Author Topic: Motorcycle tank capacity  (Read 8981 times)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Motorcycle tank capacity
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
    I am building another gas tank for my bike. I run only in Modified class both fuel and gas. The rule 7.F says 1.32 gallons capacity. Can I put a partition in the tank with two fill and two outlets?The total capacity being 1.32 gallons for both sides.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle tank capacity
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll take a whack at it anyway.  If the two tanks' total capacity is less than 5 liters (1.32 gallons) you're in altered a/k/a special construction, because to be in modified you need a tank at or larger than that capacity.  Altered allows ANY size tank.

But why a partitioned tank?  What's left unsaid here?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll take a whack at it anyway.  If the two tanks' total capacity is less than 5 liters (1.32 gallons) you're in altered a/k/a special construction, because to be in modified you need a tank at or larger than that capacity.  Altered allows ANY size tank.

But why a partitioned tank?  What's left unsaid here?

Hi Jon.
  I want the two tanks total capacity to be over 1.32. I may build it 1.5 gallons to be safe.

.After thinking about it I could just make my main tank 1.32 .Then a second tank of what ever size fits .But size is why I want to put it in one tank.I do not want to run in the altered class .

I will remove the Nitrous to run in the GAS class.

The reason for the separation is I was thinking of using two fuels. For the carbs I run 100 octane rocket brand. Then I want to run 118 octane fuel with nitrous .

I don't think the engine will run well on 118 octane and I only want to spray 6th gear. I figure the 118 will cool thing down so I can run more timing.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
If I read this right -- and I'll make sure I'm doing just that -- the capacity of the two tanks, added together, is grater than the 1.32 gallons, right?

If that's the case -- you'll be in altered/special construction class.  The idea of the tank minimum size rule is to make the bikes in modified class be somewhat related to a street-legal bike, whereas a bike with a tiny gas tank (in this case, about 2 1/2 liters or less than 3 quarts) is a race-only bike.

And now that you've publicly told us that you want to put fuel for one class in one side, fuel for a different class in the other -- nope, I don't think so.  I'm willing to let the powers that be (read: Race Director or Chief Inspector) override me if they choose to interpret the rule in a different way.  Chances are that if you arrived at the race track without having asked first here -- and you told me what you wanted to do/had already done -- then I'd likely go asking a higher authority to make the ruling.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »
That is why I ask questions before I build.  :-D

I only want to run in Modified or Modified Partial streamliner . If I enter in the gas Class.I would show up with both tanks empty. Then buy gas from the track and seal the tanks. MPS/G 250-4

If I want to run Modified Partial streamliner. But in the fuel class. I still buy fuel from the track .But I would buy 2 different octaine levels . Not seal the tank and hang a nitrous bottle on the side .MPS/F 250-4.
See

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
having a hard time following the logic....

per sss...

"""If the two tanks' total capacity is less than 5 liters (1.32 gallons) you're in altered a/k/a special construction"""

followed by (per sss)....

"""the capacity of the two tanks, added together, is grater than the 1.32 gallons, right?

If that's the case -- you'll be in altered/special construction class"""

Joe :)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
  I want the two tanks total to be MORE that 1.32 gallons. But want to stay in Modified . The rule 7.F says     

Gas tank"S" If not original equipment to the production model.Must have a minimum capacity of 5 liters or 1.32 gallons

So if I build one 1.5 gallon tank with a divider . Fill it with track fuel and sealed it at the track it should be in the GAS class . And if it is not sealed it is in FUEL class.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:28:58 PM »
having a hard time following the logic....

per sss...

"""If the two tanks' total capacity is less than 5 liters (1.32 gallons) you're in altered a/k/a special construction"""

followed by (per sss)....

"""the capacity of the two tanks, added together, is grater than the 1.32 gallons, right?

If that's the case -- you'll be in altered/special construction class"""

You are saying I will be in altered either way?

Offline bak189

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
Hey......when was the last time you saw SCTA/BNI (Tom Evans and crew) check the capacity of a fuel tank.......Hey.......SSS, how many times have you checked tank capacity while doing Tech.... Hey....How many times did they check tank capacity in impound after a record was set.......Stupid rule................
Question authority.....always

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
Okay -- what I meant to say is that the rule wants tanks under 1.32 gallons for altered only, but any size is okay.  For modified it says tanks must be at least 1.32 gallons.

As for measuring how much they hold -- Bob, I have checked capacity while doing tech when, for instance, I've had the racer open the tank -- which was obviously questionable under the rule -- and then further saw that he had altered the innards of the tank to further skirt around the intention of the rule.  I check by following the racer to the fuel station and watch as the tank is filled.  For impound -- I don't work impound at SCTA/BNI events, so can't comment on how often it's done at one of those events, but I know that tanks at Maxton won't make it to imound if they're questionable -- because they'll have been checked during inspection.

If you feel the rule is stupid -- as usual, consider submitting a rule change form. 

Racer X -- as far as the way the word "tank" is shown as plural -- I will assume that the writer of the rule did not imply that multiple tanks would be installed, but rather used the plural to imply "tanks on all bikes" rather than the multiple tanks on one bike.  Here's a good instance where I'd buck up to a higher level of official for a ruling.

Is that a little more clear?  I sure hope so.  Busy day at the store -- that's my story. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
  I don't care if they check the capacity or not.I want to make sure I follow all the rules .I don't even want to bend the rules.That is not what I was implying with the emphasis on the S .I was just pointing it out .

I just want to go fast.    And do it in the Modified category.

Offline joea

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
racerx, its easy and best to get confirmation from
scta tech.....

my opinion is that you are carrying or have the capacity to carry more than 1.32 gallons of
fuel.......no matter how many reserviors......so ok for modified.....:)

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »

edit....

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:45:06 PM by joea »

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
I would like to be legal everywhere .But I am mainly concerned with ECTA rules .

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
Just curious, you mentioned only doing the shot in 6th with the 118 and that the bike wouldn't run very well on the 118 alone, thus the desire to carry two fuels.  Are you planning to switchover tanks during a run or is the low octane just for use while heading to staging?

I am going nuts trying to think of a way you could safely switch supplies on the fly so I am guessing this may be a way to make runs with and without nitrous that doesn't require swapping or draining the tank.   :roll:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:04:05 PM by MiltonP »