Author Topic: EL MIRAGE TECH  (Read 14611 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: EL MIRAGE TECH
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
I got a Calif. MC lic. in '63.  Never renewed it.  I'm told it's still annotated on my regular license.  Don't know how.  Maybe somebody does.  Maybe you still got one, too.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »
WAIT! I need a motorcycle license? I'm not ridin on the street? I do have a expired permit, will that work?

It's the first rule in the motorcycle section, 7.A.1.
"Landspeed record attempts or Record Trails are open to all SCTA and BNI members in good standing. A current and valid state driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement is required".

A valid license with motorcycle endorsement and being a member of one of the 12 SCTA clubs is mandatory...or so I've been told.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »
No, you'll need a valid drivers license with a valid motorcycle operator endorsement.

Other stuff -- the tires must be no more than ten years old.  If you don't know how to read the manufacturer's date codes I'll help -- but it's a bit of a hassle for a first-timer, so let me know and I'll send you an email (so I don't take up too much room here).

The metal valve stems and caps:  Make sure the metal caps have rubber O-rings inside.  Yes, we do check for them.

The Snell sticker on the helmet that inspectors look for is inside, not one that's on the outside of the helmet.  They're usually hard to find, hidden under the liner.  It'll be a shiny lithographed piece about 3/4" tall by about 2" long (or so) - and is usually hard to read because of the poor lighting down there inside the helmet.  They'll look for the sticker inside -- you might do well to find it first so you can easily show them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
I got a Calif. MC lic. in '63.  Never renewed it.  I'm told it's still annotated on my regular license.  Don't know how.  Maybe somebody does.  Maybe you still got one, too.

Stan

Kiss it goodbye Stan.   Its not annotated, attached or in any way stuck to your license.  If you ever find that red hot Parilla you had you'll have to do the M/C test all over.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
Gee, Bill, most people thought that was a tire.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline bak189

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Put a "Wheel on a Stiiiiick" on you bike.....and as per law, you do not need a M/C endorsement on your operators license....................................
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:39:38 AM »
Faded,

If you want to bring the bike, gear (helmet, gloves, boots, leathers), CB (not hand held), 5 pound fire extinguisher, to Huntington Beach I will inspect it and let you know if you would pass at El Mirage/Bonneville.

You can run as a guest for two meets a year however the cost is more and you are not able to set any records..

If you need any help send me a PM or call me at work 714-369-8879 and we can run you through the process and get you ready for your first event.

As mentioned you are to be in possession of a motorcycle endorsement on your license, let me know if you need any assistance.

John

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
>>>>
Put a "Wheel on a Stiiiiick" on you bike.....and as per law, you do not need a M/C endorsement on your operators license....................................
>>>>

Be careful who you listen to, that is not correct for racing at El Mirage.

Inspection is not difficult nor an ordeal.
Contact John Noonan or myself & we'll try to get you straight.

Matt
SCTA Inspector

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure I may have triggered the motorcycle license issue. If you think getting a normal bike through tech the first time is tough, try taking something that is way different through tech. During tech somehow a motorcycle license came up in conversation. Tom and the other two tech guys looked at me like I just dropped in from outer space when I told them I didn't have one.

I rode street stuff a bazillion miles, raced every type of motorcycles, could still do the drivers test on the rear wheel. (Note 1). I got tired of being aimed at on the street and gave it up.

Oh, and don't forget to read the El Mirage Procedures. You can download it from the SCTA web site.

Note 1: Years ago John Hateley worked for my dad. He was 16 at the time and went on to get  national number 98 in AMA. Did a bunch of motorcycle stunt work in the 70's and 80's. When he was 16 he looked like he was 12 and could do ANYTHING you could think of with a motorcycle. He failed his first motorcycle test. Smart Acura that he was he popped a wheely and did the entire test on the rear wheel.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:39:25 AM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 10:53:37 AM »
At ECTA events we do check the driver license of (new to us) competitors to make sure they've got the m/c endorsement.  We then will note so on the inspection sheet.  Once in a while I randomly ask one of the long-established riders to show me their m/c endorsement, too.  There was a time a few years back that I had my driver license suspended - so if I had gone through tech I would have failed, assuming someone had checked.  No issue -- didn't race during that time.

So it's wise to have a valid license with m/c endorsement no matter how well you can ride or how long you've been riding -- the rule states that you've gotta have the license.

I remember taking my m/c endorsement test a bunch of years ago, on a borrowed KZ 400 "commuter" bike.  I did well enough -- even though I darn near dropped the bike once and didn't stop all that well.  Don't sweat the test too much (or come to Michigan to take it).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline FADED

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN, MATT, I'm sure I'll be in touch!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Lance,

Good talking with you and good luck ! ! !

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »

John Hateley

Dean,

There is a name I have not heard in ages. When I first started going to El Mirage in 1980 John's Dad (Jack) ran a Roadster with a 4 banger in it. In typical motorcycle fashion he ran a megaphone on the exhaust for the collector. I wonder if John still has his Dad's Roadster.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline FADED

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Lance,
Good talking with you and good luck ! ! !

JOHN, THANK YOU! If everyone in this hobby is as great as John and this website I should have alot of fun!

McRat

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »
Odd.  Is SCTA the only org that requires a motorcycle street license for off-road racing?

There are a lot of very experienced motorcycle racers who don't street ride.  While I've held the motorcycle endorsement since 1975, and have a few hundred k miles on the street, I don't ride on the street anymore.  I can easily see others might only race off-road.

Has there been a history of racers who aren't obeying the rules because they lack the skills required by the DMV (which is riding in circles in a parking lot)?  From experience I can tell you that running a motorcycle at 120mph in a desert race is somewhat more complicated than the DMV requires.  Heck, they had the whole "railroad crossing" thing wrong for more that a decade.