Author Topic: mod- mini pickup engine setback  (Read 12752 times)

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
mod- mini pickup engine setback
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:17 PM »
I am building a 1995 S15 ext. cab GMC pickup to run in mod-mini pickup with a "C" class V8. My problem is I don't know where to mount the engine in the engine bay because it never was offered with a V8. Is there a rule that covers this? Can I cut the original firewall and set the motor back? If so how much ? Can anyone enlighten me on this question ? Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated because I want to make sure it is correct to run at Bonneville, Maxton ,Loring ,Texas or any of the LSR venues.

Thanks,
           Christy

Offline jimmy six

Re: mod- mini pickup engine setback
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 02:27:19 AM »
This is just a sugggestion but according to the rulebook a modified pick-up page 70 denotes them a gas coupe. Following back to the modified catagory listed on page 63 gas coupes are production vehicles and engines must be in the stock location. There is no set backs in gas coupes as I understand.

Kits are available to put V8's in these pickups leaving the production firewall. Sometimes you need to move around in the book. The catagory section for each class gives important info........good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

saltfever

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »
Just to expand on what Jimmy said; the datum for engine location is the transverse centerline of the front spindles (pg. 42). The distance from that datum to the 1st sparkplug is what determines setback. If you locate the new motor the same distance as stock you will be OK. If stock was an I-4 and you are swapping a V-8 there is “sometimes” very little difference. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
Section 5.D.3 Gas Coupe

The engine may be set back a maximum of 2% of the wheelbase.

2% JD

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
hey thanks for the input, I knew about the 2% of the wheelbase setback,but I didn't know where my starting point had to be. My truck was an I-4 so I measured where the front sparkplug was in relation to the line between the spindles and then measured the V8 and utilized the 2% setback the motor is still way to the front of the truck.I have driven an S10 with a purchased V8 conversion kit and it was really frontend heavy,I don't know that I would want to run any extreme speeds with that setup.I guess if I go with the truck I could add weight to the rear to balance out the heavy front end, but that adds total weight to the truck and that limits the speed.I have not driven anything like a street vehicle at big speeds so I really don't know what to expect for handling problems.I will just have to do some more measuring and thinking and planning.

Christy

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Christy,

The first thing you need to do is throw out what you know about building a light race car. in building an LSR car, weight can be your friend. Some of the cars I saw last year had lead castings out of a valve cover for moving the CG around in the car - not just one or two, but fifteen or twenty! Adding weight to the rear to move the CG is not as bad of an idea as you think it is...from an LSR perspective.  You have to train your mind to stop thinking a light race car is needed to go fast.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
DW..I missed that.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
As you've been seeing, weight is probably a good thing in land speed racing.  It can aid in stability -- and also can add speed.  You gain traction without the need for a wing, for instance, to make downforce -- and also to make bad aero.

So for a specific example, even if it is on a bike -- my ZX12R nitrous bike was spinning the tire around 200.  I added 70# of lead to the swingarm -- and gained 7 mph.

Don't be afraid of weight, although you should be aware of what it'll do depending on where you put it.

Weight might not be as good at Maxton as it is at Bvile, because you've got good traction at Maxton - and only a mile to accelerate.  At Bonneville you've got at least two miles before you even get into the lights.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
One mile on the short course, Slim.  Good for the 50cc Pushrod Sidecars.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »
Yes, Stan, I know that.  But to the guy building a C mini pickup -- I didn't think the one-mile timed portion was germane to the discussion.  I was trying to reduce his potential for confusion.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
Germans ?

Now SSS  LOL   :cheers: :cheers:
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
Gee-zul-man, do I have to teach youse guys everything?

Main Entry: ger·mane
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)jər-ˈmān\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English germain, literally, having the same parents, from Anglo-French
Date: 14th century

1 obsolete : closely akin
2 : being at once relevant and appropriate : fitting <omit details that are not germane to the discussion>
synonyms see relevant

— ger·mane·ly adverb
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
That "new" 1st mile is good for licensing, too.  Something a rookie might want to know.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline bbarn

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
Gee-zul-man, do I have to teach youse guys everything?

Main Entry: ger·mane
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)jər-ˈmān\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English germain, literally, having the same parents, from Anglo-French
Date: 14th century

1 obsolete : closely akin
2 : being at once relevant and appropriate : fitting <omit details that are not germane to the discussion>
synonyms see relevant

— ger·mane·ly adverb

Germain, yea I remember him! He was part of the Jackson Five, wasn't he Michael's brother or something?   :-D
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
Come on, fellas -- give me a break.  I'm just trying to help (?).  And I wasn't all that pop music oriented during the Jackson Five era -- so don't know for sure, but I THINK you're right about Germane.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com