Author Topic: BREAKER 19, DO YOU COPY?  (Read 5013 times)

Offline FADED

BREAKER 19, DO YOU COPY?
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »
I'm going to be purchasing a CB for my tow rig. Before I do this I want to know what I need? Just a standard Radio Shack $49.00 special or do I need FM frequency? Any input or deals where to go would be appreciated. Thanks, Lance

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: BREAKER 19, DO YOU COPY?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
just a 40 channel cb and an antenna. wal mart radios are $34.95.

do not buy portable hand held unit.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
The usual communication channel is #1, with #10 being the stand-by in case 1 gets loaded with traffic from passing motorists (including truckers).  The switch is announced by the tower when it's made, and if nothing else -- when you haven't heard anything on the CB for a while - it's time to go to 10 and see if the tower is up there.

There is an official set of FM channels, but they're just that - for the officials so they can have unobstructed communications during the event.  If you have a scanner you can listen -- but I don't know whether they're on VHF or UHF, so beware of getting the wrong one just for the sake of being nosy.

Also -- when you get your CB - get one that makes the full legal power (I think it's 4 watts output).  Again, don't get a handheld -- it won't work as well as you'll want, and won't pass tech if you're calling it your vehicular CB.  And when you buy the CB - get the best antenna that'll work for your situation.  Longer is almost always better.  A magnet mount unit is okay for the roof of the vehicle, but a drill-a-hole-in-the-roof is a little bit better -- even if it does require forever scarring the roof of your rig.

Ask more questions if you'd like 'em answered.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
Ask more questions if you'd like 'em answered.

Before you ask more questions read this thread. Then do a search for CB Radios here. There a number of other threads.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4554.0.html
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline FADED

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
COOL THANKS GUYS, DEAN-SORRY, WALL MART HERE I COME!!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
Build your CB into your push-bar, make the cables long enough to reach inside your vehicle with the bar installed, mount an external speak there as well. Use quick connects to power it so that you can install the whole unit in a few seconds. Mount the antenna in the center of your push bar, it will give good reference as to where center is when looking out the front of the push truck and lining up the vehicles.

While you are at it, install 12v power to the push bar and hard-wire a set of jumper cables to it, make them long enough to reach your vehicle's battery terminals. Never know when you will need a quick jump.

Install an additional fire extinguisher on your push bar, really convenient and easy to get to should it be needed.

Last, put a nice box with a lid to drop you line supplies into, make sure it closes tightly so that things don't blow out (Misc tools, remove before flight tags and such).

If there is any room left over, install a cooler too, it is nice to have a cold beverage handy when waiting in line  8-) 
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline FADED

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »
THANKS BBARN, but its a bike that will probly be thrown in the back of the truck. As far as the CB I want one that just plugs into the cig lighter with a magnetic antenna.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
BUY a Cobra at the truck stop. You need to be able to talk to the timing trailer. This is the only line of communications on the salt. Like others have said hand helds don't work very well. If we are talking to you and you can't get back because of a cheap CB we have to hold up the meet until a rover can locate you and let you know why we need to be able to take. As the salt is a very large are and you don't know that there was a problem with the vehicle we need to let you know. Besides you get to listen to my pleasant voice all day.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mkilger

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
I was told on Sat that someone will be in fact checking cb's in push trucks in tech line at speed week. 10-4

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
hand helds don't work very well

El Mirage no longer allows hand helds. Bonneville too?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »
I don't remember a time (at least in the past five years) when CBs mounted in the truck were not checked at SpeedWeek and WF.  Usually not just to see if it's there, but also the inspector wants to hear sound coming out of it - and might even ask me to transmit for a moment to make sure it gets out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com