Author Topic: Australia Trip Adventure Updates  (Read 16841 times)

landracing

Australia Trip Adventure Updates
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:24:29 PM »
List,

As you know there are a few motorcycle members traveling to Australia in March to race with the DLRA under FIM sanctioning. Mike Akitiff is putting this together for all of us to race there. I decided I am going to start to keep a journal here to show what is going on from the Team Amo stand point of the process of getting there while we are there and the return home. The topic will not be one you will be able to post in but more for information on what we are doing.

Jonathan Amo

landracing

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:44:12 PM »
Ok obviously we have some type of timelines and objectives and dates to hit to make this happen.

We are trying to stay in touch with Mike as much as possible to see progress and keep us up to date and make sure we are getting things done. This is just a partial list....

1. Joe has to complete the bike, new turbo installed, get it crated to California to make the container.
2. We need to get passports.
3. We need to figure travel to and from the salt
4. We need Ice problem figured out for intercooler
5. Lodging
6. Food
7. Internet options for Landracing.com
8. Plane Tickets
9. Customs
10. Fuel for bike.

The list will go on and on im sure as the months progress.

But for part of the list here is where I am at.

No birth certificate found at home for passport. I got online and found the Vital Records website for Spokane Washington. I was born on Fairchild AFB in 1975. Ordered the certificate and got it next day air. Costs about $40. Now ill be making my way to post office to get passport papers completed.

Our Travel arrangements have been made by Gary Baker from Australia. Otherwise known as Hawkind on the board. He has arranged getting up to and from the salt with the bike.

Ice problem is up in the air as far as we know.

Airline tickets are still up in the air. Airlines wont let us book a ticket until we are about 3 months out. So we are looking about Jan. before booking tickets. Mike might be able to get us a group rate from LA.

Joe has completed the bike and it has been run on the Dyno. We need now to make sure the engine will measure legal for FIM rules. Which is 1000cc and under. BNI events let us have a .010 additional for cleaning up stock cylinders. Stock bike is 998cc... Joe is also getting a spare motor together for "just in case"

The plan for running there is still under "brother" debate. He want's to go all out. I say make two check out passes and get a DLRA record in gas class. Then let little brother get on it for a DLRA record in the fuel class, just enough to get in the DLRA 200 mph club. Then turn up the boost and step on it for some FIM records.

The internet issue for Landracing.com to report while I am there on the daily activites is getting close. I have to send a few emails out to clarify on the wording. Looks like a satellite connection good for about 115 KB sec transfer rate. This is much faster then the data I have been transfering at Bonneville with a 30-40 kB connection speed on my wireless card.  Satellite works anywhere you can see the sky, the wireless card is sketchy at best on the salt, I have to move around alot to get best possible connection.... im all over it.... They charge by the MB. pretty costly. The figure I am using for transfer while I am there is about 3-4 MB a day. That would include 40 pictures a day at 50 kb each, plus emails (3-10 kb each), transfer of website information (300-500 kb) a day, and need to be available for other americans and aussies who would like to email home while we are there (500kb) a day. I think 3-4 MB a day would be a good estimate. The equipment can be rented fairly cheap  for a 1 month interval.  I am thinking totol costs of $750-$900 for the service.....

Fuel for bike has been taken care of by Mike already. We will have 15 gallons of ERC A8C taken with us.  This lets us use an already known fuel we have been using for years past. And not have to pay the high costs of Aussie fuels...

Thats it for now.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 02:34:41 AM »
See you there little "A"

We are working on getting a new bike ready for OZ

J

Anonymous

avagoodweekend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:20:03 AM »
:D  :D counting the days  :D  :D

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:27 PM »
So what is the word on shipping gasoline and nitrous--will they let you?
What sort of customs hoops will there be?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline gazza414

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »
Any update guys?
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

landracing

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:57:50 AM »
Here is the update from Joe and I,

Our bike is still going thru the once, twice and third look over. Connections are being replaced, fittings replaced, electrical connections tested and cleaned and redone etc etc. Second motor going together.

Joe and I have both went to the post offices and applied for our Passports. Hope Joe gets the bike shipped and then doesnt get a passport... More run time for me on bike... Just joking.

We both got the same response from our local post offices. About 6 weeks to get the passports.

As for fuel, we will be shipping fuel to Australia via container. Will be using Rick's ERC fuel.

The internet connection has been verified and taken care of. It is of the Satellite type. As long as I can see the sky there will be internet. It is a small unit (4 lbs) that will locate a statellite and acquire a signal. It takes approx 3 to 5 minutes to acquire then we will have a connection. This is then connected to laptop via ethernet or USB cable with a trasfer rate of approx 144 kb's per second. Enough to transfer photos and regular updates and answer emails. The price per MB transfered that is both upload and download is about $16/mb. THe rental on the unit is pretty inexpensive at about $200 for a month. Very pricy but it is our only option.

Jon

Offline gazza414

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 02:42:30 PM »
Hope to see you guys over here

Very much the apprentice

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 06:28:23 PM »
Jon, we havent met, I am new to the site. Joe knows me from up here in Rapid City. He told me about the trip a few eweks back.

I wanna wish both of you guys best of luck. If there is anything I can do to help on this end give me a call Joe!

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »
Well,I have the wife's blessing for the Australian Adventure.Have a Ford F-250 and a couple of my Ozzie friends lined up to pit.Passport app filled out and put in for the time off of work.Should be an adventure of a lifetime.Big thanks to the Ack Attack gang for making this possible.
A couple of things I was reminded of by those same friends--in the itinerary sent out by Ack gang they list drive to Port Augusta as 6 hours and they disagreed and said--"Jim read the lower info as well on this e-mail
Pt Agusta is not 6 hours from Adelaide its is only
290 km IE 3 hours, 6 hours drive from Adelaide puts you at the Salt lake
for your and others info.
regards
Paul"
and the other detail is Australian electricals are 220v based not 110v like US stuff so be aware.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 01:57:33 AM »
With that type of signature on your posts, maybe we should leave you behind.....

Just joking, look forward to it, but if it does rain......

Jon

Offline gazza414

Power
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
quote]and the other detail is Australian electricals are 220v based not 110v like US stuff so be aware.

Fireman, AUSTRALIAN single phase voltage is 240V and 50 Hertz, ( 3 phase is 415V ) whereas in the USA single phase is 110V and 60 Hertz.
hope this helps..... bring  your own generators if need be.
Very much the apprentice

Anonymous

australian adventure
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 09:29:13 AM »
50 hertz (cycles per second for old timers) means that you need to pay a little extra attention to powering your American electrical devices.  A transformer built for USA 60 Hertz won't work as well on 50.  Maybe what ever you try to power through a 60-cps transformer won't mind, maybe it won't work.  Check with your local know-it-all and be positive you're covered -- so you don't burn out your battery charger or Margarita blender motor.

landracing

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 11:30:29 AM »
Best thing is to read your electrical devices power adapters. For example my laptop will work from 100-240 Volts and 50-60 Hz...

Jon

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »
considering makign the trip.

should have my HDTV cameras by then. Will make for some good shooting.