Author Topic: drag reduction  (Read 3277 times)

Offline hawkwind

drag reduction
« on: October 08, 2005, 11:33:19 PM »
G'day blokes
This is not a cut and paste  :wink:
My ambition is a tall order ,to exceed 300mph on a sit on bike and over the last 5 years I have been looking at ways to succeed in this venture , I have come to the conclusion that aerodynamics is the key to achieving this goal and to this end my efforts are directed .
 Due to the very restrictive partial streamlining rules for bikes ,I have taken two courses
1. endevour to have these rules changed ( for another topic at a later date )
2. Ways to minimise drag through what ever means are available that comply with the current rules .
I am experimenting with vortex generators ,turbulator tape  and boat tails ,is there anyone else experimenting with these methods ,or has in the past ? I would be very interested in your results  :D
I have found the following resources to study and hopefully expand on.

aerodynamic drag reduction of a racing motorcycle through vortex generation a thesis by Gerald M Angle II   if you wish to study it go here
http://www.library.njit.edu/staff-folders/singh/met304/resources.htm
and follow the instructions  ( is a large document )  and another resource is
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87934main_163113.pdf as well as
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf
if these whet your appitite  I have more  :D
My results to date are almost nill :oops:  because of problems in getting my bikes to run reasonaby well and only one week a year to gather data , I ran the busa last March with vortex generators of my own design twin contra rotating vortex's ,along with ziz zag tape ,but was not able to gather ant data  .next year I will be running a bike I have designed and  built myself its mainly an experimental hack to test aerodynamic ideas ,so time will tell if my ideas and such wil work ? I would love to be able to test using a wind tunnel but due to the extreem cost at least for me 1 grand an hour  this is just a wish , the other option is CFD  programmes ,but again the cost is way out of my means ,but I have found an inexpensive programme which at least has been an education for myself
http://www.aerorocket.com/aerocfd.html
I hope to here from others who are interested in this subject  :D
Gary
slower than most

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
drag reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 12:54:38 AM »
Gary I admire your attempts to pursue what most feel is the impossible however rather than try to take a Nitrous bike that has been shown in the past is not the "easiest" way to go fast, take a Turbo bike and run it as fast as you can with the experience and results from others and then apply your own designs of Vortex generators etc to fine tune it up to the speeds it can go with the better aerodynamics you are trying for.

Or what about using a model for the wind tunnel at the local university (if they have one) or create one on your own?  You have a lot of talent and it would be awesome if you could be the first 250 mph bike outside of the US or even the fastest open bike period anywhere.  I have many parts and if you need anything let me know.

John

Offline hawkwind

drag reduction
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 04:08:52 AM »
John 300 is a long term goal  :wink:  I persist with nitrous to try and achieve what Joe Amo has ,  thats what I will be running next march a 1986 1000cc kawka , the busa is undergoing a makeup with turbo , nitrous and methanol and will be running most likly 07 or 08  , thanks for the offer of  help and kind words ,
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Real World
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 08:02:54 AM »
Risk and liability are likely to limit dimensions on open bikes when they consider the effect of cross winds.
Unlimited stream liners will have operator protections provisions that allow more innovation that is reflected in speed. Most all of the bike liners have crashed and the injury rate is quite good. Open bike riders have a better crash record but the injury rate is high. That is what the sanction bodies are going to take into consideration.  The factory builders study the handling more than anybody and have a pretty good handle on the reasonable limits.
The 2 wheeled Gravity Powered Vehicle Assn spends a lot of energy on the problem and are worth looking at.  A road race builder had a hill near his shop that was used to coast down and record the results of slight changes in the fairing that were within the rules he had to deal with. Coast down is another cheap deal way to test a lot of things that will directly affect the ability to go fast.
Not falling off is just as important ans anything else you do to go fast.
"Reality in the face of conditions is better than a face plant as a result of them."(Me)
"Theoretical speeds are the product of theoretical bikes." or something like that.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

drag reduction
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:44:25 AM »
cause and effect my friend , the egg or the chicken ?I hear where you are comming from and have given it it due concideration ,do we avoid risk for the comfort of safety or push the envelope and accept the consequences ,each to his own  :D
Yes coast down testing is a valuable tool for the financially embarassed and one I will need to employ  :wink:
2 wheeled gravity powered assoc. good idea watson  8)  , as is the hpv streamliners
theoretical bikes only produce theoretical accidents  :P
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
YA but
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 11:10:58 AM »
The loss history will determine the insuability and continuity of the event unlike some of the results of the 60s.
The Human powered stream liners have a degree of protection for the operator that is constant with the speeds they are expected to go.
The cheap deal coast down method is used by some very Hi Bucks factory teams that might surprise you.
"Each to his own", only counts when you are on your own. When your results, good or bad, are compared with others, then you can establish a value.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"