Author Topic: LANYARD KILL SWITCH  (Read 5118 times)

Offline FADED

LANYARD KILL SWITCH
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
Hi its me again with yet another question? I need to install a lanyard kill switch on my bike, are there any particular ones to buy and where? I've looked for them but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated. THANKS AGAIN, LANCE

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: LANYARD KILL SWITCH
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
Faded, try the search... discussed a lot, there are many types available.  Pingle, MPS, others  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
try your local snowmobile or water craft shop                                                       willie buchta

Offline FADED

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
COOL THANKS, is there specific ones they they look for in tech? Or does it just have to be functional?
Will this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OUTBOARD-SAFTEY-KILL-SWITCH-WITH-LANYARD_W0QQitemZ330388816932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item4cecb54424#ht_850wt_695
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:08:49 AM by FADED »

Offline FADED

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »
try your local snowmobile or water craft shop                                                       willie buchta
HI Willie am I still gonna see you on Thurs with the leathers?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »
Make sure the one you get is for "your" engine.  There are some for two-strokes (which may include outboard motors) that open the negative lead, and some that'll open the positive, and some that'll just ground the ignition lead going to the magneto (or something.  It's early -- no coffee yet).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
I had really hoped there would be more information here. For the project i'm working on (turbine powered alered partial streamliner) i need the oil pump to keep running after the engine to cool it down. Could i get it approved if the killswitch lanyard only shut off the fuel pump which would stop the engine from running while allowing the oil pump to do what it needs to do to prevent major engine damage? My SCTA rulebook hasn't arrived yet, so i'll ask here.
Wierd is good

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:19:39 PM »
I don't think that'd be a show-stopper, but I'd expect you'd be asked to demonstrate that it does shut down the engine positively.  Let's see if someone can find a specific reason why it won't pass tech -- I'd like to know, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
i need the oil pump to keep running after the engine to cool it down.  pump to do what it needs to do to prevent major engine damage?
Hydraulic accumulator, a pressure vessel that uses a spring or gas pressure to provide oil under pressure without any electrical power!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
if you are talking about a scta event the lanyard has to kill the ignition and the electric fuel pump if you have one---doesnt say anything about  electric oil pump--lights --or radio     willie buchta

if you need it i will quote the rule book
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:53:14 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
if you are talking about a scta event the lanyard has to kill the ignition and the electric fuel if you have one---doesnt say anything about  electric oil pump--lights --or radio     willie buchta

if you need it i will quote the rule book

"Electric fuel"  new class..?   :-D

See you Guys and Gals in a few weeks...off to the bottom of the World or "down under" as some say..

Take care and have fun... :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
This is my choice at the moment, a plastic copy of a pingle
It's all plastic construction, fully sealed and has the option for normally open or normally closed switching
It has a fairly stiff spring, so it doesn't fall out but i think that the plastic curly lanyard bit is rubbish
It is less directional so  will also pull out if you go over the bars
so I would replace it with one of those Disc lock curly things that have a wire in them
As for where you could get them in the USA. I'm not really sure
Last one I bought cost me about $40.00 AU
And yes, If you come to Lake Gairdiner, and get me in motorcycle scrutineering, I will ask you to demonstrate to me that it stops the bike
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
I had really hoped there would be more information here. For the project i'm working on (turbine powered alered partial streamliner) i need the oil pump to keep running after the engine to cool it down. Could i get it approved if the killswitch lanyard only shut off the fuel pump which would stop the engine from running while allowing the oil pump to do what it needs to do to prevent major engine damage? My SCTA rulebook hasn't arrived yet, so i'll ask here.

During the crash your motor may ingest all types of crap.... is it really going to matter...  :| 

The only time the lanyard will shut you down is when you are no longer the rider of the bike.  Some of us have seen bikes bring themselves back into control after the rider has departed... or is being dragged.... then like the bunny, they just keep going and going.... The rule says it must shut the motor off.... how it does it is up to you.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:59 AM »
Some of the cheaper kill switches can come loose due to all of the shaking that happens and kill the engine when you want it to go.  This year we are using one of Pingel's best quality switches.  The tech inspectors see a lot of these and we know it will be OK.  The tether will be a length of mason's twine.  This is strong enough to yank the pin out and weak enough to break if it gets tangled in anything.