Author Topic: Step Pan Questions/Help  (Read 14091 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Step Pan Questions/Help
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
See reply #22, 25 and 27.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
DW,,, I got it loud and clear now...

Hope to have it mocked up by Friday morning and finshed by Friday after lunch.

Just picked up a box of  1/4 20  SS Button Heads to hold step pan to frame rails and crossmembers.. Dont want it to bow, flex or rattle...  oh yeah, have to drill and mount the roof rails too,,, I hope counter sunk SS 10/32's are good enough? was going to use rivets,, but decided wanted to be able to remove them too...

Thanks again everyone for your comments and help.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »
Screws are OK. Think maintenance when attaching the step pan.. It may have to come off for trans service, etc.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
I yield to DW on writing the rule. It was there when I started in 1974. At the time it had to be flush with the bottom frame rail. So many had a hard time doing that it was finally allowed to attach to the bottom of it. It still could not be wider than the rails (still is) so building a car where the rails were narrower than the body became a challenge (mine fits here).

The 2 biggest item I had influance on were the 45 degree angle and the "box" surrounding a transmission which was lower than the bottom of the frame rails. No matter how hard I tried (and I still have all of them) building a cutout around a trans always left air (fire) flow from under the car out the cockpit area of a roadster with a windscreen. Fast Freddie helpd me get that "defined" box past thru the Board.

When I started many roadsters were open to the ground at that 10" line. There was no defined way to get to the top rail and make the rest of the covering a defined floorboard. I wanted to seal mine up and a 90 degree verticle panel from the end of the step pan gave an additional harsh vacuum spot so more air (fire) came up from the bottom of the car. The board went along with this change too.

The step pan was definately not written by me; but having a hand in making it better is a compliment. I have looked at many of them and some could be construde as questionable. I believe floorboards are more of a problem.
As a side note I have never looked under a car that has broken one of my records. If there is a problem with one I feel the men certifying the record will find it.....Good Luck...

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »
Thats what I was referring to JD.

Your refined the rule to where it is now.

As a side note, 4 barrel Mike sent me a reworded section, makes it more understandable. I will be showing the rewrite to the board for the 2011 rulebook.

You look at this rulebook so many times you miss stuff. I know what I mean when I write it, sometimes it does not come out how I mean.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »
dan  did you hear from mike ----curios to see what he said                                      willie buchta

Offline dw230

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
Mang is still confused. He sent me two drawings, A & B, similar to the original ones Charles posted. I told him A was the one, pan stops 10" in front of rear axle centerline regardless of whare the frame kickup starts.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »
i received a letter from mike he said that A in charles and my drawing ( which is probably the one he sent dw--  blue step pan )  is the right one ---if mike and 1/2 the people on this site can be confused then the rule should be rewritten and mike said that it would be----the part of the step pan that bends up at a 45 degree angle (or more ) is exempt from the 10 inch rule  ----hope i was of some help and didnt add to the confusion                                     willie buchta

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »
Willie,, your help with Mang served a greater good.. It pointed out that the "wording"  could and was a bit confussing.   I thought "A"  was the answer all along,,, but sure as heck did not want to go with it as I had a shadow of doubt, as did many others.

I hope that this pointed out the need for some wording changes.

Thanks again.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com