

You do not have a diesel emissions fluid engine, but you DO have a Diesel Particulate Filter.  It is self cleaning.  You will see a light on the dash when it's cleaning.  Do not park over dry brush with the engine running.

If you "re-tune" the engine computer, GM can tell, and can void your powertrain warranty.  Not sure if there is a 100% fix for that, but trust me, people are working on it.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
 I've got 19,500mi on my 09, I like this truck allot. I'm sure you will too Slim.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
Water injection will pretty much completely eliminate the need for the engine to go into regen.  Fuel economy goes WAY up when you aren't dumping a ton of extra fuel into the combustion chamber to burn out that DPF.  AEM water/methanol injection kits are on sale right now....  :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
Well, like Pat says, I've got the LMM engine, with about 8,800 miles on the truck.  So far it either hasn't regenerated -- or did it so silently/invisibly that we didn't notice.

So -- water injection, hunh?  We don't drive fast nor at full throttle, don't use passing gear (so to speak) much at all.  We do pull the 26' race trailer to and from the Salt a few times a year and to Maxton at least once.  Knowing this -- will I ever get my money back in increased fuel economy?  The truck is getting in the 20 - 22 mpg range around town now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:05 PM »
I have a 2009 Chevy  3500 Crew Cab 4 x 4 Duelly  Duramax... Only 4500 miles on it,,, I like it so far, but fuel milage is no where near what SSS gets on his 09 GMC !!!

What is this water injection deal ?   where can I get one ?  will it help MPG while towing ?
How big a water tank does it need ?  is it expensive and is it simple to install ?

This is my first GM  diesel,, last 11 years been running Power Stroke Fords...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
At about 10K  miles it will start to get better. I have 93K on my 2003 duramax and I get 20 to 22 on the road at 70mph. Once you get it broke in it will get a lot better.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bville701

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
:oops:

Well, things didn't work out as I planned.  We are still waiting on parts, and there is only a 1% the truck will run next week.

But a BIG THANKS out to the SCTA/BNI crew for the honor of putting Casper on the 2010 El Mirage T-Shirt and poster, and in the 2010 Rulebook.   :cheers:

There are a lot of other race teams that deserve it a LOT more than we do, but DANG it sure did put a smile on everybodies face who has helped us with the truck.
 8-)

Thanks again!

Pat, sorry to hear that you can't make. Hopefully we'll see you out there next month.    :cheers:

Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member