Author Topic: Wheel Slip Indicator?  (Read 18687 times)

Offline entropy

Re: Wheel Slip Indicator?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
Don,
yr slipometer is a VERY cool little gadget!  You must have had fun building it, yup!

I am a (ex)bike guy and I agree when hunched over at speed I can't focus on little displays, just glances at AF maybe.

Yr box is kind of what i thinking about, but all I want is the row of LED's.
Did you have it set up so that all the greens then all the yellow, then all the reds, or was it progresssive one by one?
Karl

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:46 AM »
Karl,
The LEDs were progressive, one by one.
The LEDs were set so that the colors lit up depending on the severity of the slipping. For instance by using the menu system you could set the parameters of the green set to be from 1-10% slip. So at 2% slip the first LED would light, then the second at 4%, the third at 6%, etc. Then you could set the parameters of the yellow set to be 11-20%, and the red set to be 21-30%. Etc, etc.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline entropy

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »
Karl,
The LEDs were progressive, one by one.
The LEDs were set so that the colors lit up depending on the severity of the slipping. For instance by using the menu system you could set the parameters of the green set to be from 1-10% slip. So at 2% slip the first LED would light, then the second at 4%, the third at 6%, etc. Then you could set the parameters of the yellow set to be 11-20%, and the red set to be 21-30%. Etc, etc.
Don
Don, that is exactly what I am envisioning.  Just the progressive lights. 
We will be installing a Racepak logging dash which will grab plenty of data, displaying some of it.  But like you, i don't really look at the numbers while running unless there is something specific like how AF is in a certail rpm range, say dangerously lean on a shakedown pass.

Is it a complicated task to build (or have built) a box which just has the led's and their controller?

I am checking whether Racepak can output wheel mph and maybe GPS to a gauge, and if to a gauge, why not to your slipometer?

But all that said, i gotta say that i have never driven a racecar on the salt at all, and don't know if the LED strip would be useful at all???  I just find the idea intriguing and want to pursue it unless it is a solid nonstarter.
Your post gives me encouragement, THANKS!
Karl