Author Topic: A few Questions about Classes  (Read 4749 times)

Offline MiltonP

A few Questions about Classes
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
I was looking at what setup I need to make to run at BUB in various classes versus Maxton and think I have it figured out.  Let me know if I am wrong on these assumptions.

Internal changes to stock mufflers disqualify a chassis from P class.  Does not take you out of P engine class though.  Also looks like airbox changes apply to chassis class versus engine class.

Machine work on the head and cams, jetting, etc... is allowed in the P Engine class but changes to non-stock heads, jugs, and carbs,  put you in AG or AF.  Assuming piston and valve changes are legal in P though.

For P chassis... easy to change on-site, but not clear on mirrors and signals on stalks attached to fairings.  Also not sure about the Woodcraft clip-ons for my EX500 but I believe they mount to factory attachment points so legal.  This is all for next year and hopefully watching tech this year will get me straight across the board, if possible!
   :cheers:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: A few Questions about Classes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »
Production class is a married couple. No divorce allowed between engine and frame. Any modification that is not allowed takes you out of production class.

You can think of this class as "stock appearing". If you can't see it, it is ok to modify. For AMA (BUB) the airbox and exhaust can't be modified. Not sure about ECTA.

The Woodcraft clip-ons had to be sold with the bike as factory stock, and you better have a picture in a brochure. The inspectors have been through this enough to not allow anything that might give you an aero advantage.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »
Production class is a married couple. No divorce allowed between engine and frame. Any modification that is not allowed takes you out of production class.

This is true for SCTA, and the most logical approach in my thinking, but not true for AMA/BUB. They have after a quick look some M-P records as well as MPS-P records. I remember coming across this last year and thinking, that's not a class, but sure enough it is at BUB. :?
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
You really should read the AMA rule book for Bubs as it can be very confusing as far as the half and half stuff goes.

As for exhaust, it has to appear stock.  That means stock can with the outlet in stock location. That means you can modify it internally like remove baffles or exhaust packing.  That is allowed. But no aftermarket cans allowed nor clip-ons, rearsets, etc. from aftermarket manufacrurers.  You can change handlebars however. It is confusing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:06:14 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
In that past Bubs was doing the half production half modified thing but they are no longer allowing that.  it is either production or modified. None of the half and half stuff.

Dan, I think it's screwy but their P engine rules say the P engine can't run in A or S class but nothing about M. Where did you see that?

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
Larry,
I changed my post as you are correct as to what the rule book says but in my coversations with Delvene I do not think you are going to be able to mix production and modifed engines and frames together this year.  It is either all production or all modified. if you really read the rules there are different production engine classifications and that is what they mean by engine designations. i could be wrong but if somebody is thinking about trying to do production/modifed they definately should call Bubs ahead of time to get better clarification.

I believe this started at least years meet but since we have never entered a production class I definately could be wrong.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:17:57 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
I think spending some extra time hanging around tech will definitely be a benefit after reading the responses!   :-D

Is there a BUB rulebook aside from the BUB/AMA 2009 combo at the link from the BUB homepage?  I didn't see a reference to stock appearing just stock and also only noted the various P-M and P-A combos in records versus any wording on what is allowed to run.  To be fair the ECTA handbook also doesn't mention allowing clip-ons specifically but says 'any shape handlebars' within some specs.  I think I will sit my woodcrafts aside before I end up illegal for production there as well.  It would be nice if the rulebooks straight out that internal exhaust can mods are allowed as long as the can's exterior and rear opening remain stock.  That seems fair considering the internal engine work is allowed and going to net a lot more power.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
My son has an AMA record with in MPS-P on his Honda and I have two on my Triumph.  It has been a legitimate combination for a number of years.  Nothing in this year's BUB rule book says you cannot run MPS-P.  APS-P is not allowed.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Bring out your dead!

Old thread but still has relevent info.  Last five years we have "run whatca brung" and now has class entry questions.

Frame-modified, replaced complete front end with late model, relocate foot pegs.

Engine- removed emissions equip., rejet with full race exhaust,stock internals. 1089 cc so gets bumped up to 1350cc class

So question is: I run in M-PG 1350 ? 
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
what kind of motorcycle is it?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
Mid 80`s Kawasaki 1100. Drew has informed me it will be in the 1350 M-AG class.

Appreciate the help gentlemen, hope you all find a case of titanium fasteners at a garage sale for $1.00.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.