Author Topic: New helmet for an enclosed car helmet  (Read 5724 times)

Offline biglady112

New helmet for an enclosed car helmet
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »
Well somehow I started thinking about my helmet today. Up until today I did not know any better. But my helmet has a Snell M2005 rating. My local speed shop was not smart enough to hand me or recommend me an automotive helmet. Well that just makes everything all better. My local NHRA track has never said anything about the helmet. But well, now I know the M stands for motorcycle. I know the NHRA says the helmet is good until 2017, but I am sure the SCTA has other ideas on the matter. I only have a 2006 rule book at the house, and have access to a 2009. I know I should get a 2010, but I am just lazy I guess.

I guess my question is what snell rating to I need to last me a while? I understand the helmets come with a 10 year rating. The car I will be running is a G/BFCC car.

Should I be looking at a Snell SA2010?

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: New helmet for an enclosed car helmet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
Yes, it'd be the right one for you -- the SA, that is.  SA2005 have been available for five years, SA2010 is just out this year -- maybe not 'til later this year, in fact.  Current SCTA rules allow helmets to be used up to ten years after the Snell date (which is printed on a rotogravure sticker usually very difficult to find under the headliner inside the helmet -- NOT on the outside of the shell).

Your M2005 is good for another five years -- on a motorcycle rider's head.  You'll be wise to check to see if it might be allowed in your class -- but I doubt it very much.  You'd then want to get the SA2010.  Make sure when you buy it that YOU SEE THE SNELL 2010 sticker yourself -- don't take the vendor's word for it -- see it, just as the inspector will insist when you're in tech.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »
The helmet issue has been discussed many times on this site.You can do a search in the archives or go to the www.scta-bni.org web site and click on the rules section. That way you would have the latest since you haven't sprung $10.00 for a current rule book.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:04:20 PM »
biglady---nhra requires for a car running between 13.99 to 10.00 open or full helmet---m2000, m2005, m2010, k2005, sa2000, sa2005, sfi 31.1a, 31.1/2005, 31.2a, 41.1/205or 41.2a,  with or without a shield------scta requires an m for motorcycles and a sa for cars and motorcycle streamliners and motorcycle sidecar streamliners--full helmet with shield---for the 2010 race season you will need a sa 2000 ,sa2005 or sa 2010 if you can find one before november --for the 2011 race season the sa2000 will be no good   willie buchta

Offline biglady112

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »
It is not a big deal. Just sucks to have to buy one so soon. Looking at the date it is five years old. I don't remember having it more than three years or so.I did not know what the sa, m and ka stood for when I bought it. Oh well. It is iin great shape and I habe not wore it very much. Its still brand new and does not have any smells or stains. I will just put it up for sale
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
Big...The SCTA allowed "M" helmets in cars for years but it was changed in the 2010 rule book to SA for all cars.(pg.23, 3.A.2.) If you can wait for the Snell 2010SA tag it will be good thru 2021.

Right after the new spec comes out, which is every 5 years, helmets with the previous date come down in price. Everyone needing a helmet should look very carefully on what is being advertised. A Snell 2005SA will be good thru 2016. I bought mine in February of 2006. I try to get a full 10 years out a of a helmet.

They are always kept in the bag in the original box and look new at the end of 10 years....Just swap meet stuff then...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline biglady112

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
I am confident I can sell it with no issues. It is a G-Force helmet.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
They are always kept in the bag in the original box and look new at the end of 10 years   :-o ....Just swap meet stuff then...Good Luck

JD  mine looks 10 years old after the first meet from rubbing against the cage getting in and out :-(
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »
I've got to say that I have second thoughts when it comes to selling an old helmet.  Really -- if it is old and not acceptable to the sanctioning organization (and therefore not safe enough for me to wear) -- do I really think I ought to sell it to some unsuspecting person who doesn't know any better, uses it and then crashes -- and maybe is injured worse than he'd otherwise be because my old helmet wasn't good enough?

I've got a collection of old helmets in the basement.  I sold one one time, years ago -- can't bring myself to do it again. 

As for keeping them looking pristine -- I don't know how you guys do it.  My helmets inevitably throw themselves on the ground, no matter how carefully I place them on a safe surface, and get a little dent here, and tiny scratch there.  And we won't talk about what happens when you blow through a mile marker at two bills, okay  :roll:?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
As I think has been said, the new cert helmets usually come out towards the end of the year. Bell has their 2010 M helmets out now, so you might check and see if their SA 2010 helmets are available yet. Just a thought.

Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline biglady112

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
As far as that goes Jon, I literally have only used my helmet a handful of times since I have had it. It has lived its whole life in a bag. Even while using it. I think I have worn it maybe five times.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
One can always go to the Snell Foundation site and see what helmet manufacturers have received approval for 2010.  This, of course, doesn't mean the 2010 helmets are for sale - but at least you'll know that they can be when the day comes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
good info here             http://www.smf.org/                              willie buchta

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
Jon. When I sell them I tell the buyer why it is for sale and it's exact age. I'm sure some of them have just moved down to another table and the price raised. I still use my 1995M open face and 2000M full face when riding my M/C's; once again in and out of the box when in use.

Sparky...you should be more careful (or not so p----d off when you get in ans out of your car) :-D...................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »
The foundation's testing criteria for 2005 and 2010 standards are somewhat different. In some cases (depending on the size of your head) the 2005 standard maybe as good as the 2010. 
This doesn't change the necessity of compliance with SCTA rules but if you can find, and read, the correct Snell Testing Summary you may feel comfortable in keeping your 2005 M or SA cert helmet until the date they're ruled out of complance by SCTA.

Since the M2005 (or M2010) is the base standard for all Snell testing why couldn't you use a SA cert (thicker shell and some flame resistance material and paint) helmet for motorcycles?

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."