Author Topic: Production Side Car??  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Beairsto Racing

Production Side Car??
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:19 AM »
I've often wondered if a factory side car outfit could compete in a production side car class? HD, Ural and others have produced side car bikes from the factory.

Would it be considered a new class or just an interpretation of the existing classes? I believe a new class requires SCTA approval and a minimum of 3 competitors. Obviously the motorcycles have more than enough classes now...just thinking out loud.

The side car / wheel on a stick debate has been entertaining but I don't recall seeing an actual full sized side car on the salt, other than a Ural. The Siberian Speed Team set a couple of records with a Ural (650 SC-PF  104.686mph), I was curious if they could have run in a production class if the bike was stock in appearance.

I have a '74 350 Jawa that was ordered from the factory with a Velorex side car, I have the documents and brochures. I have seen a scary top speed of 62mph (GPS) while drafting a mini van LOL. I would never run it on the salt because I'm sure it wouldn't live long at full throttle, but I've always wondered if it would run on an open record?

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Production Side Car??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:13:40 AM »
I had a quick look around and didn't see a mention of a production sidecar class.  I can only assume one doesn't exist.  I suppose you oud petition the SCTA for a class.  Stan Back, I'm sure, would back you on that.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
At one time prior to the 1990's SCTA/BNI had various classes within the sidecars..........BUT the SCTA/BNI
in their wisdom put them all together under SC (sidecars) and SCS (sidecar streamliners)....Of course it should be noted that at that point in time we were the only sidecars racing the salt (2 to 3 outfits)
As we all know "racers"? decited this was a great way to make "club points" at El Mirage, and now we have a whole group of "wheel on a sticks" competing, but very few make it to BNI Speedweek and the salt.  However, at the annual BUB meet at Bonneville we have a very good sidecar turn out ( 11 in 2009)
you have the option of using a passenger or run with ballast as a "wheel on a stick"  At this point BUB has only SC and SCS for classes with both paying a cash purse........but if enough interest is shown
a "production or street" class would certainly be considered.......and I may even put up some dollars for the fastest...
Question authority.....always

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
What class(es) does the H-D Servicycle run in?  Can you put a sidecar on it?  A trailer?  Convert to small-block Chevy?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »
Thinking (something I don't do much) about it -- it may have less aero than a roadster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
at 09 speedweek there were 179 motorcycle entries --12 were sidecar entries---and 12 sidecar records were broken ---as for my sidecar it has served me well --it has broken 9 records in 3 years of which only 2 were open records--it is legal for scta-fim-ama-ecta-drla-and any other land racing event there is--i ask ounce again not to refer to it as a  wheel on a stick--thank you willie buchta

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
Even with the Buell power this one probably wouldn't go too fast but it sure is pretty
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Willie --

12 records were broken -- or 12 records were set at SpeedWeek?

Stan

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
stan  6 were broken and 6 were set ---i was in the first group                     willie buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
The SCTA requires a minimum platform (12" x 32") which is more than can be said for the F.I.M.

Genuine, 100% F.I.M. legal wheel on a stick.

By weslake at 2007-11-26

Genuine, 100% SCTA legal  SIDECAR.

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2010-01-29

No more "wheel on a stick" baloney please.

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
seriously, its a wheel on two sticks....

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
Joe,  If you look closely at the top photo you'll see a third stick.

ScottG

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:19:42 PM by ScottG »

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »
Main Entry: side·car
Pronunciation: \ˈsīd-ˌkär\
Function: noun
Date: 1903
1 : a car attached to the side of a motorcycle for a passenger

From Webster's, keyword here "PASSENGER"

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »

From Webster's, keyword here "PASSENGER"

Keyword "PASSENGER".       Hmmmmm............................................

By weslake at 2010-04-08

I guess the above doesn't qualify as a "sidecar".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:56:32 PM by Nortonist 592 »