Author Topic: LSR Tire Recommendations Needed  (Read 8965 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: LSR Tire Recommendations Needed
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
I'll go along with what Glen and Bvillercr say for sure. However I think cars spin because they lose traction- lots of power, not much traction. Especially short, rear weighted highpowered roadsters.  I don't know what Dynoroom used on his bird but Gary Eaker had some sort of wide tire on his and went straight with near 300 times also.  Am not sure the specific loading of a narrow one on the salt is better than a wider one or some other advantage, but mostly think the wide tire is an aerodynamic downside due to frontal area and yes, you won't see on a lakester-usually- depends on whats available and where being run. Not sure a magic answer. I posted the link more for the surface/traction info and thoughts than the tires per se, but I surely agree different strokes (tires) for different folks.  Sort of like the locked rear arguement. If you spin with a locker, put an open rear in it. If you spin with an open rear, put a locker in it! :cheers:

Try it out, then go from there.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
We have more power than most and we don't have issues with tire spin in 3rd or high gear.  I just wonder what kind of set up the cars that spun had?  Rigid or suspended and how stiff if suspended.  Looks like we have a good set up for our car. :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
And a lot of it is lack of seat time under the conditions of the salt. It's not a drag race and takes a soft foot as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
And a lot of it is lack of seat time under the conditions of the salt. It's not a drag race and takes a soft foot as well.
Ahhhh, does Mrs Boyd Coddington and associated fiascos ring a bell?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
Ahhhh, does Mrs Boyd Coddington and associated fiascos ring a bell?
:-D

Offline dickj

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »
Wide tires work fine on pavement like Texas Mile, Maxton and Loring.  Wide tires on salt can perform as though they are hydroplaning - even when the salt is perfectly dry.  All those guys who tried them in the past provided enough "corporate knowledge" to suggest that the narrow tire is the only way to go on salt. 

DickJ
In East Texas

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
Wide tires work fine on pavement like Texas Mile, Maxton and Loring.  Wide tires on salt can perform as though they are hydroplaning - even when the salt is perfectly dry.  All those guys who tried them in the past provided enough "corporate knowledge" to suggest that the narrow tire is the only way to go on salt. 

DickJ
In East Texas

really, so how does a car go 285 in the first timed mile if the tires are hydroplainning? :roll:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:13:17 AM »

DickJ
In East Texas

really, so how does a car go 285 in the first timed mile if the tires are hydroplainning? :roll:

DICK, I'm waiting for a response?  Anyone want to take a crack at this?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
 :-D Have you been working with the Propster??  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
:-D Have you been working with the Propster??  :evil:

are you speaking of Dick, Sparky?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
Dick is probably on the way to The Texas Mile.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:43 AM »
Naw man---I just KNEW you had to have some secret weapon to get them big ole fat tars down the course and I figured it must be you have them "on step" and are planing on down the course pushing them with a prop   :-D ----  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
The difference is that I can back up my claims. :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Yeah, but that spoils all the fun. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Bruno

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
I am not much of a pro, having only run one year, but  narrow tires and a whole lot of lead is the way to go.  I ran my 1990 ZR1 with 4.5 X 28 X 15 in the rear and about 2000# of lead with 640 Hp and it ran straight and true to 219 mph.  tried removing 100# from the rear in an attempt to go faster earlier. And things got way loose once I was over  215,  on the salt weight is definately your friend.  Also one of the  things I learned was that its still a drag race, and you need to hook up early if you want to get to 230 plus you better be going 215 by the  2.25 mark, as a whole lot of track goes under the car every second once your at speed.

my comment after my first run was man, 5 miles is short:)

Good Luck

Dave
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:49:50 PM by Bruno »