Author Topic: lug nuts on aluminum wheels  (Read 6935 times)

D400

lug nuts on aluminum wheels
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
I am building a Dodge 400 to run in F/Pro.  I have read the rule book several times but lug nuts on aluminum wheels seems unclear to me.  I will be running factory aluminum wheels which have tappered lug nuts so is this useable this way or do I have to reconfigure the wheel to run lug nuts with steel washers under them?  I am a newbie at this and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: lug nuts on aluminum wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »
You are at the very least going to have to get 1" lug nuts.  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »
How about a picture of the wheel and lug nuts.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
is it a race car or a street car? if its a race care start thinking of it as one..... you probably wont go over 175mph and would probably be ok but what is your safety worth? start thinking of it as a race car and treat it as such.... ditch the stock wheels that are probably not safe, put good race wheels and lsr tires on it.... if you feel you must run the stockers put bigger longer lugs and a big steel back up flange on it.... don't think of the rules as a minimum requirement....
Kent

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »
You are ok to run to 150 mph at Maxton. Over that speed, order a set of 1 inch tapered nuts from www.aa-mfg.com. They also make hundreds of tabs and brackets for race car fabrication.

Joe Timney
President
ECTA
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
I share your confusion... but this is what i was able to discover.
I could find plenty of suppliers of 1 inch nuts...but they are 45deg taper and  stock wheels use 60deg holes.
I do not feel comfortable mixing the two. I could not find any 1in nuts with 60deg, let me know if you do.
 so for me its steel wheels or "1/4 in thick steel retaining plates" (haven't discovered what that means yet)
"large OD heavy gauge individual washers" i don't think apply to taper style holes but I'm not sure about that.

Fred
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »
Fred;

Mixing 60 degree and 45 degree lug nuts & wheels is NOT a safe thing to do.

Joe;

Speedway Motors is also a source for 1" lug nuts.

D400;

You might consider replacing your wheel studs with 5/8" studs. That way you can use inexpensive stock car wheels.

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
Call Joe Panek at Roto-faze  310-325-8844.  He is a landspeed racer and will make any size lug nut you want. That's one of his specialties. Fair prices as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
You are ok to run to 150 mph at Maxton. Over that speed, order a set of 1 inch tapered nuts from www.aa-mfg.com. They also make hundreds of tabs and brackets for race car fabrication.

Joe Timney
President
ECTA

If IIRC the engines that were available for a Dodge 400 and since you are running in F/PRO; I would venture to guess that you more than likely will run 150 or less.  So listen to Joe.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:57:10 PM by RansomT »

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »
I am almost afraid to post this after my last thrashing, on a post over wheels.  I had the same problem, but my wheels were the Summit racing wheels, they have a sixty degree conical taper.  I found 1" lug nuts that had the 60 degree taper.  But the wheels have a 1/4" well that swallow the hex part to the point that an impact socket becomes disingauged before proper torque and seating.  I found large sixty degree 1/4" washers, I seat down the factory recommended sixty degree tapered bulge nuts then remove them one at a time while I install and torque the 1" nuts and washers.  This got me through tech last year, and feels stable and safe.  I run at Bonneville, there was a lakester there at tech with exactly the same wheels using the factory recommended lug nuts, they gave him a hard time but let him run, he still lives to race again.

Steve         
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT