Author Topic: Supersonic car!  (Read 6063 times)

stu

Supersonic car!
« on: October 20, 2005, 08:28:58 AM »
I am a student working on the conceptual design of a car to travel 1000mph (Mach 1.3). I am working on the structural design and logistics of the car.

What would be the major considerations to take into account when designing the car's structure, it terms of strength, weight, material, vibration etc.?

Also.....can anyone help me out with details of how to get this type of car re-fueled and turned around within the 1hour time limit after its first run.....not one of the most technical parts but it still has to be done!?

Cheers!

landracing

Supersonic car!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 08:53:32 AM »
Personally I would buy the books from Breedlove put at in 1965, then I would buy the Thrust SSC book that the Team put out. Tons on info there. The thrust SSC book has alot of trials and tribulation on what they have done. Just priceless information and more info then probably what you are going to get off this board. You can also follow the current team building a Mach I plus car at http://www.landspeed.com

Have fun.
Jon

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Supersonic car!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:41:34 AM »
Jon is correct stu, those books are a great resource and will be able to cover the topic in more detail than we can type here. We'll be happy to answer (as best we can) any questions you might come up with as you go along.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

stu

Supersonic car!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 12:08:51 PM »
Cheers guys, i f.found the books! I may have some more questions for you in the near future.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
supersonic car
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 01:25:09 PM »
Check out nasa.gov, Jet Propulsion Labratory, and Langley Research Center. These guys eat supersonic for breakfast!

Good luck...   Smitty

Offline Malcolm UK

Supersonic car!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:26:56 AM »
Stu

Does your conceptual vehicle have to be a "car"?  

If you are looking at a 1000 mph land based vehicle to operate on some location on this earth - and I would suggest looking at tracks outside the USA - then check the FIM rules for a three wheeled vehicle and their LSR operating rules.

John Ackroyd from Britain designed Thrust 2 - the 650 mph car of Richard Noble and his book on the design sets down the parameters that he looked at.  He suggested finding the track before designing the car/bike whatever.  If I were marking your paper I would check to see if this point is covered - you may have a conceptual vehicle but the earth is the only place to operate it.

The late Ken Norris, designer of Bluebird CN7, suggested that any project has to look at the four Ms - Man, Machine, Medium & Money.  The 'medium' is the surface you will run on.

Good luck with this project.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Tricks of the trade
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:58:26 AM »
The aero difference from a car(4 or more wheels) and a bike(3 or less ) is none.
 What looks like a single wheel to the air can be split into 2 halves, operate independently and count as 2. The FIA system is more user friendly with respect to the certification and costs.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Supersonic car!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
Hi Stu,

it may be give you a idea whe you read some of this books, but each racer was designed in a different way and to a different base concept by the designer.

When you start to design a racer you have know how you like to reach the goal.

As a example - Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America Sonic Arrow (later called 2000) and the Thrust SSC - I was "involed" in both - was two totally different concept.

Craig worked with a minimum on drag and a single engine to go thru the barrier - Bowsher and Ayers from the Thrust went on to use a heavy car to keep the car on the ground, but therefore it was necessary to use two engines.

Both teams done mistakes in design and concept. When I talked to Bowsher and explained him (to my opinion) some mistakes on the car concept and the effects, he was very surprised - in his own words "damn this explaines some of our problems".

The SoA got at first the parachute box on the wrong place which caught the SoA to his famous u-turn - the car was due to the position to sensitive against crosswind. A year later (1997) the modified not only the position of the parachute, they also redesigned the outrigger - the wrong way.

This just as a example.

So check the way how you like to reach the goal, than start to design.

You can contact me off list if you like - use my e-mail address with the describtion "Record Racer".

Thing fast.....always
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Malcolm UK

Supersonic car!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
Stu

Once you read the FIM rules on their website you will see that it has relevance to your question in an earlier post on turnaround.

Start with the track you are going to 'run' this conceptual vehicle for a kilo or mile at 1000 mph and then you will know what rate of acceleration you will need.  Then check the human anatomy details to see if a vehicle controlled by a human can be operated within these requirements.

Then come back and tell us if it is a Breedlove design, a Ron Ayers design, and Ackroyd design or a Stu design!
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Actually
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 06:17:20 PM »
I would probably be more inclined to go with a slow NASA design. You just have to figure out how to do it on the ground in the face of the energy created by the shock wave. You might study the sled tests done in New Mexico in the 50s.
You might try a Chuck Yeager design also.
The "North American Eagle" can do it straight up.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Franklin_Ratliff

Franklin_Ratliff

Walt Arfons rocket car
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 11:59:19 AM »

Franklin_Ratliff

The Blue Flame
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 12:16:05 PM »

Franklin_Ratliff

Rosco McGlashan rocket car
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »