Author Topic: Restoring the Burke Bros Avanti  (Read 33014 times)

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
Re: Restoring the Burke Bros Avanti
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
A local TV station di a story on my quest for speed. Check it out:
KCOY TV Santa Maria.com
Sports
Local sports stories
The Bucket List Racer
Enjoy.
Still short on funds to get to Bonneville. Stll hoping that something will happen. Would hate to think we worked this hard and sacrificed so much and not make it. The car is being prepped for paint.

Will be primed tomorrow. Painted on Monday. Lettered on Tuesday and Wednesday. Pick it up on Friday. Work all weekend to get it ready. Engine by Wednesday. Leave for Bonnville on Thursday if money comes in. Relying on donations is rough but exciting none the less.
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline Avanti Dan

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
Well things did not work out. We will not be going to Speed Week. The engine is not ready. Problems with the block. Hope to make it to World of Speed next month.  :-(
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline GH

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
Dan, that's bad news, I was looking forward to seeing the car and visiting with you (if I had the time). It seems like every year I plan on seeing more people and get too busy with racing and the days seem too short.

Offline dw230

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
I agree on both points Gary. Sorry you won't make it Dan, WoS is a good event. You will enjoy the USFRA and will be able to get more runs in, cooler weather too.

It always amazes me that we are in a small community approx 5 x 3 miles in size and you cannot see everyone you know in a week.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Freud

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
It was so much easier when there was only one course. Everyone was in the same line.

Walk the line and if they weren't there, they were in their pits and the pits weren't a mile long.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:38 PM »
Between the city at The Bend and the size of the Pit, they should both have their own zipcodes!!!   :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline t russell

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
Dan you have done more than 99% of the world.
terry

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:29 AM »
hop u have the handeling problem solved espically if u plan on going any faster than140mph good luck Mike :cheers:

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Just came across a box of old pictures in the shed, and found this one inside, from 1996.

Offline Avanti Dan

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »
We DID It!!!!
We made it to World of Speed. We used a 1957 Packard (Studebaker) 289 cubic inch engine that was all original and reportedly had only 22,000 miles on it before the owner tried to race a train and lost. The block suffered some damage but was useable. The pan and valve covers were wadded up so we replaced them. New freeze plugs, replaced the cam with a used R1 cam to get an aluminum cam gear for good measure, new valve springs and all new gaskets and seals. Unfortunately we didn't want to disturb the internals so we didn't replace the head gaskets. Bad call on our part. Installed a Novi 2000 belt driven centrifugal supercharger in place of the factory McCullough. Used an R2 blow through carb and an ice water intercooler. We figured the engine could push the car to 130 or 140. A 1957 Golden Hawk similarly equipped ran 147 in '57 so that was our model. We made six runs. Once we got the tune right we saw the car exceed all our expectations running 159 miles per hour!! Everyone was very surprised and pleased to see this "used" engine run that fast. We knew going into the last run that we were pushing compression betwee en two cylinders but didn't want to go home without knowing just what it could do. The car handled extremely well. We got the front end dead nuts on. It started and ended in the groove I put it in. I was able to drive it with my finger tips and never had to make a correction. Not even when I hit the ruts at the four mile mark. It was blast to drive and the reality was everything I dreamed it would be. Awesome!!
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline Avanti Dan

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »
Opps. Forgot the pictures.

I want to thank all of the people who make Land Speed Racing possible. You made my battle with cancer worth the fight just to make it to Bonneville and fly down the salt. God willing I'll be back next year. Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
Good on ya Dan,
I hope eveything else goes as well as that meet did, 159 is haulin' but most of all you ran on the salt ...there's nothin else that comes close.

DrG
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »
Great story Dan!  :cheers:

Lots of folks were cheering for you. I'm glad you shared your project build with us.

I wish you success in your future challenges.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline jl222

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

Amazing that you could run that well on an old engine like that :-o Good job :cheers:
  Having lived in Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez for most of my life the pics out of the shop look like the area close to Santa Maria but it says your from Indy?

JL222

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
Way to go Dan!  Very inspirational!  Hope to see you next year on the Salt!  I'll be watching your racingstudes thread for updates!

Chris