Author Topic: 150 club first?  (Read 4445 times)

Offline basher13

150 club first?
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »
Is there anything that says I need to run in the 130 club first? The way I'm reading things is the 130 is a 1 mile and the 150 is a 2 1/4mile course, I'm thinking longer is better...
This will be the first year the car is ran and it won't be breaking any records, more of a shakedown and to see how it handles at speed. The mile maybe just fine, may top out and not be going any faster, without experiencing this before I have no clue.
Cars a 53 Studebaker (kinda) with a 289 and 3spd with o/d, 3.54 rear gears, 28" and 30" rear tires (not at the same time) lowered down with full cage and all the safety equipment for club racing. What distance is time only?
 :cheers: Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline DavidinDurango

Re: 150 club first?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
Basher,

I thought the 150 was easier - 2 miles to get up to speed (it took me a mile and a little).

The 130 is way harder than it sounds - traction is an issue (but this depends on salt conditions).  I lucked into it as my car wouldn't spin the tires in fifth even on boost, so I just sort of eased up into fifth and hammered it.

That was my experience.  The 130 is way cheaper and far less safety requirements.

Have fun, be safe.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
I was just talking with the USFRA folks about this.  The 130 club would require plates and insurance on the car, unless you can convince the folks that you're worthy of an exemption.  You want to sort out over the distance, so I'd just jump right into the 150 club.  The rules are listed on the USFRA site -

http://www.saltflats.com/

Hmmm . . . A Stude on the salt flats . . . That's rare . . . :-D

Just picking on ya, Basher.  Truth is, this is the only motor sport where you might see more Stude's than Camaros.  Stude powered, or Ford?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
Time only is the same as class racing. Except there is no record involved. But the course length is the same

Offline basher13

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
Rich, if it's the same as class racing do I need to have the gear to run 200+?

The car is plated and can be insured, it's being built to play on the salt but is still street legal. Running all Stude drivetrain to see what it'll do, may be cheaper to go faster with another brand but we're playin with the stude for now.
Thanks
Dan
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:06:01 AM by basher13 »
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »
If you are wanting to run class legal, you don't HAVE to run 200, but you do have to have safety equip for class record speed, such as chute, fire ext, fire suit, etc.
"because plan A never works"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
By saying that TO was the same as class racing I was referring to your question about the distance for Time Only. three miles unless you run better than 175 in the 2 1/4 then 5 miles. But you are correct that a Time Only car will need all the safety equipment as an equivalent Class car. You may be able to get an OK to run with 175 legal safety equipment by asking the board for a waiver before hand. That would be something I would be looking into as early as possable if I wanted to do it.

Offline JamesLaMere

• WoS'07
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
130 Club - street-legal, stock lap/shoulder belts, driveshaft loop, 5# fire bottle, SNELL helmet, long sleeves, H/V/W/Z tires/metal stems. ~$100 - sideshow located away from long course action, tech/racing start 2nd-day of WoS. Timing equip. problems delayed racing last year.

150 Club -  street-legal, 4pt. roll bar/seat brace, 4-pt. harness/arm restraints, driveshaft loop. 5# fire bottle, 3.2A/1 suit/shoes/gloves, SNELL helmet/ neck collar, V/W/Z/& race tires/metal stems. ~$450 - run "short" 3-miles of long course, tech/racing start 1st-day of WoS.

Both series are good intros to racing on Salt.
James

GANDE

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:54:47 AM »
You do not have to run the 130 Club first. 130 Club should start the first day shortly after the long course. Last year there was a teeny bit of water that shortened  set up time and delayed the 130 Club start. Next year plans are to have a 130/150 club inspection line to reduce confusion. 150 Club entrants do not have to be street legal or registered. 150 club is timed from the 2 to the 2 1/4 exit as soon as safe after that. If you go through the 3 mile faster than your quarter time you will receive a tongue lashing and no timing slip.

G