Author Topic: Wheel Slip Indicator?  (Read 18625 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Wheel Slip Indicator?
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Does there now exist a simple, inexpensive aftermarket wheel slip indicator (I know, I know, it's your rear end)? What I am envisioning is something like LED lights that indicate when your front and rear wheels are a certain % out of sync. This is not traction control because it does not control anything. Internet searching reveals that it is on some OEM vehicles but nothing about aftermarket devices. Anything?
Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Wheel Slip Indicator?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Yes its called a tachometer!......   better yet, get traction controll
Kent

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Well all I know is this weekend at Maxton I did not need an instrument to indicate my wheel spin,, it was evident to me and anyone from the start to the quarter mile marker,,,  :cheers: :cheers:

"It was not a 1/4 mile Burn Out"  it was just an extreme loss of adhesion !!!

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:17 PM »
Rick Y. used to run front and rear wheel speeds with bicycle speedos. cheap and fairly accurate when calibrated correctly.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
You have two free ones, one on the right the other on the left.  If you want to keep them working good use  ear plugs. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
Don, please post any info you find out about this.  It does not appear to be impossible.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:01 AM »
The factory types compare the electrical signal generated by the wheel speed sensors which are nothing more than low voltage generators.  most of us run different size tires front to rear if the rear generates more it would be spinning.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:36:58 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
It wouldn’t be that hard to build one.  You could use two wheel speed sensors and a CAN interface.  Also your coding would need to have some values for acceptable wheel slip so you wouldn’t get a false reading.  But if your going to all this trouble might as well add some more functions and at that point it will be faster to use an off the shelf data logger.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
I understand the Al Teague's liner had such a device. It worked thru a row small lights, green when it had no slip and a line of ambers which showed how far he was off, I heard it had come from Banks and I'm sure it was used with a data aquisition system. He controlled the slip with his right foot....JD

PS: Don't take this to the bank, I just heard about it.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Unh, there's an expensive way to do it -- with a data logger.  For instance, our MoTeC has inputs where we send information from front and rear wheel speed sensors.  We calibrate the unit to account for the difference in wheel circumference - and then we teach the MoTeC to give us whatever output signals we want.  In the present case we have programmed it to turn on a bright yellow light, labeled "Wheel Spin" when the rear speed exceeds the front speed by 7%.  Everything is programmable.

But the MoTeC ain't cheap, and if all you're going to do is wheel slip indicating -- you can do it lots of other ways.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
Brandon and I were thinking of building one like Teague's.
Maybe if we built a batch of them we could all share in development cost?
How many would be interested? Might be a fun group project.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

RogerL

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
I use a MoTec system and it works great. have a light that tells he when i get to a preset % slip. will be activating the traction control piece this year. because the car is all wheel drive, have had to adapt a GPS system to input the car velocity. Commercial GPS generally is not sensitive or responsive enough to provide input. i use a system made in the UK that was developed for just that purpose. as stated above, it is somewhat expensive, but the MoTec offers a ton of options for data logging and tuning. i originally bought the MoTec because of the complexity associated with running compressed natural gas as the fuel. found that it had a lot of additional features, some useful, some just cool. pm me if you would like more info.

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Don, I have wheel speed discs that bolt on the front and rear 'Busa wheels if you think that may help you. EM me if you have questions. Thanks!  Scott 
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

saltfever

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 06:03:18 AM »
Turk had something simple on the Camaro. He mentioned it was useful in another forum. Maybe Keith will speak up.

Vehicles rarely have the same diameter wheels front and back and would have to compensate somehow. Motec is out-o-my league! . . . but I am sure interested in alternatives.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
It could be done with prox sensors and metallic discs.  The number on each wheel would compensate for tire size.  The prox could be sent to a simple "black box" that counted each, and output the difference to LED lights.  I am not an electronics guy, but we have done similar devices for my day job.  One of my kids teachers told me what I needed to get for circuits at Radio Shack (under $30) and he put it together for me.  I then made a nice cover.  came out nice.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.