Author Topic: Question for turbo guys  (Read 5563 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Question for turbo guys
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
Hmmmm, The problem is that 140 degree air is occurring at the worst possible time.
That's why I like turbos because I can budget my heat via boost controller but keep in mind, I have not done this real successfully yet. Just saying "in theory".
You may want to look at the latest intercooler technology as things have changed recently. The cores have gotten smaller and only work if you exchange the water very fast, but as long as you have enough ice water, they won't heat soak. 36 psi is a lot of boost!

We have a large intercooler with a 55 cal min pump and were not drag racing were a big heavy intercooler is a handicap.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
At the time i was running turbos it was kind of before EFI. Don't think I had ever heard of it. I just had a sealed container with water in it and a line to the intake manifold. Got boost? Got pressure in the container which pushes water to a nozzle in top of the carburetor. Very simple but effective. Don't forget, at that time I pretty much thought most parts had to pay their dues as a OEM part before I brought it home from the junkyard for the race car.

Similar to our old setup worked pretty good.

JL222

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
water injection is for sissy's who only run 20lbs boost or less.... when ya get up in the 30's water don't help at all...... if yer ex valves are warpn ya better step up yer spring pressure
Kent

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
water injection is for sissy's who only run 20lbs boost or less.... when ya get up in the 30's water don't help at all...... if yer ex valves are warpn ya better step up yer spring pressure
Kent

How about 250 lbs boost  [ tractor pullers and no intercoolers] and we have 300lbs on the seat.
 Not warrpn strechn

JL222

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
Hey Rich, I don't coat anything....   :evil:

I don't inject anything other than the fuel....   :evil:

Never streched a valve or burnt a piston due to tune up....   :evil: 

Interesting subject.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
Kent

Sissy's?

JL222

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 06:59:34 PM »
Hey Rich, I don't coat anything....   :evil:

I don't inject anything other than the fuel....   :evil:

Never stretched a valve or burnt a piston due to tune up....   :evil: 

Interesting subject.

At the time I was running a twin turbo single four barrel suck through GMC 6. They all run hot between #5 and #6 and my flow balance was very poor. As was I. My thought at the time and now was I put the fuel and air and spark in there to generate heat. Once I had it I wanted to use all I could to push on the piston or drive the turbine. I would think that with turbo charged motorcycle engines a lot of the heat gets wasted. Or any aluminum head motor. Buying good pistons made a big difference in how long they lived. But you have to start somewhere.

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
I personally don't like or use coatings of any kind. I have tried them in the past and the parts due last longer, but I like to read my plugs and if your pistons are coated you will not see signs of detonation on the plugs even while you are beating the bearings out of it-unless it is extreme and then you will find out the hard way.
 I am pretty interested in that timing curve generator your talking about. I would like to see what it rec. for my application as I am pretty sure I could add several more degree safely I just never have enough time to test this as it already makes more power than I have used so far. Is this 3.9 only for big blocks or does it work for any engine ?
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
Evo,
No, it works for any engine. You will just need to choose a different combustion chamber shape. Try it, you'll like it. Best $400 I ever spent in hot rodding.  You can download the program and it will run for free for 10 days. If you like it, just call Kevin with your card info and he give you the codes to make it permanent. Good luck this weekend!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com