Author Topic: Methanol - What is a good price?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
Methanol - What is a good price?
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
My local Union 76 dealer sells VP Racing Fuels.  I have a price quote from him, $3.95 a gallon.  I've been given the task of buying a 55 gallon drum and taking it to Speed Week.  Is that a fair price?  If not, where in the Los Angeles area is a good place to get some?

SFD

Offline fwillyj

Re: Methanol - What is a good price?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
What about calling Rick Gold at ERC and see what he gets, and maybe he'd haul it to Bonneville for you on his fuel truck?
 1-800-445-1479

landracing

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 02:04:00 AM »
Steven,

Also be carefull of shipment of fuel to bonneville. there was some limitations on how much you could carry at one time since 9/11.

Ed Van Scoy usually gives a report on that sometime before speedweek

Also make sure to have tailer, tow vehicle, and drum properly marked with contents and haz mat labels. Fire extinquisher on board too. Just something to look into.

Jonathan

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »
I think the best deal would be to have ERC bring a drum for you. You won't have the trouble of marking, etc. Pay Rick at the salt. You can return with the balance or sell it to others. Ask Rick about a pump to get the stuff out of thr drum. Don't put the stuff into Sparkletts water jugs - that's a story for Salt Talks.

Dan

Hank

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip fwillyj and Dan.I will be running methanol in one of the bikes this year if Seb gets it done,and that sounds like the way to go instead of hauling it down from here.

<small>[ July 17, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Hank ]</small>

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »
I know this sounds funny but if you carry over 1000 pounds of fuel you need to have placards and permits as I have heard it. I carry about 40 gal of nitro and 20 gal of methanol and am not over weight. Methanol is the lighter of the 2.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »
Yes, thanks to all for the ERC tip.  I did talk to someone at ERC (not Rick), and he said they will have methanol available.  He didn't know the price, but said that last year it was about $3/gallon.  So now my task is to bring some 5 gallon cans.

landracing

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »
Rick also sells the super nice ERC 5 gallon metal cans, fuel can always stay good in them unlike the plastic counterparts.

I think they are like $10 or $15 for the cans but well worth every penny. Just also call him and tell him to bring whatever you need.

Last year I think he brought about 5 of them.

Jonathan