Author Topic: Engines in tandem?  (Read 24702 times)

Offline russ jensen

Ivo's rig
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 12:51:53 AM »
8)Just happen to have a goodyear  11/16 dragway spcl with Ivo's name chalked on sidewall, grooved and run on stock car. presently on my lawnmower. Other discussion reminds me of local saying{horsepower is for going fast & torque is for pulling stumps}.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline davejohn18

• New folks
Re: Engines in tandem?
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 04:59:47 AM »
              The replacement of cylinder are in good position.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
              The replacement of cylinder are in good position.

okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay , lets just sit down and , um, talk about this....................
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!   we heard the light swich pop on over here-----let us in on the----enlighment????????????  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
All your base are belong to us
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jl222

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »

got on wrong spot :-D

Well I'll say something anyway. A duel engine Harley was in line near us at El Mirage and I'm thinkin '' somebodys actually going to get on that thing?'' :-o

JL222
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:58:15 PM by jl222 »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »
There are a number of posts on this topic on horsepower, speed, and torque.  This is my experience.

The Triumph engine I ran in 2007 produced 42 foot pounds torque at 3,500 rpm.  The engine did not have much torque over 6,000 rpm so I ran a big 19 tooth countershaft sprocket.  I ran just under 100 mph that year.  I set the gearing so the engine was at about 6,000 rpm when I was going as fast as I could.

South Bay Triumph enlarged the intake valves 2mm and ported the head during winter 2007-2008.  Now it had 50 foot pounds torque at 7,500 rpm.  This is a 19 percent increase in torque and the bike felt about 19 percent more powerful.  It was better, but not as good as I wanted.  I was not happy.  Lots of money spent for not much more get up and go.

I reset the gearing so the engine would be just past 7,500 when the bike was going to go as fast as it could.  The countershaft sprocket size went from 19 to 18.  The rear sprocket went from 33 to 34.  This made a big difference.  The bike went real fast.  I scared myself.  Life was good.  The bike went just over 120 during the 2008 speed trials.

This made me do a lot of late night figuring and calculations.  The gears and sprockets in a bike act as levers.  The reworked engine, with its more high revving nature, was geared with a higher ratio (engine rpm/wheel rpm).  It had a lot better leverage on the pavement and salt than the earlier low rev version.

This is my feeling, anyway, about why peanut sized high revving bikes go so fast.  It is the gearing.  Their high rpm engines allow them to be geared at higher ratios, and they use this better leverage to their advantage.