Author Topic: Not going to make it to Maxton this year  (Read 6375 times)

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
Not going to make it to Maxton this year
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »
It looks like I won`t make it to Maxton this year. I still have quite a few items to complete on my car, it`s like building a ship in a bottle, and I`m going to have Prostate surgery April 5th. That means I`ll be unable to work on my car for at least a few weeks. I have completed some things since my last post. I`ve ordered a canopy from Todd`s Canopies, more on that after I receive it. I now have new tires and have started cutting louvers in the body. I`ve still got paint and bodywork to do, and the whole thing will have to be taken apart to complete welding and painting the frame and suspension. I`ve been working on this for about 5 years, so there`s no reason to get in a hurry now.

Jeff

Offline jreken

Re: Not going to make it to Maxton this year
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »
Jeff

Just because your car is not ready doesn't mean you can't come and volunteer. Joe and Donna come from Delaware, Keith and Tonya (escape) from Alabama and I come down from New Jersey. Come up to the timing tower, the best view of the track, and we'll teach you the run computer. If you can turn a wrench you can do it.  Greensboro can't be more than a day round trip. Think about it.

From the tower

John

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »
Thanks, John, but surgery is scheduled for the 5th and I won`t be able to leave the house for at least a couple of weeks after surgery. Maybe I can make it later in the year, but not the first meet.

Jeff

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »
Jeff -- Yeah, take it easy after the surgery.  No bowling or polka dancing for at least two weeks, you hear?

And thanks for the reminder about prostate.  We've discussed prostate health here on this site/Forum many times - especially since we've lost so many racers to prostate troubles.  So therefore:  If you haven't had your regular physical checkup, fellas, get thee to the doctor soon - and submit to the indignity of having hm violate your private areas to do a physical inspection of the prostate.  Have your blood work include a PSA test (whether you believe in them or not - they can provide valuable information to your physician).

I had the physical just last week and am going in for the bloodwork (12-hour fasting -- no hurry to stay hungry) in a week or so.  And don't be afraid to post your results here.  Seeing and talking about this male problem might help convince someone that's been putting it off -- that it's a vital thing to do so we can all keep racing as long as we want to do so.

Jeff, best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to good health.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes. I`m sure everything will will work out just fine, it`s just going to slow me down for a little while. And I agree with you about having a PSA test. That`s how they found my cancer. I`ve always had an physical every year, and never had any increase in my PSA numbers until last spring when it started to rise. After seeing a urologist, and having two biopsies ( OUCH! ), he said I needed to do something about it so I decided on the robotic surgery because recovery is quicker. You`re back home the next day if all goes as expected.

Jeff

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
Glad this came up. Last week I became a participant in a prostate study. It is a year long deal which involved a shot of medication directly to the prostate gland. I hope this study will benefit men to decrease the effects of this aliment.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
A couple of years ago I enrolled in a prostate study - to determine if there was truth to the "rumors" that either Vitamin E or selenium was effective in preventing prostate cancer.  It was to be a ten-year study and involved more than 32,000 men.

After about 4 years the study revealed that both E and selenium had more adverse effects than good.  I don't remember which was which -- but one of them was linked with the onset of diabetes, the other with some other undesirable condition.  The study was immediately halted.

But if nothing else, the study was able to show that some of the "wive's tales" about those two items were wrong.  The downside of the study being halted:  I was getting free multiple vitamins (with no "E" or selenium supplement in them) for the duration.  No more.  Had to go back to buying them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
I get a PSA test twice a year. It pays to stay on top of your health. I just went through my yearly stress tests and found no problems. They did carotid doppler test on the neck and throat areaas well  ultrasound with nuclear medicine for the heart. All with passing results. Sure is a good feeling to get this kind of news.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WildBro

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
Jeff -- Yeah, take it easy after the surgery.  No bowling or polka dancing for at least two weeks, you hear?

And thanks for the reminder about prostate.  We've discussed prostate health here on this site/Forum many times - especially since we've lost so many racers to prostate troubles.  So therefore:  If you haven't had your regular physical checkup, fellas, get thee to the doctor soon - and submit to the indignity of having hm violate your private areas to do a physical inspection of the prostate.  Have your blood work include a PSA test (whether you believe in them or not - they can provide valuable information to your physician).

I had the physical just last week and am going in for the bloodwork (12-hour fasting -- no hurry to stay hungry) in a week or so.  And don't be afraid to post your results here.  Seeing and talking about this male problem might help convince someone that's been putting it off -- that it's a vital thing to do so we can all keep racing as long as we want to do so.

Jeff, best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to good health.

Isn't this procedure part of tech at Maxton??  Sure feels like it to me sometimes  :-P

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
Prostate Surgery, Tests and Probing ??
[/quote]

Isn't this procedure part of tech at Maxton??  Sure feels like it to me sometimes  :-P

Bill
[/quote]

Bill,  Just for you Bike guys  LOL

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
I see your from Greensboro!  My bike isn't ready to go at it but I'll be there in April?  We should meet up for a beer and talk about going fast?

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 05:06:21 AM »
Sounds good to me, Stop by or call my shop sometime.

Jeff

336-272-0869

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »
Sounds good to me, Stop by or call my shop sometime.

Jeff

336-272-0869

I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime in the afternoon.  Your work looks incredible and I might have some learning to do!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:54 AM »
thanks for the reminder.... its been a little over a year since my last test..... gonna have to go see Dr Cold finger..... by the way my dad beat his big "C"..... go get checked guyz!
kent

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
Being Diabetic (Type 2) I get Bloodwork 4 times a year, Doc always throws in a PSA on a regular basis. What I hate the most is the Skin cancer surgeries, 8 in the past 10 years. So keep up on the sunscreen too. And if you want an invasive procedure, visit (Dan)Warnerville sometime. :-D
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder