Author Topic: SFI 3A/20 or 3A/15 fire suit  (Read 16365 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: SFI 3A/20 or 3A/15 fire suit
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »
Charles,
Everyone should wear fireproof undies.  I have seen people wear black nylon socks and BVD's and get burned from the elastic. Do you how the doctor removes the nylon & elastic??? OUCH!!!

Here are the specs for firesuits.
SFI Rating     TPP Value     Time to 2nd Degree Burn
3.2A/1    6    3 Seconds
3.2A/3    14    7 Seconds
3.2A/5    19    10 Seconds
3.2A/10    38    19 Seconds
3.2A/15    60    30 Seconds
3.2A/20    80    40 Seconds
How long would it take you to stop from 220 mph and get out of the car? How much longer does it take for Fire & Rescue to get to you???
I don't wear shoes, only boots because long ago I have the fire pants pull up off the shoe top exposing my fire socks about an inch while getting into my rear engined dragster. The motor let go & the fire came forward under the car around the floor and burned me...never again...funnycar boots only.

Those life lessons hurt.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »
These suits don't look too bulky, not much I guess I can do about gloves or boots. Just moreso worried about the boots, the pedals on these cars are pretty dam close together and it seems it might trip me up.  Guess its better than burning my legs off.

http://deist.com/nomex-deluxe-racing-suit-sfi-32a20-p-36.html

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_557&products_id=10225&sort=

they are a little more exspensive but if it makes my life any easier driving the car its worth it.

You guys reccomend 1pc over 2 pc?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:42:27 PM by Johntsi »

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
Did I read the rules wrong? I thought I needed 20 boots to go over 200, it is really just 15?  If so I can just get these

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_554&products_id=9018

instead of these

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_584&products_id=2239

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
John, from the 2010 SCTA Rulebook

Blown Front Engine Cars over 175 (that would be you)

Suit SFI 3.2A/20
Boots SFI 3.3/15
Gloves SFI 3.3/15
Head Sock SFI 3.3

You must wear a Head Sock or Helmet Skirt

I prefer the helmet Skirt for Maxton. Not as hot as a Head Sock.

The Simpson shoes like like the way to go for you.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
John,

Stroud has Funny Car Boots as well (2 styles) ,,, not as "good looking" as Simpson, but they can save you 33% to 50%  from what I saw on the price list.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
Is the SCTA/ECTA going to ban Impact suits/equipment along with the rest of the world?
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline White Monster

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »
Daryl,

Not sure that the world has banned Impact products ... it is really a legal issue regarding counterfeit SFI conformance labels.  The SFI announcement states;

Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community. To SFI's knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling.

Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.

SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact's counterfeiting activities.

SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.

SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI's mission and purpose.

So in short, at least it should not affect the ECTA April meet.
 :-P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:28:29 AM by White Monster »
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »
 I spoke with Joe Timney today about that very subject he said they were going to take a bit of a wait and see approach. The products are as safe as they ever were its just a licensing issue. Was told they will be fine for April. Don't know if I would buy any new Impact stuff until it gets worked out but no need to run out and replace items already purchased. That's my understanding but I'm not a official so if in doubt ask for yourself. Sam

Offline desotoman

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
You might want to read reply #6 under this post.

Tom G.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7686.msg119626/topicseen.html#new
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
 Desotoman I understand and feel that this is inexcusable from a manufacture I'm just trying to clarify for people that ECTA will still be accepting Impact gear at least for the April race in less than 2 week. Thanks for the update and should be interesting to see how this all plays out to say the least. Sam