Author Topic: Tires?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline manifest

Tires?
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
I know there are alot of tire related discussions on here but this one is to the point.  Are the M/T frontrunners legal to run at Bonneville?  M/T offers the size I need for the front where Goodyear does not as far as I know.  Not going to be running anywhere near 200 (record is 156.??).  Just a matter of size and appearance.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Tires?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
Yes you can run them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »
M/T offers the size I need for the front where Goodyear does not as far as I know.

What diameter are you looking for? Goodyear makes them in 23", 24", 25", 26", 27", & 28" diameters. M&H makes a 22" for the front.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:35:32 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
And what kind of car are you using them on?  There might be better choices for you if you give us some more information.

Stan

(My tire change (only) put me in the Two Club.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
is that before or after the "spin" :-P

Offline manifest

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
Running a 4" wide wheel in the front.  Many of the small dia. Goodyears are recommended for wheels a bit wider so I wasn't sure about running them on a narrow wheel.  Car is a '74 VW Karmann Ghia.  Plan to run G/PRO.  Cosworth Vega set the record at SW'09 if I remember correctly.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »
Running a 4" wide wheel in the front.  Many of the small dia. Goodyears are recommended for wheels a bit wider so I wasn't sure about running them on a narrow wheel.  Car is a '74 VW Karmann Ghia.  Plan to run G/PRO.  Cosworth Vega set the record at SW'09 if I remember correctly.
According to Goodyear Racing Tires web site 23 x 15 drag front runners (which I happen to have a pair for sale) are recommended for 4" rims and the land speed tires are recommended for 4.5" rims.
http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/drag_front_runner.pdf
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
We switched from the Goodyears to the 22" M&H's and lost some frontal area with our open-wheeled car plus found them to steer better than the Goodyears.

Stan

(One run with a posi = One and only (so far) spin.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manifest

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »
Thundersalt, May be interested in the 23s you have. I'll have to check the funds.  Thanks for the Goodyear chart also.

Stan, steer better?  Just because its open wheeled and tires had less frontal area they seemed to act less like a rudder?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
I don't think that's why.  The Goodyears, with a pavement tread pattern, always felt like they were "skating" more.  The M&H's, with the ridges(?), seemed more stable.  Your results may vary.

Stan

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
Stan....get back to your remodel job. You haven't finished painting yet.

The reason I know that is......as long as u live there u will always have a Honey, Do It list.

It will include painting.  Sorta like the Golden Gate Bridge. The job is NEVER done.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Didn't take you long to size that up.  And I'm slowing down, so I don't know if I'll ever be through.  The next owners will really like the place -- if the paint hides the termites.

Stan

Offline hitz

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
re: 22" M&H tires
I haven't heard anything bad about the M&H tires. I run them on the front of the #72 lakester (no very fast yet). Nate Jones has done his magic on them. Shave, round and balance. I run them on space saver wheels that are not perfectly round, .040" side to side, .020" radially. The wheels are 4" wide and 4"+ offset. I bought about 8 wheels to get 4 that were fairly straight. The old space saver tires were the same size as the M&H tires (exactly the same size) the build marks were the same on the inside of most of them and they all   weighed the same. Interesting to me. I threw them away. I feel better running the M&H's than the Goodyear because several people told me they have run them both and felt that the Goodyear Frontrunners had more "squirm " to them. When I get to 250 mph  :roll: I'll rethink on the front tires.

Harvey

saltfever

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
edit . . .   Not going to be running anywhere near 200 (record is 156.??).  Just a matter of size and appearance.
Since record is less than 200 you can legally and safely run any VR or ZR rated tire. That should give you a lot more choice than sticking to an LSR tire. Or are they all too wide for you?

Offline Derek Mitchell

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
Might as well jump in here.

I just saw on the Mickey T website that there ET fronts tires are "† Not Acceptable for Land Speed Record Use."

I am interested in putting a car together for a production class and wondering what tires are legal other than the Goodyear landspeed ones.

Any suggestions?
I don't have anything cool to say.