Author Topic: blown 653cc in RWB?  (Read 7402 times)

Offline blackdog

• New folks
blown 653cc in RWB?
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
hello to the all the bub folks.

A Friend called me to see if I was interested in a Yamaha xj650.

"Naw... I don't need another project."

"but it's got a *TURBO*"

"and  it's *FREE*"

pick up the SCTA rule book from 2007 and hey no record for 650 production blower! wooo hooo!

Fast forward 6 months and.....
Rude Awakening #1, it's not a 650, it's 653cc now in the 750 class, where there is a record run over 200mph.
RA #2. the tires must have a speed rating for the record in your class.
RA #3. The only speed rated tires that will fit the rims are too wide for the rims and to fit between the forks and swing arm.

The top speed for this bike (with the shaft drive gearing) should be 121-127mph. the tires on it are good for 130.
Now I've given up on setting a record, but after the time and money, I just want to run.

I've looked through the "Run What-cha Brung" regs on this site, and the AMA regs.
Do I understand that if the bike passes technical inspection, I don't have to "class" the entry?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: blown 653cc in RWB?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
I have a Yamaha XJ650 too. They are great reliable bikes and part of the short-lived production Japanese turbo bikes of the early '80s. Run Whatcha Brung at BUB is just for fun only and there are no classes because you are not going for a record. You just need to pass scrutineering and pay the fee. You will get an official timing slip though.
BUT you can enter the bike at BUB in the competition side as a 750 P-PB. That record is open. Go for it.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline blackdog

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
Don,
this is too good.
the records are not the same for SCTA?
do I join AMA first?

The bike looks like a fun bike for the street, although My habits are more of the duel-sport (Transalp), touring-cruiser type(gl1500).
but after sitting out under a tarp for ten years, not likely to see the street again.

I am also in the Seattle area. (north beach) where do you do speed testing at?

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
Bonneville                                                                                         willie buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
No, the records for SCTA/USFRA and AMA/Bub's are in no way related, and yes, you must join the AMA to be allowed to run at Bub's.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09:23 PM »
Speed testing? What speed testing? You just build the machine to the rules and cross your fingers whatever you did made it go fast.
But at BUB, the WWYB line is shorter, so if you want to pay that fee too, you can get in some test runs. About the max runs per day in the competition line is two and maybe NONE.
Just make sure you read the rules and modify your bike to pass tech.
Don

Offline blackdog

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
well, the AMA it is.

Thanks for the input, I can read the rule book five times and not get the details.

HI HO

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Cool. You sound inspired again!

Do you have the body work for it? Or will you run it naked this year?
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
You should be able to find tires,I did for my sons bike back in 2006,ran a  Turbo Seca at SCTA event. Good fun.Plugged line to wastegate so it made 15 psi,made a shorty exhaust so no muffler,IRC he went 127/128
Last couple years Bubs lines have been extremely short, we were getting multiple runs every day.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline blackdog

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »

Cool. You sound inspired again!

I always intended to find out how fast this basket case could go, even if it meant sticking a gps on it and running down the street in front of my house.
but.....
the donor/sponsor wanted to go to the salt as a participant (not a spectator)

Do you have the body work for it? Or will you run it naked this year?

I'll use the bodywork even though it might be designed more to keep the mud off polyester on the way to the disco than for max speed.
Without the fairing the computer/gauge cluster is so big it might count as streamlining.

firemanjim..... Ive got tires for the speed the bike can go,(130) but will they let me run in a class that has a higher record (200+)?
on mine the wastegate muffler rusted off so I made a vented plug. Is the popoff valve enough to keep it from going postal?

Do you guys do both events?

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
Pretty sure I found V rated,and you could shave those.
Sorry about the 200+ records--those would be mine and my partners. LOL.
Thinking of Bubs and WOS this year with our 750.
You can always do RWYB or 130 club.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:37 AM »
Dog, jet your bike on a dyno in Seattle running on a good grade of premium gas without ethanol.  Use ERC 110K at Bonneville.  Your jetting should be close and you will not need to test ride it at full speed on the street.  It would be a good idea to take a plug reading at B-ville to make sure everything is OK.

Go for the open record.  These records do not stay open for long. 

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
The BUB rules do not specify any particular tire rating. It just says it is up to the rider to determine if their tires are safe. So for the 120-130 mph your bike will go, I would not worry too much about a speed rating or shaving them. Just get new or used, recently manufactured, good condition stock sized and rated tires and you will be good.
Don

Offline blackdog

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
firemanjim..... I don't think your sorry at all (HA HA)

wobbly........thanks for the tip on not using ethanol, what happens if you do?
On my last trip to the salt, my 250 that tested out to 80+ at sea level only hit 64.338 at Bonneville, hope the turbo will handle the altitude difference.

Don....tire shaving is new to me; who shaves them?
why does a shaved tire handle speed better?
The tires I have are new, better to shave them anyway?

Offline donpearsall

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »
The benefit of shaved tires is so that the profile can have better traction on the salt surface. Additionally the less rubber on the tire the less likely it is that the tread will peel off. Shaving is only is good for real high speed bikes. At about 180 mph tires start slipping because the drag exceeds the traction. So the lower speeds don't need any special conditioning.
One season I thought I was really smart and brought a Shinko utra soft drag race tire to Bonneville. It lasted about 3 miles and was shredded. The heat and friction of slipping on the salt just ate it. The carcass held air, but the tread was hanging off in big shredded chunks. Live and learn.
Don