Author Topic: mod- mini pickup engine setback  (Read 12762 times)

LittleLiner

Re: mod- mini pickup engine setback
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
. . . . I knew about the 2% of the wheelbase setback,but I didn't know where my starting point had to be. My truck was an I-4 so I measured where the front sparkplug was in relation to the line between the spindles and then measured the V8 and utilized the 2% setback the motor is still way to the front of the truck.. . . . . .I will just have to do some more measuring and thinking and planning.
Christy 
As I think you are now aware . . . the location of original engine's front spark plug has nothing to do with this.  You are strictly measuring from the spindles BACK to the first sparkplug on the engine you will be installing.  You can modify/move/replace the firewall if needed. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
Faded --

You're right (on the other thread) -- I'm confused.  I'm also confused why my computer won't let me reply on that thread.

¿¿¿Stan???
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
Who was the Jackson 5?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
A group of just under 6, but more than 4, fellows from the State Penitentiary at Jackson, Michigan, I think.  They were involved in a major scheme to break into a salt mine underneath Detroit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racergeo

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
  If I read another line I will die, from laughter!

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
SSS have you taken a personal tour or do you just watch the History Channel  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
I've spent time (as a visitor and public volunteer) in the Marquette Branch Prison -- one of the old-time prisons, but one that still holds some really naughty folks (you know, mother-rapers and nurse killers and such).  Never been to Jackson.  Marquette is enough.  When I was doing my community volunteer (not community service, thank you very much) I was inside the walls with guys that were short-timers -- would be getting out on parole within a year or less.  They were all pretty decent by the time I met them.

No, I don't watch the History Channel - or anything else, either.  Remember -- Nancy and I don't even have a television.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:49 PM »
touring the SALT MINE  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
Christy.....you can get alot of engine in the cab with you and still be well within the 2% engine setback rule. If you're using the long wheelbase S-10 it should be 123"WB or 2.46" behind the spindle centerline. Don't worry about the firewall, just cut a big hole and make it fit. If you're using a small block it might not be that big of hole I guess.  :?
Good luck
Curtis

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
Dmax, that is a good looking setup but the way I read the rulebook I have to use the stock frame, whereas it appears you have a tube frame with tubular upper "A" arms at least.I just want to make sure that I don't do something to stop me from passing tech,it is a long way from Va. to Bonneville to find out you can't pass.

Christy

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
The direction we received from the tech guys was that the stock frame must remain at the bottom of the firewall to the back of the cab. You can add too it but it must be there. Front clips and rear clips are allowed as long as the stock frame is present below the cab. On our truck we boxed in the rear frame to strengthen it and added a new front clip to allow the engine to fit.

Offline TNTHEMIENGINES

• New folks
  • 928-412-4049
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
Christy
I have been following all the comments about you interest in building a Modified Mini-Pickup. I have been running a Production Mini-Pickup for the past 8 years and we hold the record at 205 and change. I may be of some help with your questions. If you would like to talk, call me at 928-412-4049. Leave the endless chatter to those with nothing else to do with their time.
Tom

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
Tom, part of the raison d'ete of this site is to encourage "endless chatter" among the various members.  Please don't be scolding us. . .especially since that scolding is from someone that's using this site that's open to all racers -- to sell products that he sells for a living.

We encourage sales among racers -- but frown on ads from folks that aren't either helping out buddies -- or paying for advertising space.  Please keep all of this in mind when you're chastising any of us.

Jon --

Owner, landracing.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TNTHEMIENGINES

• New folks
  • 928-412-4049
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
Dear Jon
I find you response to my comments on Christy's honest question interesting. I appreciate you allowing myself and others to use this site. That said, I follow a lot of different blog's and find that a lot of the responses have nothing to do with the questions or statements. Take for example Christy's question on engine setback, how does "motorcycles, germans, Jackson 5, state penitentiary or history channel" in any way assist her in learning the rules or building her car?
I am a little confused by your comment that I am selling parts and advertising for free on your site. I do not go on this site to sell anything. Please direct me to the location where I have tried to sell parts to anyone. I will plead guilty to trying to help out a future racer to enjoy the thrill of LSR while making a few mistakes as possible.
If I am violating any of the rules of this site please feel free to remove me or punish me as you see fit.
Tom, aka TNTHEMIENGINES, I had to have a name and that is an easy one for me to remember.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
Tom:

Here are links to the two posts that turned on the "alarms" for me:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7842.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7843.0.html

They not only look quite a bit more "commercial" than most of the posts -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing here on the Forum -- but I looked around at other sites and found the identical posts on them, too -- further making me think that you might be motivated by more than just helping out other racers.

To that I also will comment that other members of the Forum commented about the fact that you apparently build and sell engines on the internet.  Again -- fine, I guess -- but when we see "for sale" posts that seem to be more than just a buddy trying to offer help -- we wonder if someone is trying to subvert the open nature of the site.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:53:10 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com