Author Topic: Windows in Pro  (Read 3207 times)

Offline RichFox

Windows in Pro
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
I was fooling with my '52 Stude Pickup today and the question came up from another guy with a 60 year old orphan car that he wants to run in PRO. His and my windows are largely nonexistent. He wants to use Lexan to make windows for his car. pretty much the same idea I had. But the rules say the windows must be of the same year and manufacture as the body. Come on. My Cummins/Dodge push truck is on it's third windshield. Where would I get real '52 Stude windows? Why would I want to? I believe this is a case of a rule that is written to say something other than what was the intent. DW or other people in the know, Can I get by with Lexcan?

Offline dw230

Re: Windows in Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:47:51 PM »
Not in Production. Put air dam on it and run modified pu.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:50:02 PM »
Whoops, that won't do it.

He will need:

Engine swap
Quick change
non-stock supercharger

Because he has it doesn't mean its legal. Send him to the 130 club.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:45 AM »
At least it's flat glass. Won't be original Mfg. But I really don't think anybody is that pickey.  Thanks.

saltfever

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
(Page 37) "All vehicles shall have all non-laminated safety glass windows with safety film on both sides, or replace the windows with polycarbonate material".

While more than one section of the rule book is used to determine class legality, this is a common sense safety requirement. If the old vehicle had original non-safety glass, the rule above seems to allow a Lexan replacement. But even if it originally had safety glass and the Lexan was set in the stock frame, at a stock depth, and with all stock trim in place; I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed. In fact if it was a flat Lexan plate that did not replicate the stock contour you probably are at an aero disadvantage! YMMV with the rule makers though . . .   :-)

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
I forgot about that sentence. Rich, have your buddy fix up his Production Pickup as described and have a go.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:29:07 PM »
I kind of thought you had it right the first time, Dan. I agree that it isn't going to get any faster with Lexan windows and it will be better. But it also detracts from the Production part of the deal. I hate being confused.